Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Quilts with doilies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilts-doilies-t291478.html)

huntannette 09-26-2017 11:55 AM

Quilts with doilies

3 Attachment(s)
Someone asked me to post photos of what I`m doing using doilies. I`m not very good at resizing and posting so hope I got a few in. So far I`ve made 4 and am working on my 5th. One is in red and was quilted by Charisma for me. I made a peach one for her. I added doilies to my embroidered ladies . That one is not quilted yet. I`m also working on a new one which is all in blue(well except for the doilies) . If the photos haven t all gone through I will try and post more on this thread. thank you for looking!!

huntannette 09-26-2017 12:16 PM

doilies in quilts

2 Attachment(s)
A few more photos

Originally Posted by huntannette (Post 7914158)
Someone asked me to post photos of what I`m doing using doilies. I`m not very good at resizing and posting so hope I got a few in. So far I`ve made 4 and am working on my 5th. One is in red and was quilted by Charisma for me. I made a peach one for her. She has quilted that one and you can view photos of it as well as the red one on her site. I added doilies to my embroidered ladies . That one is not quilted yet. I`m also working on a new one which is all in blue(well except for the doilies) . If the photos haven t all gone through I will try and post more on this thread. thank you for looking!!

nativetexan 09-26-2017 12:17 PM

Oh I love how you did that. lovely. I still love doilies. My Mother had tons of them. hated them for awhile but then i lept seeing them in antique stores and couldn't resist them.

huntannette 09-26-2017 12:20 PM

I think I`m addicted. ha ha ha I collect every doilie I can find..And I`m not lucky enough to have inherited some.

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 7914168)
Oh I love how you did that. lovely. I still love doilies. My Mother had tons of them. hated them for awhile but then i lept seeing them in antique stores and couldn't resist them.

QuiltnNan 09-26-2017 12:21 PM

they are beautiful

huntannette 09-26-2017 12:24 PM

ladies and doilies

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a view of the full ladies and doilies quilt top...It is not yet quilted

feline fanatic 09-26-2017 01:00 PM

Wow, you have shown me a whole new way too look at crocheted doilies! You really show them off beautifully in your quilts and you have found some really unique and beautiful ones. So how do you adhere them to the quilt? Do you just top stitch around the edge or do you stitch along the insides in strategic places as well? I suspect every application is different, kind of a stitch as needed. Did you also hand embroider all your bonnet ladies too? Beautiful and so very different. Well at least to me. I have seen many bloggers quilting with antique linens so maybe there are a bunch out there that do this as well?

lynnie 09-26-2017 01:04 PM

BEAUTIFUL WORK!! you did an amazing job on these quilts. what a wonderful idea. Love all the handwork in them

huntannette 09-26-2017 01:09 PM

Thank you so much !!! I do top stitch around the edges and a few strategic places as you said but I do glue them down a bit using a glue stick first. The embroidered ladies were done by my mom.....we have been working together to make quilts. She does the handwork and I set them in a quilt after. I do also use vintage embroidery to make other quilts as I`ve seen online. There are so many thrown out embroidered items out there. Hard to believe so many people discard such amazing work. I collect everything I can find and repurpose them in quilts.

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7914182)
Wow, you have shown me a whole new way too look at crocheted doilies! You really show them off beautifully in your quilts and you have found some really unique and beautiful ones. So how do you adhere them to the quilt? Do you just top stitch around the edge or do you stitch along the insides in strategic places as well? I suspect every application is different, kind of a stitch as needed. Did you also hand embroider all your bonnet ladies too? Beautiful and so very different. Well at least to me. I have seen many bloggers quilting with antique linens so maybe there are a bunch out there that do this as well?

huntannette 09-26-2017 01:15 PM

quilt made with vintage embroidery items

1 Attachment(s)
Here a photo of one of the quilts I made with vintage embroidered items....I use mostly damaged items...I repurpose them so thy are not just discarded...

Originally Posted by huntannette (Post 7914193)
Thank you so much !!! I do top stitch around the edges and a few strategic places as you said but I do glue them down a bit using a glue stick first. The embroidered ladies were done by my mom.....we have been working together to make quilts. She does the handwork and I set them in a quilt after. I do also use vintage embroidery to make other quilts as I`ve seen online. There are so many thrown out embroidered items out there. Hard to believe so many people discard such amazing work. I collect everything I can find and repurpose them in quilts.