Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone had this happen?

Has anyone had this happen?

I,m making a quilt for my 13 year ol GD. She wanted to pick out the fabric and of course I said yes.
    Well she picked two very dark colors and one medium. They go together but I think it will be too dark
    when done.
    I tried to talk her into adding a bright color but she refused.
    I,m so tempted to add it myself and then hope she will know what I mean, but DH says I should not do this because it is hers and this is what she wanted.
    By the way the colors are:
    1 Dark purple
    2 Purple mix,(on the order of Batik
    3 Deep pink.
    What do you all think?
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

I have had it happen to me but it was different prints that didn't match. I tried to talk her into something different but she was adamant. I did the material she wanted and to her it was the most beautiful quilt to me it looked like a neon sign shining in your bedroom. It was a hot mess. Go with her selection to her it is beautiful.

I think I would go with what she picked out. Or maybe you could make up two sample blocks, one with her colors and one with the color you add. Let her see the difference. She may still prefer the colors she has chosen.

Blog Entries
    I would do it her way since that is what she wants. You could tell her you need one more color and it needs to be something other than purple or pink. Do those 3 fabrics include enough for the backing?

I second the idea of doing a couple of test blocks (or a sample layout with graph paper or EQ or whatever) to let her really see the difference. If she still likes what she picked first, go with it.

These are wide strips across. She saw this photo in a JoAnns ad and just loved it.
    I like it too but the picture had more colors than she chose. As Patiese says "to
    her it will be beautiful". I sure hope so.
    Oh and she picked pink flannel for the backing.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

I think it will be very pretty.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

Go with what she picked. She will love it I'm sure.

I think I would go with her choice. This will be a quilt she will always cherish because you made it for her and she got to be a big part of it because she picked the fabric.

If those colors she picked is what she wants, then I would go with what she picked. For whatever reason she loves what she picks and that is what she wants. Maybe a brighter backing fabric? Enjoy making it for her she will love it because you made it for her.

I'm in a search right now for pink camoflage, tattoo related fabric and Airforce emblem fabric that will all work together in a quilt. Do you have any idea how difficult that is? Oh my. I can work with the tattoo related and the camo but the AF emblem just doesn't blend well with the other two.
    Last edited by valsma; 12-01-2011 at 06:21 PM.
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

I would go with what she wants also.
    Bring Your Conscious awareness to the source of loving and Caring

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    If the fabrics truly go together, just remember that she chose them and she loves them...she made her first quilting decision...you don't want to squash her enthusiasm. you will be able to get the center assembled and then ask her to help choose the borders....she may see where that tiny flange border in a bright version of the pink just sets the whole thing off perfectly....or a pale lavendar in the right shade....whatever looks good....auditioning fabrics helps us to decide on the last touches...why not her? and THENNNNNN you will be able to show her a choice of different threads which is that last layer of color.... and then when she decides, whichever way it goes is her choice and you and she will know it is HER quilt.... she will love it and you will love knowing that she appreciates all your hard work...last ditch? put all her scraps and your color choices in a gorgeous back art that may show her what you were talking about without sabotaging her choice....

Senior Member hensandhollyhocks's Avatar
    I would definitely work with only her choices. Just having a 13 year old girl involved in the process is a blessing.

Can you make two samples to show her the difference? Sometimes seeing is believing!
    Linda

I would just go with what she picked. It will feel more like hers if you do...

Blog Entries
    I would not change her colors. I always heard that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I agree with others, she will always love it for so many reasons, and the fact that she picked out the fabrics will make it even more special. One day she may look at it and think "what was I thinking" but for now, it is beautiful for her. And it will be beautiful!
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

When I was a kid it was my way or the highway LOL! She has something in mind and a change would really ruin her plans. You won't have to look at it everyday so stick with her choices and in a few years you both can have a laugh over it, but I'm sure your effort will be well loved anyways.

Power Poster
    Go with her choice. To suggest another colour will be saying you don't value her opinion. It might not be your taste but it's more important that you support her. It's just fabric and you may just find that she'll be willing and eager to participate in another project with you.

Blog Entries
    Be sure to wash and hot dry your flannel backing - it will shrink way more than the cotton in the top.
    Nikki in MO

Totally agree with letting her choices stand. I had a girl that age tell me recently that the best thing about me was that I LISTENED to her. (I'm her piano teacher and let her make some choices about pieces to play.) Being heard is a huge thing at that age. (at any age actually!)
    So many quilts, so little time.

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
    Be sure to wash and hot dry your flannel backing - it will shrink way more than the cotton in the top.
    way more than once, too....flannel can shrink two or three times before it's done.... and I have lost up to 6 inches per yard....

I would definitely stick with her choices......you may be very pleasantly surprised. Be sure to show us when you are finished.

I would use only the colors she picked out. When she looks at the colors together, she sees beauty. Since you ask her what colors she wanted, you really should respect her wishes.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    I have noticed that some kids just like darker colors, it shows in their clothing, room decor, etc... She will love this quilt that she had a hand in
    “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” Sam Levenson

Banned
    Blog Entries
    leave it..it is hers...remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
    one man's art is another man's trash!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast