Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2013 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2013-fabric-moratorium-t209802.html)

earthwalker 01-14-2013 08:43 PM

I'm in and doing well so far.....I have a disgraceful amount of scraps/unsorted fabric stacked in bags on the floor....Only needles, thread, notions and batting for me. I have found deleting emails from my favourite vintage fabric supplier is helping immensely:)

MaryLane 01-14-2013 09:37 PM

Sigh...I stayed strong but it is difficult. I loved the new Rhapsody in Red from Connecting Threads but resisted. Then my MIL came over this evening to ask me to order it for her to give to her daughter. I discovered it is selling out already! That is probably good. It allows me to resist but it is hard. Red IS my favorite color and I do not have a red quilt.

irishrose 01-14-2013 10:02 PM

Kay, what a lovely way to spend a day and you got just what you needed for your bibs. :thumbup:

Mary, I liked the Rhapsody in Red, too. We can be strong together.

Velawyn 01-15-2013 05:52 PM

I did it!!! I had to go into the fabric store as one of my machine embroidery hoops broke, and I took it in to get repaired. I did NOT buy any fabric! I did not even go look at fabric!!! I walked right by it like it was not there. I was STRONG! A freaking amazing experience!!! (is it December yet)

paulswalia 01-15-2013 06:23 PM

Good for you Velawyn - I'm ever so proud of you! Do you have to go back to pick up the hoop? will you have to be strong again?

kay carlson 01-15-2013 06:29 PM

Irishrose, yes I did have a wonderful time yesterday with my quilting sisters. Just think, before I began quilting....I was an only child!

This morning I was reading a grocery ad special to DH. I ended up saying that the economy pack of bone-in sirloin pork chops was $1.39 a YARD. I was sitting next to DH. He took my hand and laughed with me. This is something that we will laugh about for years..... Yes, he made a fresh pot of coffee!

nhweaver 01-16-2013 07:34 AM

I have been so good for 11 days - then on jan. 11, I heard about the clearance sale at contemporary cloth - omg I fell off the wagon big time. They had such a great selection, 29 yards later, oh well. I will be better, I will be better, I will be better ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

mooshie 01-16-2013 08:44 AM

Um... a question. I would like to join you this year, however, I do not have a whole year's worth of quilting fabric in my stash. I could go on moritorium until I run out of quilting fabric though. I figure I have enough for about 8 quilts, and a few scrap projects that may require small purchases to finish. BUT I have a LOT of apparel fabric! Like 200+ yards! I'm bound to have scraps from these, but some are satin, some are knits, there is just a large variety. I was wondering if it would be worth it to cut the scraps from these fabrics into squares and strips as I finish my clothing items and use them for a scrappy quilt? Or would it be too big of a pain to be worth it? Has anyone here ever done something like that? I could go longer w/o buying any fabric (except for backings) for quilting if I can use my apparel fabrics in quilts as well, but if it won't be worth it then I don't want to waste my time.

PaperPrincess 01-16-2013 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by mooshie (Post 5790280)
Um... a question. I would like to join you this year, however, I do not have a whole year's worth of quilting fabric in my stash. I could go on moritorium until I run out of quilting fabric though. I figure I have enough for about 8 quilts, and a few scrap projects that may require small purchases to finish. BUT I have a LOT of apparel fabric! Like 200+ yards! I'm bound to have scraps from these, but some are satin, some are knits, there is just a large variety. I was wondering if it would be worth it to cut the scraps from these fabrics into squares and strips as I finish my clothing items and use them for a scrappy quilt? Or would it be too big of a pain to be worth it? Has anyone here ever done something like that? I could go longer w/o buying any fabric (except for backings) for quilting if I can use my apparel fabrics in quilts as well, but if it won't be worth it then I don't want to waste my time.

The multi fabric quilt you are describing is a (victorian) crazy quilt. It is pieced from all kinds of fabric, then embellished with stitching, lace, ribbon etc. If you have a machine with decorative stitches you are half way there. Google it for amazing examples!

nhweaver 01-16-2013 11:29 AM

I meant to say the "fabric galore" online. I got the fabric today, beautiful, all I needed to make my quilt for kids quilts this year, and a bit for me. No more fabric buying now, I will be good.

Originally Posted by nhweaver (Post 5790104)
I have been so good for 11 days - then on jan. 11, I heard about the clearance sale at contemporary cloth - omg I fell off the wagon big time. They had such a great selection, 29 yards later, oh well. I will be better, I will be better, I will be better ,,,,,,,,,,,,,