Victorian Sewing Circle Photo: Must See >

Victorian Sewing Circle Photo: Must See

Victorian Sewing Circle Photo: Must See

Old 09-25-2012, 02:44 AM

Love these bits of history!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:51 AM

awesome pic!...thanks for posting
Old 09-25-2012, 02:52 AM

This is really nostalgic ! I really loved the photo. Being so antique, all of them are clearly seen and the photo is also in tact. I loved the design of the quilt lying over the table. The rest ones are also fine. Sometimes it feels great to see such stylish old historic photos.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:02 AM

A picture is worth a thousand words. What a great photo... and the quilt on their lap is wonderfu. Just looking at this photo fills my heart with gratitude. Can you imagine dressing up like that to go meet with your quilting group? The hair style alone takes too much time. I'm so grateful to be able to blow dry my hair in a few minutes and wear t-shirts, jeans and sneakers or flip flops. Our grandmas worked too hard. Do you know why they didn't smile? Cause the shutter speed on the camera was so slow... they had to hold perfectly still. I start blinking, just thinking about it. I don't see one pair of glasses. I couldn't sew without readers. We are so blessed to have the modern technology that we have today. A fancy sewing machine, rotary cutter, clover needle threader, straw needles, mini iron, quilting software, re-size copy machine, etc. I own a lot of my grandmothers sewing needles and tools. I only keep them for sentimental reasons.... they are pretty hard to work with. Big fat dull needles and pins that rust. Cardboard quilting templates and cumbersome thimbles in assorted sizes, cause none of them fit. An antique quilt is a treasure for so many reasons.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Johanna Fritz View Post
Here is an antique photo of a Victorian quilt group (guild?). I would like to think so. I think the clothes date it to about right at 1900. In 1890's, the shoulder sleeves were much puffier. The one thing that intrigues me is the applique design on the table. I have never seen anything like it. Enjoy.
My dentists receptionist still wears her hair like this! It makes me just want to yell at her that we are in the 21st century!! lol
Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by BeverlyH View Post
Wouldn't you love to know what they talked about? What a great photo. Thanks for sharing.
Beverly, I'll bet they talked about things that we talk about at our Guild meetings. Our families, children, husbands, new quilting patterns, great deals on fabrics, recipes, etc. I don't think that women have changed all that much over the years in what we like to talk about with other women. I agree - wonderful photo!
Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Cool picture!!! Now days, quilters are all smiles!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 04:46 PM

I wonder if those ladies ever smiled back then and if they could see us now what would they think of us and our clothes. I can't imagine dressing in them clothes in summer in Fl. Thanks for sharing your pic it's fun to see. Sue
Old 01-10-2013, 04:48 PM

love all that hair but wouldn't want to take care of it