Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt of Valor, formerly known as Antique Reproduction quilt

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries

Quilt of Valor, formerly known as Antique Reproduction quilt

I finished my antique reproduction quilt today. I did decide to go old school with it and tie it. The main reason is that my good friend, a decorated Vietnam vet had reminisced with my husband about how his mother used to tie her quilts. I also decided to use a self binding, blanket style, and stitch it in a whip stitch with the same cotton yarn I used to tie it.

Ever almost instantly regret a sewing design decision? I did. As I pulled each stitch through with a pair of pliers and struggled to thread the needle, I regretted it. But wait. I later discovered that this decision was a gift to me. As I was stitching I was given the opportunity to meditate on many things, each more emotional than the next. I reflected on how much respect I have for our fore mothers who made quilts by hand and by candlelight out of necessity. I wondered with each hot flash spaced about about every half hour, how they might have handled that with a heavy blanket piled on top of them without ever knowing exactly what was wrong.

Next, I started looking at my stitches. Not one of them perfect. I was given the gift of meditating on God and how each one of us is a labor intense pulled stitch. Maybe not perfect, but perfectly placed in the cloth that warms our lives. I was given an extra dose of gratitude for His hand guiding mine in my design decision where I was committed to carry through with action allowing myself to take a time out not not pray, but to listen to Him.

Gave Phil the Quilt of Valor this morning. Pictures to follow.

Name:  IMG_1905_Medium.JPG
Views: 1280
Size:  120.3 KB

Rainy today so not great light. It's larger than a lap quilt, but a bit smaller than a twin. Perfect size for Phil in his Lazy Boy.
    Name:  IMG_1910_Medium.JPG
Views: 1280
Size:  126.8 KB
    Back side with the label.
    Name:  IMG_1911_Medium.JPG
Views: 1283
Size:  100.1 KB
    Up close label.
    Next post, pictures of Phil with his quilt. He was stunned. He had been casually watching me make it all last week.
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

Blog Entries
    Name:  IMG_1913_Medium.JPG
Views: 1253
Size:  99.3 KB
    Phil opening it up
    Name:  IMG_1914_Medium.JPG
Views: 1267
Size:  102.3 KB
    Inspecting the label
    Name:  IMG_1916_Medium.JPG
Views: 1248
Size:  109.1 KB
    Mini test drive.

Thanks all for letting me share my spiritual journey with this quilt.
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.

You made him a beautiful quilt and he will treasure it!!

Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us... brought tears to my eyes. Great quilt and great job!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......It's learning how to dance in the rain!

Thank you for sharing your journey with us and reminding us about the important things in life.
    I know your friend will treasure his quilt.
    well done

Oh my! What a blessing both to you and to Phil! Will you please pass on to him my gratitude for his service. (I'm sure I speak for many.) Isn't it awesome that we can receive so much pleasure from something we do "for others?" I loved your story; so powerful!
    Ruth

Thank you for sharing - the quilt is beautiful.

I think it turned out beautifully! Also love your bargello in the background.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, this QOV was an experiment in traditional...I tend to go for the more garish and complicated stuff.

Power Poster
    what a nice story the quilt is beautiful thanks for sharing!!!maureen
    QUILTNMO

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast