Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
ART Quilt Challenges Monthly >

ART Quilt Challenges Monthly

ART Quilt Challenges Monthly

Old 09-30-2012, 04:39 PM

what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. stupid saying, but has more than a grain of truth. coming up on the 1 yr anniversary of my mother's death. a tumultuous relationship since birth. i believe i will make something very discordant in honor of her.
have pictures, just need to pull them up, etc. will do soon!!
Old 09-30-2012, 04:42 PM

My memories will be sweet- Christmas cookies!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:19 PM

dottie- i love your piece and i agree it will make a lovely purse!
suzie--so sorry for your turmoil.
here is a pic of the dq, pre gold burnishing. and a pic of ds's quilt and the 2 inspector testers, tiger and monkey.
i'm missing one, but enjoy what i have posted.
Attached Thumbnails dhs-quilt-needlegrammy-quilt-first-boom8-blks-060.jpg   dhs-quilt-needlegrammy-quilt-first-boom8-blks-051.jpg   dhs-quilt-needlegrammy-quilt-first-boom8-blks-057.jpg  
Old 09-30-2012, 05:22 PM

think i've got them all now! tiger was so enamored of the quilt he slept on it every day until it was done. too bad he can't go to london, too!
Attached Thumbnails dhs-quilt-needlegrammy-quilt-first-boom8-blks-049.jpg  
Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 AM

[QUOTE=SewExtremeSeams;5552627] I am almost finished FMQ the one I am making for our own home. THAT one will have gold on it.

Can't wait to see the photos, the FMQ and can't wait to hear where your thoughts lead you on this month's challenge.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
tiger was so enamored of the quilt he slept on it every day until it was done. too bad he can't go to london, too!
Nice to see all your quilt inspectors approve of your latest efforts. I certainly do too. Love that fmq that is so 'wind like' where'd you get those leaves and how are they affixed?

That blue Q is certainly a snuggler and the use of color very pleasing.

Tumult with mothers and fathers is certainly not unheard of..... discordant Q's can be theraputic in my life I know. Hope you have a thoroughly satisfactory challenge on this one.

Thanks for the reminder about strength. We are moving on without too much more weeping. We are at the 'Damn! my really good cutting knives were in that stuff!' Etc.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
My memories will be sweet- Christmas cookies!
I love this idea myself and think an Xmas Q with favorite recipes is in my future. That way all the favorites don't even need to be looked up b4 use--there they will be on the wall.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:33 AM

Suzie-We were gone for over a week traveling to SC to deal with family health issues....so sorry to hear of your recent circumstances.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Linny View Post
Suzie-We were gone for over a week traveling to SC to deal with family health issues....so sorry to hear of your recent circumstances.
Thanks for the good wishes, we appreciate everyone being so thoughtful. It makes us think and rebuild with fervor knowing others care.

Family health issues can be so stressful, hope everything came out well and that it is mostly behind you.

Thinking about this month's 'beloved memory theme' to get creative I hope.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 PM

don't laugh-- the maple leaves came from a small multibranch "silk flower" stem. i cut off the protruding stem and sewed 5 or 6 stitches into the leaf along the vein, locking stitches at each end. i did the thread painting ( new technique for me) and adding the leaves (semi-new technique as i normally create my own 3D items) to the batting and top of the quilt as one unit. i learned i needed some kind of stabilizer (one could argue thread painting is very much like embroidery) which i completely didn't think of. then i added the backing and did the fmq, also a new technique for me. i think it's rather fun, this fmq-ing. as soon as i get my timing down pat i'm sure it will be a blast!! since you saw it last i have added gold burnishing to many of the leaves and along the trunk, and small bits of the blue (binding fabric) as seen thru the leaves. i like the effect of the gold, and as a texas inspired artist, i couldn't resist the bling !