Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62

Thread: Singer Stylist 457 Instruction Book-free???

  1. #1
    Super Member misseva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    2,425
    Blog Entries
    3

    Singer Stylist 457 Instruction Book-free???

    Name:  Singer Stylist 457.JPG
Views: 6557
Size:  1.06 MBI know Singer site has these for sale but does anyone have one for free? I bought one for $5 & everything moves, runs EXCEPT I can't get the bobbin thread pulled up. There is a knob on the front of the bed (to the left of the thread guide for bobbin winder) that doesn't show on the pictures I see online. I'd appreciate any help you could give me. I want to give this machine to a friend.
    Last edited by misseva; 12-26-2011 at 09:06 AM.
    TwandasMom

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bartlett, Illinois
    Posts
    90
    Great find and how nice to find a machine for a friend. We will have yet another person that will see the value of the vintage machines.

    Here is the link for the manual from Singer http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...aab08a72c8.pdf

    Hope it works as I am not great at all this stuff yet. Please make sure and let us all know how everything turns out.

    Good Luck,
    Lisa

  3. #3
    Super Member misseva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    2,425
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks mtpockets1, this is what I was looking at yesterday except it was really small. Couldn't figure out how to see it big enough to read. It still doesn't have any explanation of what the knob to the left of the Bobbin Winder Tension Disc is supposed to be. Does anyone know what that's supposed to be for? See pix.
    TwandasMom

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    193

    Red face

    could it be the reverse button.
    And as for the bobbin thread not coming up,
    try threading the machine in the opposite direction.
    If you are threading it right to left, try left to right,
    maybe that is what it needs. Some of the older machines thread
    like that. It won't hurt to try.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Quilting Nonnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    Thanks mtpockets1, this is what I was looking at yesterday except it was really small. Couldn't figure out how to see it big enough to read. It still doesn't have any explanation of what the knob to the left of the Bobbin Winder Tension Disc is supposed to be. Does anyone know what that's supposed to be for? See pix.
    If you are on Firefox (don't know if it works on Internet Explorer), you can enlarge any "page" by holding down the control key and using the scroll key on your mouse. One direction makes it bigger, the other direction makes it smaller. I've never tried to memorize which way is which. I just try it and see what size the text changes to!

    Also, I think I got a machine like yours. It was sitting in front of someone's house with a sign saying free. I'd never pass up a free machine. It worked great! I gave it to a friend who didn't have a backup sewing machine. I'll check and see about pulling the bobbin thread up, because I know the machine worked.

    BTW, it threads like most machines!

  6. #6
    Super Member misseva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    2,425
    Blog Entries
    3
    The problem is - when I turn the hand wheel nothing in the bobbin area moves - don't most machines have something that moves to take the bobbin thread around?
    TwandasMom

  7. #7
    Member belem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Worship Dance Leader @ Saltillo Mexico
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    Name:  Singer Stylist 457.JPG
Views: 6557
Size:  1.06 MBI know Singer site has these for sale but does anyone have one for free? I bought one for $5 & everything moves, runs EXCEPT I can't get the bobbin thread pulled up. There is a knob on the front of the bed (to the left of the thread guide for bobbin winder) that doesn't show on the pictures I see online. I'd appreciate any help you could give me. I want to give this machine to a friend.
    Hi MissEva, I own one 457 so maybe I can help you but I don't quite understand what in your machine does not work. The button you mention is used to raise / lower the teeth (feed dogs). This button has nothing to do with the bobbin thread. Could you explain your problem a bit more? Is the upper thread simply not looping with the bobbin thread? Have a great day!

  8. #8
    Member belem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Worship Dance Leader @ Saltillo Mexico
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    The problem is - when I turn the hand wheel nothing in the bobbin area moves - don't most machines have something that moves to take the bobbin thread around?
    The machine has a timing belt underneath that connects the bobbin mechanism to the motor. From what you describe it seems that the belt is either torn, loose or missing. It is not very difficult to replace but needle-hook timing setup is critical so let me know if you want to do it yourself and I will send you detailed photos. ˇBlessings!
    Name:  captura.JPG
Views: 5387
Size:  8.7 KB

  9. #9
    Super Member misseva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    2,425
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by belem View Post
    The machine has a timing belt underneath that connects the bobbin mechanism to the motor. From what you describe it seems that the belt is either torn, loose or missing. It is not very difficult to replace but needle-hook timing setup is critical so let me know if you want to do it yourself and I will send you detailed photos. ˇBlessings!
    Name:  captura.JPG
Views: 5387
Size:  8.7 KB
    Thanks so much. My next questions is..... How do you get the bottom off to see underneath? Looks like I would have to pry it off. The bobbin race (think that's what it's called) does not move when I move the hand wheel. On my other machines it turns and that's what makes the thread loop so the needle thread can pull it up. As you can tell, I'm not mechanical and haven't the foggiest idea what parts are called.
    TwandasMom

  10. #10
    Senior Member Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    392
    Blog Entries
    14
    I have a 457 sitting upstairs waiting on me to work on her. If you take her top off(oh wow) and look inside, you will probably find nylon gears. It sounds like the gears are stripped and need to be replaced. Once replaced, the timing needs to be adjusted.

    Mary

  11. #11
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,579
    Blog Entries
    19
    An obvious question - Is the hand wheel engaged? Or was it loosened to fill a bobbin and not tightened back to normal? Is the needle in correctly. It should thread to left to right. If it's a drop in bobbin, is the thread all the way into the tension groove? Most have a slight click.

  12. #12
    Member belem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Worship Dance Leader @ Saltillo Mexico
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    Thanks so much. My next questions is..... How do you get the bottom off to see underneath? Looks like I would have to pry it off. The bobbin race (think that's what it's called) does not move when I move the hand wheel. On my other machines it turns and that's what makes the thread loop so the needle thread can pull it up. As you can tell, I'm not mechanical and haven't the foggiest idea what parts are called.
    Hi MissEva, Queen is right, it could be that the top plastic nylon gear is broken so let's check this first as it is an easier step.

    Make sure you disconnect and unthread the machine first.

    You will need a screwdriver to unscrew the two bolts on top of your machine to take the top cover off. Take a look at the plastic nylon gear and see if there is any damage as you turn the hand wheel. Put back the cover and lets then check the timing belt as a second step.
    Name:  IMG_3233.JPG
Views: 1161
Size:  93.9 KB Name:  IMG_3235.JPG
Views: 1382
Size:  100.8 KB
    To get the bottom off unscrew the two bolts and the round button underneath. This will allow you to separate the bottom plastic from the sewing machine.
    Name:  IMG_3236.JPG
Views: 1141
Size:  97.5 KB Name:  IMG_3237.JPG
Views: 1160
Size:  190.4 KB Name:  IMG_3238.JPG
Views: 1131
Size:  105.6 KB
    Then you will find a second metal bottom cover. Just unscrew the second part of the round button and the cover will come off. Inspect the timing belt and see what happens when you hand turn the two sprockets.
    Name:  IMG_3240.JPG
Views: 1145
Size:  121.8 KB Name:  IMG_3239.JPG
Views: 1111
Size:  153.5 KB
    Let me know the outcome of your visual inspection and we will go from there depending on your findings. ˇBlessings!

  13. #13
    Member belem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Worship Dance Leader @ Saltillo Mexico
    Posts
    20
    There are two upper gears one white on top and one black underneath. Make sure you check both...
    Attachment 302199

  14. #14
    Super Member misseva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    2,425
    Blog Entries
    3
    Oh Wow, thanks for this information. I'll check it when I get home this afternoon. You ladies are awesome!!!!

    By the way, I couldn't open the attachment on the last 302199
    TwandasMom

  15. #15
    Member belem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Worship Dance Leader @ Saltillo Mexico
    Posts
    20
    This is attachment 302199. I don't know why it did not showed it in my last post.
    Name:  IMG_3241.JPG
Views: 1143
Size:  85.9 KB

  16. #16
    Super Member misseva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    2,425
    Blog Entries
    3
    OK, I was able to get into the top and I see nothing broken. Gears all look fine. Opened the bottom and it looks just like your picture. Timing belt intact. I'll try to attach a pix of the area I think is the problem. See the arrow? Nothing in that area moved when I use the hand wheel to raise and lower the needle. It is not disengaged for bobbin winding. On my other machines something in this area moves to make a loop for the needle thread. And the instruction book shows it threading from front to back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TwandasMom

  17. #17
    Super Member misseva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    2,425
    Blog Entries
    3
    Akkkkk - I actually did it!!!!
    TwandasMom

  18. #18
    Member belem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Worship Dance Leader @ Saltillo Mexico
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    OK, I was able to get into the top and I see nothing broken. Gears all look fine. Opened the bottom and it looks just like your picture. Timing belt intact. I'll try to attach a pix of the area I think is the problem. See the arrow? Nothing in that area moved when I use the hand wheel to raise and lower the needle. It is not disengaged for bobbin winding. On my other machines something in this area moves to make a loop for the needle thread. And the instruction book shows it threading from front to back.
    The sprockets and timing belt should turn when you use the hand wheel. Actually, the left sprocket directly drives the loop mechanism you mention. Are they moving at all?

  19. #19
    Member belem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Worship Dance Leader @ Saltillo Mexico
    Posts
    20
    If the sprockets do not move then re-check the top gears as the bottom black one directly drives the right bottom sprocket. Let me know...

  20. #20
    Super Member misseva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    2,425
    Blog Entries
    3
    Pardon my ignorance but a sprocket would look like????? Upon closer examination, I found the bottom black gear crumbled when touched with a screwdriver. Is this something I can replace and where would I get one?
    TwandasMom

  21. #21
    Member belem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Worship Dance Leader @ Saltillo Mexico
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but a sprocket would look like????? Upon closer examination, I found the bottom black gear crumbled when touched with a screwdriver. Is this something I can replace and where would I get one?
    Hi MissEva, sprocket is just a similar word for gear. I used it to differentiate the upper ones connecting the motor from the bottom ones driving the timing belt.

    Well, you did great with the diagnostics and it looks like the upper black gear is damaged to the point that it would not engage when the white gear turns (it is supposed to turn when the white gear turns). Just make sure that if you hand turn the bottom right sprocket (the gear holding the timing belt) it then turns the timing belt and then bottom left sprocket turns the hook-loop mechanism that you pointed out in your photo. This way we will make sure everything else is working fine.

    You can buy the damaged gear at many places selling singer spare parts. Here is one for $6 on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-Verti...item3a6efa8db7

    I will separately post for you the steps to replace the gear and the steps to adjust the "needle-hook timing" which sounds complex but it just means we need to adjust the exact turn position of the bobbin part to catch the needle thread as it comes down.

    Do not hesitate to ask me any questions. Have a great day!
    Last edited by belem; 01-12-2012 at 07:35 AM.

  22. #22
    Member belem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Worship Dance Leader @ Saltillo Mexico
    Posts
    20
    Guide to replace the BLACK PLASTIC GEAR on TOP for Singer Stylist 457


    STEP 1: Remove the top cover, as well as the left side cover. Remove also the bottom covers. You will have to remove the front cover. Keep all screws in a small container for re-installation. Remember these machines were built on the 1960's so treat all parts gently. You will have access to the black gear once the face plate is removed.After this, you are now ready to remove the broken gear.




    STEP 2: REMOVING THE BROKEN GEAR. First, you will have to remove the timing belt tensioner and the timing belt underneath. Then, by inserting a long flat screwdriver in the illustrated opening, you will be able to remove the gear set screw. Note that I also removed the needle position lever which is retained by one screw, to gain access when removing the old gear and to reinstall the new one. This lever serves to adjust the center position of the needle.



    Once the gear set screw is removed, you will have to pull the vertical shaft underneath. The broken gear will slip out of the shaft
    . Do not remove the entire shaft. Pulling it approximately 2 inches is enough to release the black top gear.



    You are now ready to install the new gear. If necessary replace its set screw with the old one.
    Be sure also to clean the bigger (white color) gear which match the top gear. Check for any debris between the teeth.


    STEP 3: INSTALLING THE NEW GEAR. Reinsert the vertical shaft so it is flush with the gear surface. With your long screwdriver, slip the new gear in it, and put your screwdriver blade in contact with the gear location (on top of the vertical shaft). Slip the gear to its original position while inserting the shaft slowly. This method is recommended instead of trying to place the gear with your fingers. The gear can fall at the back of the mechanism or fall down in the motor.



    Hold now the gear with your fingers on one hand, and with the other hand, push the vertical shaft in place. Be sure the flat side of the shaft comes in contact with the gear set screw. Tighten the set screw firmly when the vertical shaft is completely inserted.
    You are now done with the first part. Second part is placing back the timing belt and adjusting the needle-hook timing.




  23. #23
    Super Member misseva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    2,425
    Blog Entries
    3
    Well, I checked and and sprockets/gears that the timing belt is on was frozen but I was able to get them turning again and I can see that when I turn it the needle-hook turns!!! So it looks like all I need is the black gear which I will order right away AND I'll try to talk someone who is mechanical to install it. I know, I know, it's simple for you but it scares me to just read the instructions. Guess I shouldn't be since I've only spent $5 on it. What could go wrong?
    TwandasMom

  24. #24
    Super Member misseva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    2,425
    Blog Entries
    3
    OK now, I've got the gear ordered. Here's hoping I can do it.
    TwandasMom

  25. #25
    Member belem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Worship Dance Leader @ Saltillo Mexico
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    Well, I checked and and sprockets/gears that the timing belt is on was frozen but I was able to get them turning again and I can see that when I turn it the needle-hook turns!!! So it looks like all I need is the black gear which I will order right away AND I'll try to talk someone who is mechanical to install it. I know, I know, it's simple for you but it scares me to just read the instructions. Guess I shouldn't be since I've only spent $5 on it. What could go wrong?
    Hi again MissEva, you have done great so far

    In a nutshell, the instructions read "take all covers off, remove the belt and then unscrew the black gear". God so far has blessed you with a great gift for your friend and the talent to diagnose what is wrong so I would keep trusting Him to guide you through the rest of the process.

    I will post for you the remaining part which is synchronizing the needle with the hook after you install the new black gear and BEFORE you power up the machine again.

    Don't worry too much, worst thing can happen is breaking the needle if you power up the machine before synchronizing it with the loop mechanism. Best thing can happen is that you will save a repair fee around 100 dollars plus the satisfaction that you are now one of the few that are brave enough to do this kind of repair. I will also post for you the lubrication procedure so your machine will now be good as new. For this you will need a tube of sewing machine oil and another one of sewing machine lubricant (grease) which should be available at places even like Walmart. The oil must simply be the sewing machine type and the lubricant (grease) simply should be silicon type and not petroleum type.

    Congratulations again on your progress so far!

    Blessings!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.