Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I was just given 30 quilt tops!! What to do with them? Ideas please... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-just-given-30-quilt-tops-what-do-them-ideas-please-t80316.html)

himnherr 12-03-2010 07:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My friends father recently died. We were at lunch one day and she says "I wish I knew someone who is into quilting." Umm.... I haven't seen her in awhile so she had no idea of my new found hobby. I jumped on it and she said when she goes to get her mom in NY she'll bring me a van load of "stuff". Well, I picked it up yesterday. In it was 3 sewing machines (already found homes for them), 30 quilt tops finished, ready to be tied (at least that's what he did with them when he finished them), a stash of fabric and thread and rulers, templates, rotary cutters, blades, bobbins and cases, and other assorted "stuff"! Trust me, I know what to do with everything but the quilt tops. haha! I picked out about 8 that I want to keep, a couple of my friends may want a few others, but there's no way we will get rid of all of them. My friend is totally happy to have them donated to a charity- I've googled various ones, but I really don't know of any that will take just a quilt top- unfinished. They are all finished to the extent that each seam is top stitched- some with fancy stitching, some just straight stitching. They seem to be all cotton - some are coordinated scrappies, some are just scrappies. They range in sizes from lap size to King! I attached just a couple of the small ones to show- the big ones are too big to spread out for pictures. :-D

dakotamaid 12-03-2010 07:09 AM

Linus Project, Downey Quilts for Kids, Quilts of Valor, just to name a few legit charities that need quilts! Others here will have more. Also, nursing homes, cancer units, etc.

Enjoy your gift!

Sorry, just reread your post, unfinished tops can be done by many LAQers who do this for these organizations. If you contact the organizations they will surely have a list of quilters who may help you finish those tops.

MomtoBostonTerriers 12-03-2010 07:11 AM

himnherr,

What a treasure trove you have inherited! This is on the order of a sunken galleon filled with gold. So glad to hear your friend bequeathed these sewing supplies to someone who will enjoy them.

Here is a recent thread about quilts given to the military servicemen in war zones. The thread lists several groups that collect quilts (or quilt tops) to send to our heros in uniform. I know that Sue in VA is also collecting quilts (or quilt tops) to send to her SIL's unit in Afghanistan.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-79192-1.htm

funcupl 12-03-2010 07:12 AM

What a good friend...the thread alone is worth a fortune. I'm glad to see it went to a good home. The former quilter would have wanted that too. Have fun!

WANNABEE 12-03-2010 07:12 AM

Contact Debbie Umphress

lovingmama 12-03-2010 07:13 AM

There is a charity called,

Touching Little Lifes

they will take them. I know because I used to belong to them. Google them, get on their website. I'm pretty sure there is a group in your local area.

magpie 12-03-2010 07:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday someone, (can't find the post) posted the attached link. They will take unfinished tops if you contact them first. Tops have to be a certain size though.

small quilt guide lines
[ATTACH=CONFIG]137548[/ATTACH]

raptureready 12-03-2010 07:15 AM

Tie them and donate them to a local childrens home, VA or nursing home. From the looks of the stacks of fabric, there's plenty there to use as backings. Either that or check with local churches, quilting guilds, etc. and see if anyone would be interested in finishing them for charity. If there's a women's prison anywhere near your area or a disability services organization they also might be interested in finishing them for charitable purposes. Here there's Senior housing facilities that people give paint supplies, craft supplies, or sewing supplies to and they use them to give the elderly people something to do.

icon17 12-03-2010 07:27 AM

That is soo wonderful for you! Sorry it came because of someones loss. So turn it around and Give to the Needy. 8-)

PurplePassion 12-03-2010 07:28 AM

Could you finish a few off and give back to your friend , incase there are a few children in the family that would like a remembrance of her dad?