Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Zelda Quilt for deployed son >

Zelda Quilt for deployed son

Zelda Quilt for deployed son

Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 AM

I think it's wonderful (love the colors) and I'm sure he'll be very touched when you give it to him.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:31 AM

Looks wonderful to me!!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 03:54 AM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

How cool! How about Donkey Kong on the back for some real nostalgia! The colors are great and the applique turned out nice. What a luck son and lucky all of us for his service. Thanks for sharing him and his quilt.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

turned out great!
Old 11-28-2012, 04:46 AM

Fantastic! I remember reading your initial thread and hoping I'd get a chance to see the top. Between the shield and the triforce corners, I think it screams "Zelda" while maintaining a healthy dose of "guy quilt". Great job! Your applique is beautiful.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:57 AM

You did a fantastic job! Good thing you didn't listen to the 'lady' in the store. This is a great guy quilt, and it will be significant to him for the rest of his life.

Maybe you could repeat the shield and sword on the back?

Great job! You are an inspiration!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I too followed your original threads. I remember how much you stressed over it being perfect. I think it looks great. You should take to the person who shot down your idea at the fabric store just to show her it could be done, and not only could be done, but done WELL! Your son will love it.

As far as backing, if you are taking it to a LAQ most prefer the wide backs so it is all one piece. Make sure you thoroughly check out your LAQ (see samples of their work etc) so you know you will be happy with her (or his) work.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 AM

You did it! came out great!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 AM

Love your quilt. And am very happy your son is home safe and sound. I think the back should be a black flannel. Will add comfort and softness, probably something he could use right now.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:52 PM

Thanks all. I appreciate the appreciation for my son.... it was a long rough deployment. Its always nice to know others appreciate it.
I'm glad you guys like the quilt, especially the Zelda-aholics. lol. He'll NEVER grow out of Zelda. He's loved it since he was 8 years old. lol. Before he deployed, he went out and bought the Nintendo 3ds JUST so he could take the Zelda Ocarina (his favorite version) with him. lol. Funny thing is, a couple of his buddies there were like minded so once he beat the game, it started making the rounds. lol
I did end up writing an e-mail to the store (after I'd gone in a second time looking for thread to applique and had the same woman shoot down my ideas again) and explained how much her comments hurt my feelings and that I no longer looked forward to going into the store for fear of running into her, and that I now avoid it. They replied with an apology and a work schedule so I'd know which days she'd be there. I have another LQS that's just a tad bit farther and they are ALWAYS so helpful. I'll stick to that one, and go to the old one when I 'have' to.
I did so want it to be perfect, and I think for what I did I'm happy with it. I thought about doing the sword and shield on the back but I am just plumb out of time. So I'll have to love it the way it is.

Still torn on what to do with the back.... Would rather it be darker... he would most likely stain anything light. I might go ahead and get a flannel since I'll having it quilted.

Thanks all!!!! <3