Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help deciding between 2 machines >

Need help deciding between 2 machines

Need help deciding between 2 machines

Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 PM

I'm stuck between the Janome Magnolia 7330 and the Baby Lock Grace BL40A. Both are priced the same- $399. I'm a brand new quilter starting my first class next month.

I also somewhat considering the Janome Jem Gold 3, which costs $279 comes with a bunch of quilting feet that I'd have to buy if I bought on of the other machines, but I am worried I will "grow out" of it too quickly. I could see myself wanting the adjustable speed, needle up/down button, start/stop button, and variable stitch length, which the Jem Gold 3 doesn't have. The salesman also told me the motor is more powerful in the computerized machines (the Jem is not computerized), but I'm not sure if that makes a difference in the quilting I will do.

Does anyone have any insight on any of these machines?

Do you have any advice for me?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:30 PM
JJs
Banned

when all is said and done, you need ONE stitch for quilting - a straight stitch. Everything else is 'extra'...
and if you want to do machine applique, at least a zigzag is nice - so now you are up to two stitches...

frankly I use a 50+ year old Singer 301 slant needle straight stitch machine for all my quilting...
yesterday DH and I drove 200 miles round trip to pick up a Singer @1956 319w which I already love - has a gazillion stitches (with cams) is in a cabinet with bench seat and cost a whopping $25 (plus the gas to get there and back)....
Old 01-04-2010, 09:42 PM

Which one did you actually sit down and sew two pieces of 100% cotton fabric together? Welcome to the Board!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:52 PM

I sewed on all 3 of them, plus an additional machine that I have since eliminated from the running. To be honest, the Magnolia and the Grace both sewed the same to me, but I am not very experienced so that could explain it.

I guess I want to know if there are any important differences between the machine features and also which is more reliable. I don't want to be missing out on an important feature, have a machine that jams up, or have to bring it in for service often. I don't want to be unhappy with my decision in a year because it is a pretty big investment. When I began to knit, I spent $30 on needles, yarn, and a pattern, so this is quite a change.

Thanks for the welcome! I am excited to add these forums to the list of ones I read regularly. I can't wait to start quilting!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Power Poster

I would try them both out and see which one is more user friendly for you.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:01 PM

Good that you're anxious to start..and this is certainly a great place for encouragement and help. Do you have prior machine sewing experience? Will you be traveling to quilting classes regularly?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 PM

I sewed a bit as a child and young adult. My mother had a custom sewing business so I had access to machines. The most advanced thing I ever made was a bathrobe. I can sew straight lines, thread a machine, and wind a bobbin. I could probably complete a simple garment with a pattern.

I've never done any quilting, but for years now I've been watching the LJ quilting community to see the wonderful quilts they show off. I've been waiting for us to move into a bigger place and we did last month. I didn't have enough room for another hobby's worth of stash and supplies! The start-up costs of quilting were also daunting.

I will probably take a few classes before launching off on my own. I learn well from books and the internet, especially when I can come to a forum like this one with any questions. The quilt shop near me has some guest teachers for advanced techniques that I would probably continue to take after I've mastered the basics. They also have "open sewing" time and a monthly club at their shop that I'd probably attend.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 PM

I have a Janome Magnolia 7330. I am also a beginner, bought my machine in October and hadn't ever sewn before, except 1 beginner class. I LOVE my machine. I also like the fact that you can adjust the speed on it. It is a very easy machine to use and I haven't had any trouble with it. I went to a dealer and tried many different machines. I was told that the brand they see the least is the Janome brand. I couldn't be happier with mine.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:23 PM

Okay...that's where I was going with this...it is an expensive startup...but you don't have to have everything in your first piecing machine... better to have one or two of the best tools, and fabric and instruction classes and no regrets for investing in more machine than you need. There's always a machine that will do more down the road. Give yourself a chance to find out which of the options you'll personally want when you personally know what a difference they'll make in your production. I've got buddies that use simple straight stitchers when they're going to bees, group sews, etc... and have expensive computerized machines at home... piecing doesn't require bells and whistles... look into the smaller, lightweight, less expensive machines...give yourself a little time to grow into the machine of your future. I do all my sewing on a vintage Singer Featherweight...light and simple and no need for professional maintenance. I keep talking myself out of newer machine....but I have my eye on the AQS 2009 for some of the fancy features...it's still a small machine that I could carry.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Power Poster

Personally, I would stick with the first 2, and pick up additional feet here and there... Ask if they will throw in a good 1/4" foot to seal the deal :wink:
The extra's the first two have, are ones that I use all of the time and they are very handy to have... I started out on a very basic machine that I had for years...I couldn't wait to get a few bells and whistles :D:D:D