Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 39 of 77 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 ... LastLast

Thread: Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Vicki, I have thought about varigated thread many times while working on quilts. I will give it a try someday. On this on, I have started with a light cream color. Had two done before I got your message. I will do it someday though, I promise.
    Anne L. Fulton

Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake.

Blog Entries
    Name:  Transportation D9P 001.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  862.5 KBWell, just finished putting the sashings on and sewing the rows together. I'm pleased with how this turned out. No not everything lines up exactly, but that's okay. When I do the next one it will be with fabrics that don't stand out as much when joining. Can't wait to see what Jen adds tomorrow.

Take care everyone.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the LIFE, in your years. (Abe Lincoln)

"The Best" The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. (Helen Keller)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 View Post
    Here is a photo of some of my orphan blocks, do you see any possibilities? I have done several quilts with QAYG but they always look kind of messy on the back. Hope to see suggestions on how to finish the back.
    here's an idea I have just looking at your different blocks -- take the 4 "kinda" log cabin type blocks and turn them to create a different look (this could be the center of the quilt). The scrappy stars could be placed around the center (align 3 on each side) then the ladies set along top and bottom. Place the butterflies in the corners.

without a design wall for me to play with your blocks, if you try this arrangement and take a pic, maybe we can help you further. Although I'm thinking you might have to add a couple more rows to those "center" blocks.

It could turn out awful once I see it on your wall but that's how I figure things out :-)
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!

Vicki G - Have a Great Day !!
    www.vickigdesigns.com

Blog Entries
    Everose I'm loving seeing what you're working on! What an adorable boy's quilt this will be!

Blog Entries
    Vicig626, thanks for the suggestion. Going to give it a try in just a little while. I have more of the Indian girls and the strip star blocks. I also have strip pieces of the bright colored 9 patches that I could make up very quickly. Don't have any more of the other blocks. I do have more orphan blocks, but can't find them right now. I thought they were all together.

Everose, your quilt is adorable.

Blog Entries

Adding borders

Name:  Attaching Borders #1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  83.5 KB

Using the same sandwiching technique I used to make the squares, I cut my top borders to my finished size adding in the 1/4 inch seam allowance. I cut my batting at least half an inch larger then my top borders. I cut the back pieces almost the same size the my batting. I used spray basting adhesive. I lightly heat pressed the backing onto the batting first then I flipped over the unit and sprayed the batting with adhesive and then gently rolled my top border piece down the batting border smoothing and re-positioning as needed to center my top border piece onto the Border Sandwich. I have already chalked traced my design onto my top border. I did not heat set the top border because I was not sure if the iron would mess up my stenciling or possible set the colored chalk into the fabric.

Name:  Attaching Borders #2.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  78.4 KB

I ran a basting stitch around the edges of the Border Sandwich and then began to quilt my design on the border.

Name:  Attaching Borders #3.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  84.4 KB

When I quilted the center of the short and long side strips I rolled the front and back of the border into a scroll. I found that this gave me great control and I was easily able to guide the needle. (In the picture above I am quilting the bottom border. I did not take the extra step of basting all the way around the edges. I had found that the spray basting was holding well enough.) I don't know that this will always hold true. *** My personal thoughts are that the denser quilting designs such as stippling or tight geometrical designs need to have the extra hold of the sewn basting around the edges. ***

Name:  Attaching Borders #4.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  97.6 KB

I then trimmed the excess batting and backing.

Name:  Attaching Borders #5.jpg
Size:  108.3 KB
    To give myself room for error I made my top border longer than it needed to be. So at this point I trimmed both sides of the top border in relation to the design of my quilting. Now Im ready to attach the border to my center piece.
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries

ADDING BORDERS Part II

Name:  Attaching Borders #6.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  100.9 KB

Using the same length 1 inch top and the folded 1-3/4 back sashing strip I prepare to attach the top border strip to the central unit of the quilt.

Name:  Attaching Borders #7.jpg
Size:  104.1 KB

To help deal with the bulk of my center unit. I fan folded the center unit and used clips to hold it in place.

Name:  Attaching Borders #8.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  104.2 KB Name:  Attaching Borders #9.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  87.9 KB

This created a nice compact unit I could manage at the sewing machine.

Name:  Attaching Borders #10.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  107.9 KB

Once I finished attaching the border unit then I squared the corners.

Name:  Attaching Borders #11.jpg
Size:  129.5 KB

The top border is attached and I'm ready to move on to attaching the bottom and then the two sides in the same manner.

Name:  DSC02215.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  1.30 MB

I will post pictures of my front and back finished project picture as soon as I'm done with the binding. I look forward to seeing more finished projects Ladies.

Have an Awesome Day.
    Have an awesome day!

Oh Jenniky! I love the quiltin' ya put in the border strips!!!! Your instructions are so awesome!!!
    PS. I'm still frog stitchin'.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Jenniky, can you share what type of chalk you used to trace your design on the border. It left such a nice thin line! I need to get some of that. I always have a problem knowing what to use tracing my designs.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
    Jenniky, can you share what type of chalk you used to trace your design on the border. It left such a nice thin line! I need to get some of that. I always have a problem knowing what to use tracing my designs.

I found it at JoAnn's I dont remember the brand or who made it. Our JoAnn's here had apparently just received them in and was telling me how great they were. Here is a picture. If you havent found them or someone else can not give us a name then next time Im at JoAnn's I will look for them again and get the Brand Name. It seems to me they were in the aisle where all the Singer Sewing gadgets area. Also I have to say by the time I was done quilting and attaching the borders you could barely see the purple chalk on the white material. Once its washed I'm positive it will be clear as a whistle.. but before we whistle I will make sure and wash the quilt...LOL

Name:  chalk accesorry.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  118.1 KB
    Last edited by Jenniky; 08-17-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    Have an awesome day!

Page 39 of 77 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 ... LastLast