Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how much do you charge for potato bags??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-do-you-charge-potato-bags-t128012.html)

ragqueen03 06-04-2011 11:26 AM

A co worker told me she wants to buy a potato bag from me. i did tell her that the material was expensive to buy and i had started putting a plain material inside to cut down on costs. she has one already and loves it - she bought it at a craft show (not from me) now she knows i am making them and wants to buy one. what do i charge?? i don't feel i am that good to charge anyone but i don't want to give it away. i also let her know that i did make them with 100% cotton material, batting and thread.

sewbizgirl 06-04-2011 11:29 AM

Never heard of potato bags... but it makes sense to take them out of the plastic bags that make them rot.

You should charge what you spend in materials, PLUS an hourly wage for however long it takes you to make it. I wouldn't sew for hire for any less than $10 an hour, but the price is up to you to determine. Don't sell yourself short.

hannajo 06-04-2011 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
You should charge what you spend in materials, PLUS an hourly wage for however long it takes you to make it. I wouldn't sew for hire for any less than $10 an hour, but the price is up to you to determine. Don't sell yourself short.

I agree with this, and I only want to add, don't feel bad about charging for your hard work. It's often a problem with us women. I recently had to tell my client that I was raising my rate since I was working more hours, and I actually felt ill the whole day before. If you tell your friend your price, it's then up to them to purchase it or not. If you don't want to put your friend on the spot, you can always tell them the price and then say, "think about it and get back to me."

I hope you let us know how it works out.

ragqueen03 06-04-2011 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Never heard of potato bags... but it makes sense to take them out of the plastic bags that make them rot.

these are bags made out of cotton for cooking potatoes in the microwave. everything has to be 100% cotton - material, batting, thread. you can also use it for corn or dinner rolls

linken 06-04-2011 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by ragqueen03
A co worker told me she wants to buy a potato bag from me. i did tell her that the material was expensive to buy and i had started putting a plain material inside to cut down on costs. she has one already and loves it - she bought it at a craft show (not from me) now she knows i am making them and wants to buy one. what do i charge?? i don't feel i am that good to charge anyone but i don't want to give it away. i also let her know that i did make them with 100% cotton material, batting and thread.

I sell mine for $10.00.

0tis 06-04-2011 01:06 PM

I sold some for $10 also - I was very surprised at how much interest people had in them. No one balked at the price tag.

Jennifer22206 06-04-2011 01:07 PM

what's a potato bag?

LindaM 06-04-2011 01:10 PM

I saw an ad recently for them, showing both as potato bakers and tortilla warmers!

frarose 06-04-2011 03:12 PM

I have thought of making one but never have. Not sure is my batting is 100% cotton. $10 definitely sounds very reasonable.

Cybrarian 06-04-2011 03:55 PM

Would bamboo batting work also or not in the microwave?