Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A scrappy for my 5th DGD when she marries

Okay, I realize I'm not doing this quite conventionally but for my grandchildren I have made them a quilt from my scraps for wedding presents. I have 5 GC and this is the 5th scrappy. Why scrappy? These are all scraps from my NannysCrafts ( Nancy's Crafts ) business that I've been selling for a few years. These scrappies are a reminder of what I did that I enjoyed so much.

Being that the eldest is 15 and the youngest is 1, they'll go into storage for safe keeping. ( Any advise for long term storage would be appreciated. )

This one is for Ali who is 6, in 1st grade, and loves pink and polk-a-dots. I wasn't real thrilled with my sewing but my quilter was able to pull wonders, again, and hide a few bloopers. I ironed on the round circles that grace the corners and KrisStena quilted them all down. They aren't appliqued so when the quilt is washed they will fray a bit with each wash. Did that on purpose to add character.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    It looks very nice. I would hate to have to wait that long for a quilt!!!

Banned
    I've done the same thing
    Finished the ones (queen size) for the 18 and 14 yr olds, either as a wedding present (far away I hope) or when they turn 25, whichever comes first.
    My 6 yr old's has a long way to go.

They are beautiful. Great job and thanks for sharing.

They don't know they are waiting and I've done other things for them like the pillow cases, baby blankets, etc. As long as they don't know, it's okay. I just hope I'm around to see them get them. lol

Absolutely gorgeous. I agree, with Penni, though, I wouldn't want to wait that long either. They probably won't even like the same stuff by then. Maybe you could change your mind and make it their 16th birthday since the oldest is 15. Whatever you do, don't store it in plastic. Don't know why, but something in it makes the fabric deteriorate. Store it in a pillowcase of something of the sort. Got that tip from a long time quilter who found out the hard way. The quilts that I don't have hanging up or on my quilt rack are in pillow cases in a cedar chest.

I don't think a scrappy quilt is all that strange given why you are doing it. It's always about the sentiment/history and story behind the quilt. Everybody does things differently and that's why this Board is so informative and so much fun. Let us know what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    I've done the same thing
    Finished the ones (queen size) for the 18 and 14 yr olds, either as a wedding present (far away I hope) or when they turn 25, whichever comes first.
    I didn't think about setting the age on them. That's not a bad idea since I have a feeling it may be a while ( I'm hoping, also! ) before a marriage happens. Definately something to think about. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    That one is so colorful - Ali will love it. I like your circles idea. You have 5 lucky grandchildren. Great job and so is the quilting.

Gorgeous! :)

lovely! I really DO love scrappy quilts, and yours is gorgeous! :D

Blog Entries
    We grandmas sure do plan ahead!.LOL Nice quilt!!

Blog Entries
    cute quilts

Nice, love the circles too.

Blog Entries
    No advice on storage, but it's lovely :)

Quote Originally Posted by labbyrobinson
    Whatever you do, don't store it in plastic. Don't know why, but something in it makes the fabric deteriorate.
    The fabric has to be able to breathe. But I wonder what would happen with the bags that take out all the air? The ones I have bought can't hold their seal. But isn't that how the cleaners store the Wedding Dresses for long term storage?

How bright and pretty that quilt is!

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I believe that quilts are made to be used. Nannay, you will find something else to make the wedding quilt from and if she has worn this quilt by that time just used parts of the unworn and add it to the new wedding quilt ideal. This is tooo pretty to wait to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by nannya54
    Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    I've done the same thing
    I didn't think about setting the age on them. That's not a bad idea since I have a feeling it may be a while ( I'm hoping, also! ) before a marriage happens. Definately something to think about. Thanks!
    If you give them at age 16---you have a good excuse to buy more fabric to make them a wedding quilt later !!

Go Grandmas!!!!!

Personally, I would not be able to wait that long to give someone a quilt. Once it was done I would be waiting for the first excuse to give it to them. They could be enjoying it and you could be watching them enjoy. I love your quilt and the circles is such a cute idea!

A friend of mine made quilts for her grandchildren and bought special boxes and tissue to store them in. Something like what they store bridal gowns in. I forget where she found them but I would think if you google it you would find something.

Blog Entries
    What a great idea!! Your DGC will all have a piece of your history in their quilts :D:D:D

It is beautiful. I love scrappy. This is such a great idea!! I have 9 GK: boy 14, girl 13, boy 12, girl 11, girl 10, girl 7, girl 5. I need to get so-o-o busy as several are back-to-back!! Girls are easy to choose for but boy-oh-boy, are boys hard.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    I love that circle idea! Adds so much to an Already darling quilt. I think about that too. Sewing for the future when I may not be here. Having gifts for my gr'children on their special occasions. I set aside some of their great grandma's dolls for them. They're in the storage room with their names on them.

I saved a quilt made for my son when he was born. Kept it folded in a cedar chest. I took it out last year (after 32 years) and, although it Stunk like cedar, it was in perfect condition. A quick & gentle wash and it was like new.

i was going to suggest rolling it on a tube and storing it in a dark closet covered w/ just a sheet. Rolling it will prevent the fabric from creasing and breaking.

My mom stored her wedding dress on a hanger covered to protect it from the dust and it hung in the closet for many years - when i looked at it, the only thing that happened was some tears at the shoulders.

My ex-husbands mother had hers stored in a box - wrapped in tissue & treated, etc (this was 50 yrs ago/25 yr at the time) and when we looked at it - the dress had holes in it from being folded up in the box.. It also hadn't yellowed evenly because it was folded up. My mom's dressed aged more evenly because it hung on a hanger & only holes at the shoulders

Banned
    NICE!!! Love how you were able to get pictures of it- the lighting makes all the colors true to life.

I love all the ideas on how to store it- but personally I am with all the quilters that say give it to them now so they can use them- I still have all the quilts that my grandmother gave me and they are in great shape- of course I was taught at a young age how to care for quilts and how to clean them and things of what not to do-

Each quilt has lasted for 30 plus years so far. My kids are now using them on there beds (yes I have 5 children and they all have one or two- that my grandmother made for me). I love it and they do too, they all know that the quilts they have on their beds are ones there great grandmother made for us to share.

But it is important to know how to care for them and clean them- so that they will last.

Aunt Nancy- NICE JOB- it is beautiful!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast