Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help deciding batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-deciding-batting-t289575.html)

running1 07-10-2017 06:21 PM

Need help deciding batting?

Hello all...I've made a twin-size I-spy quilt for my granddaughter...and will be making another one for my granddaughter who is on the way...I want it to be a "summer weight" quilt...if that is such a thing? Is there a 100% cotton batting that is thin? would that be a good choice? Or should I stick to an 80/20 blend? I don't want the quilt to be too heavy. Please, I'm looking forward to your help? Thank you!!

Dina 07-10-2017 07:10 PM

I don't really know the answer to your question about a summer weight batting, but I have read here that some folks use just flannel for a light batting. I am pretty sure it should be washed first, as flannel shrinks a lot!

Dina

tellabella 07-10-2017 08:09 PM

In my experience, 100% cotton batt is heavier...I love Hobbs Heirloom...80/20...and it is lighter than the Warm and Natural cotton I use...I have never just used flannel so can't comment on that suggestion given...I use Hobbs now on almost all the quilts I Longarm...

audsgirl 07-10-2017 09:21 PM

My favorite batting brand is Quilter's Dream, and they have several weights, one of which is pretty thin. It's a very consistent batting with a soft hand. I can't remember the name of the lightest one. Sorry.

Leslie

QuiltnNan 07-10-2017 10:51 PM

I have used flannel and it is lightweight. However, when quilting your quilt, there is not much definition to your quilting design. Just a thought to consider.

copycat 07-11-2017 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by tellabella (Post 7861570)
In my experience, 100% cotton batt is heavier...I love Hobbs Heirloom...80/20...and it is lighter than the Warm and Natural cotton I use...I have never just used flannel so can't comment on that suggestion given...I use Hobbs now on almost all the quilts I Longarm...

I agree that using Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 gives you a lightweight quilt. You won't get the crinkly look like you do with the cotton batting.

Aurora 07-11-2017 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by running1 (Post 7861548)
Hello all...I've made a twin-size I-spy quilt for my granddaughter...and will be making another one for my granddaughter who is on the way...I want it to be a "summer weight" quilt...if that is such a thing? Is there a 100% cotton batting that is thin? would that be a good choice? Or should I stick to an 80/20 blend? I don't want the quilt to be too heavy. Please, I'm looking forward to your help? Thank you!!

One of our local WalMarts just started selling Warm and White 100% cotton neddlepunched on a big roll, it is rather thin and I was very happy to see it available locally.

Quilt30 07-11-2017 03:07 AM

Quilters Dream in Request is what I would suggest. I would not use Warm and White as it is a bit heavier than the Dream Request. Hobbs Thermore is the lightest. It is a very thin poly batting used a lot in quilted clothing.

Bree123 07-11-2017 03:42 AM

I agree that Quilters Dream Request is definitely the thinnest, lightest cotton batting. As a result, the quilting will have very little definition ... but as long as you're okay with that, it's a good option. Typically, the focus of children's quilt is the color and/or motif -- the quilting is more functional than decorative in that case. Cotton is still plenty warm, though, so I'm not sure I would call it "summer weight", just lightweight. I'm not sure how old your granddaughter is, but you might consider Hobbs washable wool. That would be both lighter weight & cooler than cotton, and it provides great definition for quilting. Wool is not recommended for infants as some have a sensitivity to wool and can develop a rash. An 80/20 cotton-wool blend would also be something you could consider. It isn't a whole lot cooler than 100% cotton, but it does provide better definition for your quilting.

Quiltngolfer 07-11-2017 04:08 AM

My favorite batting is Quilters Dream Request. It is so nice and thin. I use it in nearly all my quilts.