Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advice on this "watercolor" quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-watercolor-quilt-t286641.html)

SherB 03-07-2017 08:41 PM

Need advice on this "watercolor" quilt

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]569589[/ATTACH] This is my first watercolor quilt. Well, actually, my second attempt, but the first was regulated to "file 13". It is 2" squares, unsewn. Bunny and raccoon are painted on separate fabric to be appliquéd after sewing the background together, if I get that far! I was attempting to make it look like the sun is shining on my critters. Do I need to reverse my light and dark yellows? Should the yellows be eliminated altogether? This is the first quilt new quilters should make. I have learned so much about color value with this project. Still, lots more to learn. All suggestions will be appreciated.

bj 03-07-2017 08:52 PM

I think the yellow is like a shaft of sunlight breaking through to the forest floor. I like it just as it is. It's gonna be beautiful!

Kassaundra 03-07-2017 09:00 PM

It is giving the effect you are wanting. My only suggestion would be to look at pics w/ light beams like your doing, the white is the "hottest" or most central light beam. I agree w/ your idea of switching to make more white squares in the center of the "beam" And it is adorable!

Vicki1212 03-07-2017 09:21 PM

Absolutely stunning! I think it is beautiful exactly like it is! I wouldn't swap the yellows either. I Googled pictures of rays of sunshine and it seems the yellows can be seen both ways i.e. more intense on the edges or more intense in the middle so either way would work but I love it as it is. What a beautiful sense of peace and companionship I get from looking at these three little friends huddled together in a sunbeam having fun! Love it! Love it!

P.s. one of the reasons I like the yellow in the center is the way it interacts with the characters with the 'warmth' of the sun actually shining directly onto them instead of a cooler center of whites. I think you have a good mix as the yellow is not too solid either.

Jane Quilter 03-07-2017 09:49 PM

It is fabulous. I would not change a thing.....just finish her up....It is adorable.

Gannyrosie 03-08-2017 03:22 AM

Just like you took this pic, I would switch them around several dif ways and take pics. Don't look at the pics for a day, then put all the pics side by side and see which one suits you. Personally I would like to see the yellows more in the middle going down from dark to like, JMHO.

QuiltnNan 03-08-2017 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by bj (Post 7779831)
I think the yellow is like a shaft of sunlight breaking through to the forest floor. I like it just as it is. It's gonna be beautiful!

This was my first thought too.

NJ Quilter 03-08-2017 03:56 AM

I think you've done an excellent job! Watercolor quilts can be quite challenging and I think you've hit the nail on the head with this one.

nabobw 03-08-2017 05:05 AM

I love it just like you have it.

PaperPrincess 03-08-2017 05:12 AM

I also like the yellow. Wonderful start! Please post the finished project.