Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer Stylist 457 Instruction Book-free??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-stylist-457-instruction-book-free-t173224.html)

misseva 12-26-2011 08:48 AM

Singer Stylist 457 Instruction Book-free???

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]297900[/ATTACH]I know Singer site has these for sale but does anyone have one for free? I bought one for $5 & everything moves, runs EXCEPT I can't get the bobbin thread pulled up. There is a knob on the front of the bed (to the left of the thread guide for bobbin winder) that doesn't show on the pictures I see online. I'd appreciate any help you could give me. I want to give this machine to a friend.

mtpockets1 12-27-2011 06:54 AM

Great find and how nice to find a machine for a friend. We will have yet another person that will see the value of the vintage machines.

Here is the link for the manual from Singer http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...aab08a72c8.pdf

Hope it works as I am not great at all this stuff yet. Please make sure and let us all know how everything turns out.

Good Luck,
Lisa

misseva 12-27-2011 08:09 AM

Thanks mtpockets1, this is what I was looking at yesterday except it was really small. Couldn't figure out how to see it big enough to read. It still doesn't have any explanation of what the knob to the left of the Bobbin Winder Tension Disc is supposed to be. Does anyone know what that's supposed to be for? See pix.

Baba71 12-27-2011 08:19 AM

could it be the reverse button.
And as for the bobbin thread not coming up,
try threading the machine in the opposite direction.
If you are threading it right to left, try left to right,
maybe that is what it needs. Some of the older machines thread
like that. It won't hurt to try.

Quilting Nonnie 12-27-2011 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by misseva (Post 4814944)
Thanks mtpockets1, this is what I was looking at yesterday except it was really small. Couldn't figure out how to see it big enough to read. It still doesn't have any explanation of what the knob to the left of the Bobbin Winder Tension Disc is supposed to be. Does anyone know what that's supposed to be for? See pix.

If you are on Firefox (don't know if it works on Internet Explorer), you can enlarge any "page" by holding down the control key and using the scroll key on your mouse. One direction makes it bigger, the other direction makes it smaller. I've never tried to memorize which way is which. I just try it and see what size the text changes to!

Also, I think I got a machine like yours. It was sitting in front of someone's house with a sign saying free. I'd never pass up a free machine. It worked great! I gave it to a friend who didn't have a backup sewing machine. I'll check and see about pulling the bobbin thread up, because I know the machine worked.

BTW, it threads like most machines!

misseva 12-27-2011 08:54 AM

The problem is - when I turn the hand wheel nothing in the bobbin area moves - don't most machines have something that moves to take the bobbin thread around?

belem 01-09-2012 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by misseva (Post 4812080)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]297900[/ATTACH]I know Singer site has these for sale but does anyone have one for free? I bought one for $5 & everything moves, runs EXCEPT I can't get the bobbin thread pulled up. There is a knob on the front of the bed (to the left of the thread guide for bobbin winder) that doesn't show on the pictures I see online. I'd appreciate any help you could give me. I want to give this machine to a friend.

Hi MissEva, I own one 457 so maybe I can help you but I don't quite understand what in your machine does not work. The button you mention is used to raise / lower the teeth (feed dogs). This button has nothing to do with the bobbin thread. Could you explain your problem a bit more? Is the upper thread simply not looping with the bobbin thread? Have a great day! http://www.quiltingboard.com/images/icons/icon7.png

belem 01-09-2012 03:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by misseva (Post 4815101)
The problem is - when I turn the hand wheel nothing in the bobbin area moves - don't most machines have something that moves to take the bobbin thread around?

The machine has a timing belt underneath that connects the bobbin mechanism to the motor. From what you describe it seems that the belt is either torn, loose or missing. It is not very difficult to replace but needle-hook timing setup is critical so let me know if you want to do it yourself and I will send you detailed photos. ˇBlessings!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]301823[/ATTACH]

misseva 01-10-2012 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by belem (Post 4859099)
The machine has a timing belt underneath that connects the bobbin mechanism to the motor. From what you describe it seems that the belt is either torn, loose or missing. It is not very difficult to replace but needle-hook timing setup is critical so let me know if you want to do it yourself and I will send you detailed photos. ˇBlessings!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]301823[/ATTACH]

Thanks so much. My next questions is..... How do you get the bottom off to see underneath? Looks like I would have to pry it off. The bobbin race (think that's what it's called) does not move when I move the hand wheel. On my other machines it turns and that's what makes the thread loop so the needle thread can pull it up. As you can tell, I'm not mechanical and haven't the foggiest idea what parts are called.

Queen 01-10-2012 11:09 AM

I have a 457 sitting upstairs waiting on me to work on her. If you take her top off(oh wow) and look inside, you will probably find nylon gears. It sounds like the gears are stripped and need to be replaced. Once replaced, the timing needs to be adjusted.

Mary