Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Will the Real 15 clone please stand up >

Will the Real 15 clone please stand up

Will the Real 15 clone please stand up

Old 10-13-2013, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
This sweet machine is Featherweight sized and easy to tote and use. I won't be sewing much until that motor quits sparking so much.
You can get some electric motor cleaner at an auto parts store, and that might help. Take the motor off of the machine, remove the brushes, and take it outside. Spray the holes that the brushes came out of while turning the shaft to clean the armature contacts. Wipe off the brushes and let it dry THOROUGHLY. Perhaps 2-3 hours. Replace the brushes and install it back in the machine. Run it wide open for about 2-3 minutes and it should help dramatically.
~G~
Old 10-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
I would not recommend putting cardboard in there as a replacement as it is flammable. The old plugs had a piece of asbestos that looked like thin cardboard there but often is lost along the way. I would recommend new replacement plug ends that are non polarized that you can get at a hardware store that are easy to install and are much, much safer.
~G~
That is what we do - you can buy the whole unit from sew-classic and other places
Old 10-13-2013, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
The machines come up at very reasonable prices all over the country if a person watches. Some of them come up serviced and ready to use for reasonable prices, too. There are a lot of forums where you do not talk about prices at all. I think it is a good idea.
I understand your position and the passion behind it. But please consider this. If I had not read this thread and realized HOW little could be spent, I never would have purchased my first Morse. Sometimes, IMHO, cost should be discussed. It seems like a differing of opinions doesn't have to be exclusive. The correct solution would be to start a thread for discussion! Different isn't wrong, it's just different. And that's what makes our lives interesting.

Grant, I did use electrical cleaner on the motor already. It needs new carbon brushes. When reinstalling them, one was literally crumbling to bits. Just purchased a bundle of them on EBay, including new springs. I think a motor rebuilding day will be in my future. Caroline S. just needs to come over and join me!!
Old 10-14-2013, 12:41 PM

I found that several of the steel parts of my Mercury (in post #411) are stamped "Toyota", and I wondered whether that is common to many of the clones. The Universal motor and the foot pedal both say "Made in USA". Were those added after import or did the Japanese companies buy them from the US and ship the machines complete? What about the attachments? I don't have any, but wondered if they were shipped with Japanese made attachments and what was typically included. My machine didn't even have it's original straight stitch foot.

I was trying to track down more information on the machine, and found this http://www.ehow.com/how_7821389_iden...-machines.html My machine is not marked as described, but I now believe that the TA at the start of the serial number refers to Toyota, and that it is definitely a Japanese clone. I was surprised about the Mercury brand starting in Chicago much earlier, and wondered what sort of machines they made there. Were they also Singer copies? And when they started making Mercuries in Japan, was that outsourcing by the Chicago company, still retaining their brand identity, and perhaps still maintaining a Chicago headquarters and doing the marketing there?

I don't have a manual for this machine, and wonder whether anyone could point me toward one. The Singer 15-91 manual I have is almost no help at all, and the Singer 15 tensioner that I bought does not fit. Luckily, the original tensioner seems to be okay, but could be better.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post

I think a motor rebuilding day will be in my future. Caroline S. just needs to come over and join me!!
Set the day and time I will be there. I need to get out of the house!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

I need one of those rebuild days here, too...
Old 10-14-2013, 01:22 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...y-t199702.html

Rose, here is a link to my Mercury Electric. It is also stamped with a TA #. The motor is a Morse.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:17 PM

Once those brushes and springs arrive, rebuilding shall commence! I'll also crank up my new soldering iron and do rewiring. I have at least one of Caroline's motors over here just waiting for attention.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...y-t199702.html

Rose, here is a link to my Mercury Electric. It is also stamped with a TA #. The motor is a Morse.

Yours has prettier decals on the bed, and my motor is Universal, but other than that they could be twins.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! to Grant15clone for the helpful tips and for sending me the links to manuals!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:58 AM

Free Clone Manuals.

Rose, You are welcome. I was glad to help.
For anyone that is looking for a manual for a Clone, Here are two good ones, and are free.

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ion-manual.pdf

http://bypatrice.com/sewing/deluxe_manual/

~G~