Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Twilling?

Quote Originally Posted by butterflies5518 View Post
    I have heard of twilling for pieces of paper but not embroidery. You are doing a fantastic job.
    The paper craft is qwilling. I once took an adult ed class to learn "old" needlework techniques. We learned twilling there. We also did chicken scratch, black work, Brazilian embroidery and several lace methods. Loved that class. The teacher actually had a masters in needlework. She was quite old and still was teaching.

I have never heard of it either. But love the look of it and seems like you will do some lovely work.
    Lisa

New to me too.... but will have to do some research and give it a try..... several of us gals get together every couple of weeks and try a new needle technique..... we have tried needle tatting, Romanian point lace and this would fit right in.
    Some of us do hardanger , needle point, counted cross stitch, knitting, crocheting and the list goes on ..... but always willing to try something new. Thanks for sharing.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    If you know embroidery, you may have heard this stitch called the palestrina stitch. It's really quite simple, here's a video tute.
    http://www.needlenthread.com/2007/04...-tutorial.html

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Jan for the link. It does look very pretty and would add a lot to needlework on quilts, etc.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflies5518 View Post
    I have heard of twilling for pieces of paper but not embroidery. You are doing a fantastic job.
    I think with paper it is called "Quilling". I have a kit but have never gotten around to doing it!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I just picked up the Feb/march Quilters Newsletter mag. and found an article on twilling. It said it is an old fashioned embroidery stitch that is becoming popular again. I was intrigued by the pictures and had to try a little sample. I though it would be interesting to add to my Redwork quilt blocks. I didn't quite have it right for the first part but at A arrow indication I kind of got the hang of it. I like the raised texture it gives. Am I the only one that twilling is new to?
    i read that article and am going to try it also. with the same thought...use in redwork. it would make an attractive & heavier line which would show up better in redwork blocks used in a quilt. or any embroidery used in a quilt. used "whipped running stitch" recently on the back of a quilt and thought...whoa...that would be sooo much nicer looking in quilt blocks. nice full looking stitch. so..will try the quiling now. i think it is even prettier than the whipped running stitch.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

I love the look of it.
    JuneBillie - In memory of my dear mother June, and my dear mother in law Billie.
    I am thankful for this day My name - Susan

Blog Entries
    Never saw it before! Pretty though. I'd say it is a keeper stitch!!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.

I never heard of this before but can't wait to try it. Thanks for that great link Jan.

Kat

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast