Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 40 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Fabric Moratorium

Blog Entries

2016 Fabric Moratorium

Welcome to the 2016 Fabric Moratorium.
    We have general guidelines, but please just do whatever makes sense for you. Although we call it the "Fabric Moratorium" the main idea is to not add to our stash and hopefully reduce it!
    Here are some general guidelines:
    * No fabric purchases "just for your stash" from Jan 1 until U.S. Black Friday (11/25/16).
    * When you start a new project, shop your stash first. If you don't have anything that will work, then feel free to make a purchase. Hopefully at least some of the fabric for every new project will come from your existing stash.
    As the year progresses, post your updates here. We can support and encourage each other, post tips on how you use your stash, and any planned new projects where you shopped your stash!
    Let us know about falling off the wagon, everyone enjoys a great excuse to purchase fabric.
    Pictures are always wonderful!
    As stated these are just guidelines, there are no Moratorium police! Just start using all that gorgeous fabric in your stash, after all, that's what you bought it for!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

PaperPrincess, thanks for setting this up for us again this year. Maybe this will be the year I stick to it! I am getting better about shopping my stash first. Happy New Year!
    Sophie2

I'm in. I just finished sorting and folding all my fabric. Ridiculous amount of fabric. Weeded out a large tote full of old double knit scraps that I've been going to use someday. Haven't touched it in 20 years, time for it to go. Going to weed out all of my counted cross stitch stuff, too. I lost my job, so I will have some time and need to sew from the stash. I've found my taste has changed over time and I have a lot of that "what was I thinking" fabric, but I determined to put it to use and make something pretty out of it. Thanks for starting this and the encouragement.

In the beautiful hills of northwest Connecticut.
    I've been doing this (on my own) for a couple of years ... but last year I fell off the fabric wagon! So I'm back on ... & I'm joining your support group. I AM A FABRICHOLIC!
    ​My soul is fed with needle & thread.

Yes I am joining in again. It has helped me tremendously the last couple of years. Thank you PaperPrincess!
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Wish I could join but there always seems to be another fabric that I need to finish up a charity quilt. I also don't make New Year Resolution. I wish you ALL very good luck with using up your stash.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I am back in, with a goal-- to have all of my fabric "in front" and on fabric boards by the end of 2016, without increasing the number of UFOs. I see a lot of scrap quilts in my future.
    Last edited by Krisb; 01-02-2016 at 08:56 AM.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Blog Entries
    I really, really need to do this! And I will try, try, try!
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Oh you can still join us! If you need something and you don't have it then you Can buy it! The rules are flexible really its about using as much as you can from what you already got but we know sometimes buying is necessary and good for our mental health. We support either way and love to see pictures when someone falls off the wagon.

I am in again I cut my fabric purchases since joining by about 2/3 or better and that's huge for me. I am learning to be scrappy and make do with what I got and actually loving the results. So on to the wagon I go and I am starting by resuming organizing my fabric in totes and sorting it out so its easy to shop. Its amazing what I forgot I had.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Wish I could join but there always seems to be another fabric that I need to finish up a charity quilt. I also don't make New Year Resolution. I wish you ALL very good luck with using up your stash.

I "plan" on using my stash up and not purchase anything unless it is a request to make something I don't have in my pile. Have been off to a good start since August so hope I can keep it up.
    I don't know how to do that.....YET!
    Life Is About Using The Whole Box Of Crayons.

I DO look through my stash first and feel proud when I use what I already have.

Ok, I'm taking the pledge!! I will use the fabrics in my stash FIRST, only shopping for a required color or backing or batting, to the best of my ability and mental health, so help me by the Quilting Angels! Haha. Have been trying to do this for the past six months, and it is fun to see what happens putting different shades and values together. I do have lots of older fabric that looks dated these days, but "what goes around, comes around" is true in fashionable colors, too, so maybe my older fabrics will look right in style, if I ever finish up some projects!

I will join this group and hopefully at the end, have more open shelf space in the sewing room than I do now. I will be participating in a workshop with guild members on Monday and we will be making children's quilts together. I will be contributing three yards of fabric to the event.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

I am pretty good at doing my shopping from my own stash. I have enough for more than my lifetime. I have several kits that have been waiting for me to get motivated. Hopefully, this will be the year.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm back on the wagon too. Thanks for providing a safe and non-judgmental meeting place.
    Yesterday I read a new way of dealing with UFOs. One of the gals on a different forum is planning to "advance" her projects. I like that. It takes some of the pressure off.

Instead of working on UFOs I started another project. SIGH! So right now I have 3 new ones going. I need a kick in the behind.

I'm in too. When I started quilting I thought I should buy random fabrics to establish my stash and didn't realize until some time later that coordinating colors is not as easy as I thought. I also got sucked into buying clearance fabrics, especially the ones say "mystery bundle" or "10 one yard cuts for $20" deals, and got some ugly fabrics. Now I think it's better to buy beautiful bundles or quilt kits that I really love and pay full price than to get discounted fabrics that I'm not 100% sure about. Last year I started using up these ugly fabrics for easy projects, like cloth napkins and pot holders that will be used and stained (and I can save money on paper napkins). I also plan to use up some of ugly yardages for DH's boxers. I have a couple of old mattress protectors and am wondering if I can cut them into squares and cover them with fabrics for animal shelter donation. Or, I can use up ugly yardages for practicing machine quilting. For some of my beautiful fat quarters that don't fit with any of other fabrics I own, I think I'll use them up making pocket tissue holders and give away to my friends. Then I'll have more space and I can really enjoy the fabrics that I really like. What are your ideas for using up fabrics that you don't like too much?

Blog Entries
    I'm definitely in. I created my stash last year by buying 57+ yards of fabric. i figure if I cut that in half this year I'll have done well. And I am learning to shop the stash first.

And yes I have a scrappy quilt up on the design wall so that as I create scraps I use them.

Ugly fabrics are going to be used in a grandmother's garden quilt using very small pieces.

I really need to join in this group! My stash grew by a huge amount in 2015 as I got sucked into the "sales" from several online fabric retailers. Most are all lovely and ones that I can use---but I just over bought in quantity. How do you all handle the fabric deal emails??? I guess I should try to unsubscribe or delete them without opening them. I feel like an addict!
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

I am in need of this thread!! My husband says I am a fabric hoarder. My addiction is fat quarters. I plan to sort through my stash tomorrow for projects I have committed to this year.

I'm in again! My biggest problems are estate/garage sales and donated fabric. The gal that hosts my church quilting group gives me fabric that is under 5 inches in width. I bought an Accuquilt Go and plan on using that to cut up the scraps that have accumulated from these donations. Lots more scrappy quilts will be in my future.

Connie

I was doing well last year, but did stock up on cyber Monday. I know I have some backing to get for a special memory quilt, but normally I really try to use my stash for the back. I'm in
    The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary.

I will be here again this year. I think I did pretty good last year. I only bought Plain colored sheets at the thrift shop for slashing and borders. Bought material BF on my trip from older son's. I bought half what I did in 2014. This year I plan not to buy any material if I can keep from it.

I'm joining again this year!! Thank you for providing support for us addicts. I fell off the wagon before January was over last year, but the good news is that I haven't bought any fabric this year. AND drove past two quilt shops while visiting family (without stopping!)

I'm so happy to see this thread going. Thanks to being a part of this group, I purchased about a fourth of what I normally would have in 2015. Still too much, but at least I'm going in the right direction. I plan on using fabrics from my stash in each quilt top I make and only purchase what is absolutely necessary to complete a quilt.

Even though I've only been quilting 6 years, I've amassed an amazing amount of fabric, and like others, have noticed my tastes have changed. So my goal is to make a dozen easy patterns of the "not so loveable" fabrics for charity quilts. That will help cut down on the stash.

Plus I'm going to use some beloved collections in a few quilts. I have a tendency to not use up my favourite fabrics as they seem too pretty to cut up. But I purchased them to make quilts from, so how dumb is that?

I'm in! My stash is over-flowing from the linen closet turned into craft closet. 2 large bins and several bags and boxes in my sewing room closet! I've thought about therapy but this thread is cheaper!! My weakness is fat quarters. I've already pulled out enough fabric to start 4 baby quilts (2 sets of twins). I think I'll really only need backing and batting through the year. The only thing I have planned is a special quilt for my daughter in law but most of that will come from her college t-shirts. I can't wait to see/hear what everyone is doing!

Page 1 of 40 1 2 11 ... LastLast