Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Make do tools (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/make-do-tools-t56465.html)

Joyce 07-27-2010 05:53 AM

Reading some of the posts got me to thinking about my workroom.
I use a carpenter's T-sq, a regular sg, 4' long rulers, quick clamps, hand clamps. Heavy equipment nuts/washers make good weights.
A rounded off wooden dowel makes a good point turner. I sharpen the dowel in a pencil sharpener, then use sandpaper to soften the point. I like mine about 18", but you can make several sizes if you like.
You can find wood, hard rubber, hard nylon mallets, take your choice.
An empty builders snap-line tool with your choice of marking powder also works great. So go exploring in the tool dep't.

LAQUITA 07-27-2010 05:58 AM

Great suggestios! Besides I would imagine that that MIGHT be some cheaper than being labeled 'QUILT" tools.:)

THANKS for sharing.
LaQuita

katier825 07-27-2010 05:59 AM

Great ideas! Probably less expensive too! I shop for plastic organizers in the fishing aisle. Cheaper than the craft ones and almost identical by the same manufacturer.

NikkiLu 07-27-2010 06:02 AM

Fons and Porter had a show on PBS that showed them going to a hardware store to buy "tools" for their quilting projects. I cannot remember what all they bought - except they bought an aluminum oven liner to cut and make templates out of for applique - it is thin and can be cut with old sissors.

rwquilts 07-27-2010 06:04 AM

I have my own set of tools that DH isn't allowed to use without permission...whatever makes my job easier as a quilter is a good thing!

Bobbielinks 07-27-2010 06:08 AM

Another suggestion is to check out the cosmetic section for plactic containers. I use a soap dish for my pins. The top closes securely and has saved me from picking pins up off the floor many times.

raptureready 07-27-2010 06:12 AM

I peruse garage sales, thrift shops, estate sales, etc. for useful "things". Two of my favorite finds were ruler holders. I bought one of the old metal record 'worms' for my big rulers (remember the things we used to put our lp's in?) and a smaller envelope holder one for my small rulers. My envelope one just looks like a spring with feet but some of them were made to look like wiener dogs. They're very handy and I have a total of 75 cents invested in them.

Granna of 5 07-27-2010 06:24 AM

I find alot of plastic crayon and pencil boxes at yard sales, also pick up any good size baskets for projects.

cjomomma 07-27-2010 06:30 AM

I stay out of my Dad's tool room because I want to snatch some of it and take it home for my quilting. He is always losing things he wouldn't know, would he?

Grama Lehr 07-27-2010 06:34 AM

I got some clamps from the automotive section that are GREAT for holding bindings!! A whole lop cheaper than clips, they hold good and don't stick your fingers. Look like a cross between clothes pins and binder clips.