Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone had this happen? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-had-happen-t170586.html)

nannyrick 12-01-2011 05:00 PM

Has anyone had this happen?

I,m making a quilt for my 13 year ol GD. She wanted to pick out the fabric and of course I said yes.
Well she picked two very dark colors and one medium. They go together but I think it will be too dark
when done.
I tried to talk her into adding a bright color but she refused.
I,m so tempted to add it myself and then hope she will know what I mean, but DH says I should not do this because it is hers and this is what she wanted.
By the way the colors are:
1 Dark purple
2 Purple mix,(on the order of Batik
3 Deep pink.
What do you all think?

patiese1 12-01-2011 05:05 PM

I have had it happen to me but it was different prints that didn't match. I tried to talk her into something different but she was adamant. I did the material she wanted and to her it was the most beautiful quilt to me it looked like a neon sign shining in your bedroom. It was a hot mess. Go with her selection to her it is beautiful.

Dina 12-01-2011 05:05 PM

I think I would go with what she picked out. Or maybe you could make up two sample blocks, one with her colors and one with the color you add. Let her see the difference. She may still prefer the colors she has chosen.

fayzer 12-01-2011 05:09 PM

I would do it her way since that is what she wants. You could tell her you need one more color and it needs to be something other than purple or pink. Do those 3 fabrics include enough for the backing?

Butterflyblue 12-01-2011 05:10 PM

I second the idea of doing a couple of test blocks (or a sample layout with graph paper or EQ or whatever) to let her really see the difference. If she still likes what she picked first, go with it.

nannyrick 12-01-2011 05:17 PM

These are wide strips across. She saw this photo in a JoAnns ad and just loved it.
I like it too but the picture had more colors than she chose. As Patiese says "to
her it will be beautiful". I sure hope so.
Oh and she picked pink flannel for the backing.

wanda lou 12-01-2011 05:19 PM

I think it will be very pretty.

SherryW 12-01-2011 05:27 PM

Go with what she picked. She will love it I'm sure.

mighty 12-01-2011 06:11 PM

I think I would go with her choice. This will be a quilt she will always cherish because you made it for her and she got to be a big part of it because she picked the fabric.

valsma 12-01-2011 06:15 PM

If those colors she picked is what she wants, then I would go with what she picked. For whatever reason she loves what she picks and that is what she wants. Maybe a brighter backing fabric? Enjoy making it for her she will love it because you made it for her.

I'm in a search right now for pink camoflage, tattoo related fabric and Airforce emblem fabric that will all work together in a quilt. Do you have any idea how difficult that is? Oh my. I can work with the tattoo related and the camo but the AF emblem just doesn't blend well with the other two.