Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can't Stop Shopping (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cant-stop-shopping-t228249.html)

Julie R 08-18-2013 04:38 PM

Can't Stop Shopping

I've become obsessed with searching for quilting fabric on Craigslist and at garage sales. I'm sure my family will be staging an intervention soon. It all started when I came across fabric at Joann's priced at $12.99 yard. I make a lot of charity quilts for Quilts for Kids but I just can't see spending that kind of money for them (I know not all fabrics cost that much). Anyway, I've thoroughly enjoyed the summer garage sale season and I've had some good finds. One lady was a fabric designer, another sewed Vera Bradley knock-off purses - so they've had really some really great fabrics at great prices.

My name is Julie - and I'm a fabri-holic.

zazulka 08-18-2013 04:42 PM

We're in the same club.
My name is Sophie and I'm a fabri-holic.

MdmSew'n'Sew 08-18-2013 04:48 PM

My name is Sue and I'm a fabri-olic ... and I love it! :rolleyes:

DogHouseMom 08-18-2013 05:03 PM

My name is Sue and I'm a fabri-holic.

I don't do the garage sale thing though. I stick to LQS but usually wait for sales. The last sale I attended was 75% because the shop was closing. They also gave an extra 5% off if you finished the bolt, and I found a lot of skinny bolts. I walked home with 77 yards of fabric for less than $300.00.

Misty's Mom 08-18-2013 05:08 PM

My name is Kathy and I'm a fabri-holic and proud of it.

Annaquilts 08-18-2013 05:14 PM

I also look at garage sales etc. I got to a point I was going to stop quilting or I had to start using fabric I could find. I am happy with my choice. I do avoid looking at all the new fabrics as I can't afford it. I also do donation quilts and also do quilting for some one else that does donation quilts, Vietnam vets and hospice, and I quilt them. I did find some one that was looking to donate very nice Moda fabric but she wanted a recipe for tax deductible and of course we can't afford to have tax exempt status.

SlightlyOffQuilter 08-18-2013 05:26 PM

I am in the same boat ! I do still love to look at the new fabrics though, and if there is something that I really love, I try and get just a fat quarter of it to mix in with my other fabric finds with whatever I am going to make. Honestly, unless the person you are giving the item that you made to is a quilter or fabric person, they have no clue !

Shelbie 08-18-2013 05:45 PM

Everyone on this board loves fabric or they wouldn't be a member. Fabric just seems to call our name even though we may have yards of the stuff at home. I think it's a good idea to set yourself a budget and not overspend your amount. Periodically you also need to take a look at what you have and perhaps do some sharing. I think there are a lot of worse problems than loving fabric.

Lori S 08-18-2013 06:15 PM

I am proud to be a fabric addict! No 12 step for me!

MaryMo 08-18-2013 06:20 PM

Garage sales and estate sales are great places to shop for fabric ..... I love it. I finally got selective in the fabric I bought since my stash became notorious. Enjoy the experience, there are worse things you could be doing.