Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A scrappy for my 5th DGD when she marries >

A scrappy for my 5th DGD when she marries

A scrappy for my 5th DGD when she marries

Old 11-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Power Poster

What a great idea!! Your DGC will all have a piece of your history in their quilts :D:D:D
Old 11-22-2010, 03:29 AM

It is beautiful. I love scrappy. This is such a great idea!! I have 9 GK: boy 14, girl 13, boy 12, girl 11, girl 10, girl 7, girl 5. I need to get so-o-o busy as several are back-to-back!! Girls are easy to choose for but boy-oh-boy, are boys hard.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 11-22-2010, 03:50 AM

I love that circle idea! Adds so much to an Already darling quilt. I think about that too. Sewing for the future when I may not be here. Having gifts for my gr'children on their special occasions. I set aside some of their great grandma's dolls for them. They're in the storage room with their names on them.

I saved a quilt made for my son when he was born. Kept it folded in a cedar chest. I took it out last year (after 32 years) and, although it Stunk like cedar, it was in perfect condition. A quick & gentle wash and it was like new.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:07 AM

i was going to suggest rolling it on a tube and storing it in a dark closet covered w/ just a sheet. Rolling it will prevent the fabric from creasing and breaking.

My mom stored her wedding dress on a hanger covered to protect it from the dust and it hung in the closet for many years - when i looked at it, the only thing that happened was some tears at the shoulders.

My ex-husbands mother had hers stored in a box - wrapped in tissue & treated, etc (this was 50 yrs ago/25 yr at the time) and when we looked at it - the dress had holes in it from being folded up in the box.. It also hadn't yellowed evenly because it was folded up. My mom's dressed aged more evenly because it hung on a hanger & only holes at the shoulders
Old 11-22-2010, 06:36 AM
Banned

NICE!!! Love how you were able to get pictures of it- the lighting makes all the colors true to life.

I love all the ideas on how to store it- but personally I am with all the quilters that say give it to them now so they can use them- I still have all the quilts that my grandmother gave me and they are in great shape- of course I was taught at a young age how to care for quilts and how to clean them and things of what not to do-

Each quilt has lasted for 30 plus years so far. My kids are now using them on there beds (yes I have 5 children and they all have one or two- that my grandmother made for me). I love it and they do too, they all know that the quilts they have on their beds are ones there great grandmother made for us to share.

But it is important to know how to care for them and clean them- so that they will last.

Aunt Nancy- NICE JOB- it is beautiful!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by smitty
Originally Posted by nannya54
Originally Posted by gollytwo
I've done the same thing
Finished the ones (queen size) for the 18 and 14 yr olds, either as a wedding present (far away I hope) or when they turn 25, whichever comes first.
My 6 yr old's has a long way to go.
I didn't think about setting the age on them. That's not a bad idea since I have a feeling it may be a while ( I'm hoping, also! ) before a marriage happens. Definately something to think about. Thanks!

All my grandkids have several quilts that I've made and given.
The "wedding or 25" are special to me and won't be given til then, whether I'm around or not.
They are stored in pillowcases in a cedar closet and their Dad, my son, knows about them.

Go Grandmas!!!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:53 AM

Storage for long term is important...I would place them in 100% cotton pillowcases..maybe even make them from your scraps..if not purchase them to match..once they are in the pillowcase wrap them in acid free tissue paper and place them in an acid free box and then in a plastic tote to keep them dry in case of water or even creatures..but no plastic should touch them...
They are real treasures and when your GC marry they will treasure them even more...ps add a note to each one of them to explain why you did what you did so in 20 years or so they will know the meaning behind the scraps...and the love that you put into each one...there are no guarantees to tomorrow and Lord forbid but if your not there to see them married your quilt will explain how much it meant for you to make them ....bless you for being so a wonderful grandma that you are thinking of their future....I have 6 grandkids...I keep saying I should make them wedding quilts instead of so many childrens quilts....food for though...blessings
Old 11-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:33 AM

So cute!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:07 PM

Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions. I certainly do appreciate it!

Putting an age limit may be a good idea just in case they don't marry.

Putting the name and a story behind the quilt is something I hadn't thought of at all and will surely add that to each one. My son, their Uncle, will be home for the holidays and I was going to show him which one belongs to which. He might remember in 15 to 20 years? lol A name attached is definitely needed.

Pillow case shopping along with Christmas shopping. Oh boy! Again, thanks a bunch!