Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What would you charge >

What would you charge

What would you charge

Old 12-26-2012, 05:54 AM

I just charged $200.00 for a baby quilt I made. I take the cost of fabric and times it by 2, then if I quilt it I add on more.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:37 AM

Your quilt is beautiful. Have you tried looking at other places that handle hand made quilts? I would put a $200.00 price tag on it and see if it sells. If it doesn't then you could "put it on sale". If it goes quickly, then I'd price the next one a little higher. If you are putting two or more in the shop, make them different prices. You will soon see what sells and how much to ask for them.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:43 AM

I know a women who sells bed pillow shams for $130. for each piece - again demographics come into play - sells mostly in NY city
Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by nance-ell View Post
$150 sounds really low to me. However, you have consider your market. What kind of customer comes to the shop? Is the shop in an affluent area where price isn't an obstacle for her customers? I would probably put a higher price... even as high as $300 (rule of thumb - double your material cost) and if a after numerous attempts to close a sale, no one bites, your MIL could discount 20 or 25%. Buyers always love buying an item "on sale". It's just psychology! In the end, your customers will drive the price point you can reach ... then you can decide if it's worth your effort. Good luck to your MIL... I envision myself doing something similar in about 10-15 years :-)
I agree. You should double your costs and $300 is not unreasonable. Hopefully it will sell in your area!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:22 AM

Melody, here is a link to a chart that shows how to figure the value of your craft! I pinned it on Pinterest.
Good luck!
http://tolmema.wordpress.com/2012/01...made-products/
Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 AM

I'm sure you will find this thread many times here, but the answer is mostly always the same. DO NOT UNDERVALUE YOUR WORK just because people say a handmade quilt should be inexpensive. Not only the supplies and work you put into it TODAY, but the years of practice you need to have to get your skills to be good and marketable. Isn't that what other professionals say- the years of schooling, office furniture, equipment etc, goes into the pricing. Do you think a plumber or electrician only charges triple for the cost of a part? Of course not! Their skills are valuable and so are yours!
Old 12-26-2012, 08:14 AM

I agree with all the above. How about table runners? Great job on the quilt too.
Eileen
Old 12-26-2012, 08:46 AM

it is a great quilt but depending on where you are as to how much you can get. 150 is cheap
Old 12-26-2012, 11:24 AM

I often get requests to make quilts for co workers. I found a flier that a local quilter made and posted it on the bulletin board. For a twin bed tee shirt quilt it around 300 . Her prices go up to 600. I send them to the flyer when I get requests. A very nice young lady asked me to make 2 quilts for her. I said I would help her make them but I had enough work of my own . I went to Joanns with her explained colour selection and how to pick the fabric for the project. She first spent 400 when it was all done. She did a great job on her sons tee shirt quilts. It meant more because she did it. She is a natural quilter. She has gotten the quilting bug. She made several Christmas tree skirts. I love teaching those who want to learn.

Last edited by skothing; 12-26-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by melodyg View Post
Thank you all for the input. I am really not looking to get into making the quilts to sell. This is the fifth quilt I have made. I mostly make them as gifts for family. This will be the first one I " put a price " on, and as stated it is more as a favor for my mother in law.
Ask yourself if you want to continue with this then. You wouldn't want to have a misunderstanding with your MIL. Your quilt is beautiful and if you do want to continue, ask MIL what she thinks the customers might pay, that will help in knowing if you want to go forward too. Good luck.

piney