Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help deciding batting?

Blog Entries

Need help deciding batting?

Hello all...I've made a twin-size I-spy quilt for my granddaughter...and will be making another one for my granddaughter who is on the way...I want it to be a "summer weight" quilt...if that is such a thing? Is there a 100% cotton batting that is thin? would that be a good choice? Or should I stick to an 80/20 blend? I don't want the quilt to be too heavy. Please, I'm looking forward to your help? Thank you!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

I don't really know the answer to your question about a summer weight batting, but I have read here that some folks use just flannel for a light batting. I am pretty sure it should be washed first, as flannel shrinks a lot!

Dina

Blog Entries
    In my experience, 100% cotton batt is heavier...I love Hobbs Heirloom...80/20...and it is lighter than the Warm and Natural cotton I use...I have never just used flannel so can't comment on that suggestion given...I use Hobbs now on almost all the quilts I Longarm...

Blog Entries
    My favorite batting brand is Quilter's Dream, and they have several weights, one of which is pretty thin. It's a very consistent batting with a soft hand. I can't remember the name of the lightest one. Sorry.

Leslie

Blog Entries
    I have used flannel and it is lightweight. However, when quilting your quilt, there is not much definition to your quilting design. Just a thought to consider.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by tellabella View Post
    In my experience, 100% cotton batt is heavier...I love Hobbs Heirloom...80/20...and it is lighter than the Warm and Natural cotton I use...I have never just used flannel so can't comment on that suggestion given...I use Hobbs now on almost all the quilts I Longarm...
    I agree that using Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 gives you a lightweight quilt. You won't get the crinkly look like you do with the cotton batting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by running1 View Post
    Hello all...I've made a twin-size I-spy quilt for my granddaughter...and will be making another one for my granddaughter who is on the way...I want it to be a "summer weight" quilt...if that is such a thing? Is there a 100% cotton batting that is thin? would that be a good choice? Or should I stick to an 80/20 blend? I don't want the quilt to be too heavy. Please, I'm looking forward to your help? Thank you!!
    One of our local WalMarts just started selling Warm and White 100% cotton neddlepunched on a big roll, it is rather thin and I was very happy to see it available locally.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quilters Dream in Request is what I would suggest. I would not use Warm and White as it is a bit heavier than the Dream Request. Hobbs Thermore is the lightest. It is a very thin poly batting used a lot in quilted clothing.

I agree that Quilters Dream Request is definitely the thinnest, lightest cotton batting. As a result, the quilting will have very little definition ... but as long as you're okay with that, it's a good option. Typically, the focus of children's quilt is the color and/or motif -- the quilting is more functional than decorative in that case. Cotton is still plenty warm, though, so I'm not sure I would call it "summer weight", just lightweight. I'm not sure how old your granddaughter is, but you might consider Hobbs washable wool. That would be both lighter weight & cooler than cotton, and it provides great definition for quilting. Wool is not recommended for infants as some have a sensitivity to wool and can develop a rash. An 80/20 cotton-wool blend would also be something you could consider. It isn't a whole lot cooler than 100% cotton, but it does provide better definition for your quilting.

My favorite batting is Quilters Dream Request. It is so nice and thin. I use it in nearly all my quilts.

Blog Entries
    Thinist is Quilter's Dream, "Request", the blue lable. Looks like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/4924496..._listing_top-2

Blog Entries
    Bree123, she is only 2 years old.... and I'm hoping to get this quilt finished soon... I recently quilted a quilt using 100% wool and loved it! And as you have mentioned, the quilting will be only functional. I have a decision to make now! Thank you to everyone who responded!!! I can ALWAYS count on my quilting friends here on the QB!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
    I agree that Quilters Dream Request is definitely the thinnest, lightest cotton batting. As a result, the quilting will have very little definition ... but as long as you're okay with that, it's a good option. Typically, the focus of children's quilt is the color and/or motif -- the quilting is more functional than decorative in that case. Cotton is still plenty warm, though, so I'm not sure I would call it "summer weight", just lightweight. I'm not sure how old your granddaughter is, but you might consider Hobbs washable wool. That would be both lighter weight & cooler than cotton, and it provides great definition for quilting. Wool is not recommended for infants as some have a sensitivity to wool and can develop a rash. An 80/20 cotton-wool blend would also be something you could consider. It isn't a whole lot cooler than 100% cotton, but it does provide better definition for your quilting.

I found a batting at Joann's that comes 90 inches wide it's on a roll I believe it's a Heirloom brand come to think of it, it's a bit on the linty side (left fluff all over the floor but that's what brooms are for) it is very light weight and I love the drape. I can't say anything about it after washing because I just started using the quilt recently.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

I have read here many times that Poly batting doesn't breath but I tend to disagree. I use Hobbs Polydown quite a bit. It is extremely light weight and my current bed quilt has polydown and it is extremely comfortable to sleep under. And I am a "hot" sleeper. I prefer my bedroom quite cool and this quilt is great if I have the AC running or just fans. Another advantage is that it launders wonderfully. It can withstand the rigors of a lot of laundering and it dries in no time flat.

Wool is wonderful but the washing requirements for wool, depending on the brand you use, can be rather onerous. I was just reading the washing requirements on a package of Hobbs Heirloom wool and they recommend no agitation and no machine dry, to dry flat. Not many moms of a 2YO toddler are going to want to have to adhere to that. When it comes to drag around quilts for toddlers that you want to be lightweight I highly recommend Polydown.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    One of our local WalMarts just started selling Warm and White 100% cotton neddlepunched on a big roll, it is rather thin and I was very happy to see it available locally.
    I bought two rolls of warm and white when Amazon had a good and was selling 40 yards for $20. It is very thin, much thinner than warm and natural, but makes for a good summer weight batting.
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

Blog Entries
    I learned a lot from all of the suggestions in this post.
    When I made a Summer Quilt a few years ago, the girl doing the machine quilting told me after seeing the top I had made, that no batting was needed.
    We both learned that there has to be a batting of some sort. So, I now am going to use a cotton sheet for the batting.
    She said that would work well.
    We love the Summer Quilt altho the quilting wasn't as good without a batting. It is great to have for when the temp. suddenly drops in the Summer.
    Good luck with your quilt.
    Will file this so I can refer back to it when I get ready to get this one quilted.
    Thanks to all!
    Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

Blog Entries
    I often use flannel in kid's quilts. I like the thinness and I find it very durable when tugged, dragged and washed so very often. I also usually self-bind or birth a child's quilt. That way I don't have to worry about the binding being chewed off or coming loose with tons of hard use. It seems to work because the kids are still dragging around their 'blankies' after many years.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't use wool--most suggest no agitation and NO dryer--and kids quilts often need more washing. On my 3 g-boys I Spy quilts I used Hobbs 80/20. Sometimes a little heavier quilt allows restless kids to relax and sleep better! My DIL and I are talking a weighted blanket for the youngest who has a hard time settling down to sleep.

I personally like an "oriental' blend" that is bamboo, silk and cotton. It's very lite weight and breaths so it is not overly warm.

PS It washes up beautifully!

Blog Entries
    could just use pellon for the batting

Quilters Dream Request is the thinnest. It is a cotton batting. When you wash it, you'll still get that crinkly look.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Blog Entries
    Well, dear friends, I chose the Quilters Dream Request...100% Cotton and Oh So Soft!!!!! Loving it so far... Thank you everyone for your help!!!