Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Therapy Quilt UFO's >

Therapy Quilt UFO's

Therapy Quilt UFO's

Old 01-07-2016, 09:25 AM
Swap Hosts

Default Therapy Quilt UFO's

I've been away from the board for a long time - Superstorm Sandy really knocked a hole in my heart - and then there were other tasks and trials to be overcome in our new home. But at long last, I'm settled in and happily finishing UFO's!

Here are a series of little quilts that served as therapy in the early days of our exile. I finally got around to binding them. The photos are pretty dreadful - taken with my phone.

This one is called And Then The Sea Came In. Hard to see all the stitching in this photo, but it is covered!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539602[/ATTACH]

Then there is this one, called Raised Houses - after we were told that all houses had to be raised 10 feet in the air or we could pay thousands in flood insurance. I embroidered our house number on the middle one.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539604[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]539603[/ATTACH]

This one is a recollection of happier days spent fishing on the bay. Our old zip code is embroidered on the ship's bow. It's called Sail Away. I've included a photo of the back as the stitching isn't clear in the first photo.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539605[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]539606[/ATTACH]

The next one is Under the Sun - with a close up of some of the stitching on the sun. Living on a barrier beach island, the sun was always intense and warming, even in winter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539607[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]539608[/ATTACH]

Here is one called Fly Away at Sunset. I always wondered where the seabirds went once the sun went down. Sometimes at night you could hear them in the marshes.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539610[/ATTACH]

And finally, this one is Gibbous Moon Waxing. Although I often walked the beach at night and fished in the bay, I was always a little nervous about what lived below the waves. Here, a fish rises to the moon's reflection in an attempt to devour the light. In the depths, a mermaid reaches up to snatch the light to keep in the dark places where she lives.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539609[/ATTACH]

There are still more, but not yet finished.
Attached Thumbnails then-sea-came-.jpg   raised-houses-2.jpg   raised-houses-1.jpg   sail-away.jpg   sail-away-2.jpg  

under-sun-1.jpg   under-sun-2.jpg   gibbous-moon-waxing.jpg   fly-away.jpg  
Old 01-07-2016, 09:50 AM

Hi Krystyna, nice to see you're back. I love your little quilts, especially the colors of fabrics you used. Great job. It will be wonderful to see you around the board again. Linda
Old 01-07-2016, 10:08 AM

Welcome back after so much upheaval. Love your little quilts and all the colors and love you put into them.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:22 AM

You are very creative and talented. So glad you are back in a good place so that you can continue using your talents again. Great quilts.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:01 AM

Glad you are back home with us. You do know we are one BIG HAPPY family don't you? Sorry for what all you went through. Your Therapy quilts are wonderful & I can tell much love went into them. You done a fantastic job on all of them. Sending many blessings your way.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

I hope you are able to keep these small quilt to remember what you have been thru and how you made it successful thru your journey. Glad you are finally settled. I along with millions of other Americans could only hope and pray that you would all recovery from that terrible storm. Stay safe and keep up the excellent quilting. You are very talented.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

beautiful job!!!
Old 01-07-2016, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

wow, amazing quilts, what a great way to work thru all the hard times. just stunning and beautiful quilts!
Old 01-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

all very nicely done
Old 01-07-2016, 06:13 PM

What a wonderful and personal expression of what you went through. So glad you have come out successfully on the other side.