Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help deciding batting? >

Need help deciding batting?

Need help deciding batting?

Old 07-11-2017, 04:15 AM

Thinist is Quilter's Dream, "Request", the blue lable. Looks like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/4924496..._listing_top-2
Old 07-11-2017, 04:47 AM

Bree123, she is only 2 years old.... and I'm hoping to get this quilt finished soon... I recently quilted a quilt using 100% wool and loved it! And as you have mentioned, the quilting will be only functional. I have a decision to make now! Thank you to everyone who responded!!! I can ALWAYS count on my quilting friends here on the QB!!

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I agree that Quilters Dream Request is definitely the thinnest, lightest cotton batting. As a result, the quilting will have very little definition ... but as long as you're okay with that, it's a good option. Typically, the focus of children's quilt is the color and/or motif -- the quilting is more functional than decorative in that case. Cotton is still plenty warm, though, so I'm not sure I would call it "summer weight", just lightweight. I'm not sure how old your granddaughter is, but you might consider Hobbs washable wool. That would be both lighter weight & cooler than cotton, and it provides great definition for quilting. Wool is not recommended for infants as some have a sensitivity to wool and can develop a rash. An 80/20 cotton-wool blend would also be something you could consider. It isn't a whole lot cooler than 100% cotton, but it does provide better definition for your quilting.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:34 AM

I found a batting at Joann's that comes 90 inches wide it's on a roll I believe it's a Heirloom brand come to think of it, it's a bit on the linty side (left fluff all over the floor but that's what brooms are for) it is very light weight and I love the drape. I can't say anything about it after washing because I just started using the quilt recently.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I have read here many times that Poly batting doesn't breath but I tend to disagree. I use Hobbs Polydown quite a bit. It is extremely light weight and my current bed quilt has polydown and it is extremely comfortable to sleep under. And I am a "hot" sleeper. I prefer my bedroom quite cool and this quilt is great if I have the AC running or just fans. Another advantage is that it launders wonderfully. It can withstand the rigors of a lot of laundering and it dries in no time flat.

Wool is wonderful but the washing requirements for wool, depending on the brand you use, can be rather onerous. I was just reading the washing requirements on a package of Hobbs Heirloom wool and they recommend no agitation and no machine dry, to dry flat. Not many moms of a 2YO toddler are going to want to have to adhere to that. When it comes to drag around quilts for toddlers that you want to be lightweight I highly recommend Polydown.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
One of our local WalMarts just started selling Warm and White 100% cotton neddlepunched on a big roll, it is rather thin and I was very happy to see it available locally.
I bought two rolls of warm and white when Amazon had a good and was selling 40 yards for $20. It is very thin, much thinner than warm and natural, but makes for a good summer weight batting.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:38 AM

I learned a lot from all of the suggestions in this post.
When I made a Summer Quilt a few years ago, the girl doing the machine quilting told me after seeing the top I had made, that no batting was needed.
We both learned that there has to be a batting of some sort. So, I now am going to use a cotton sheet for the batting.
She said that would work well.
We love the Summer Quilt altho the quilting wasn't as good without a batting. It is great to have for when the temp. suddenly drops in the Summer.
Good luck with your quilt.
Will file this so I can refer back to it when I get ready to get this one quilted.
Thanks to all!
Mariah
Old 07-11-2017, 05:59 PM

I often use flannel in kid's quilts. I like the thinness and I find it very durable when tugged, dragged and washed so very often. I also usually self-bind or birth a child's quilt. That way I don't have to worry about the binding being chewed off or coming loose with tons of hard use. It seems to work because the kids are still dragging around their 'blankies' after many years.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:09 PM

I wouldn't use wool--most suggest no agitation and NO dryer--and kids quilts often need more washing. On my 3 g-boys I Spy quilts I used Hobbs 80/20. Sometimes a little heavier quilt allows restless kids to relax and sleep better! My DIL and I are talking a weighted blanket for the youngest who has a hard time settling down to sleep.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:31 AM

I personally like an "oriental' blend" that is bamboo, silk and cotton. It's very lite weight and breaths so it is not overly warm.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:34 AM

PS It washes up beautifully!