Aaqi challenge for qb members (first annual?)
In honor of the 10,000th little quilt donated to AAQI, and in honor of the upcoming 3rd Anniversary of the QB Doll Quilt Swap, QB members are challenged to create and donate, collectively, 250 little quilts to AAQI. The time period for this Challenge is Jan. 1, 2012 to July 30, 2012, for quilts registered with AAQI during that time period.
AAQI is the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. It was founded in 2006 by Ami Simms, a quilter in Michigan. AAQI is entirely run by volunteers, so its expenses are low. The money raised by AAQI (more than $700,000 to date) funds promising research into the causes and cures of Alzheimer's Disease.
AAQI raises money by accepting donations of Priority: Alzheimer's quilts and selling them -- on its website, through monthly online auctions and at the huge quilt show in Houston each November.
Now that AAQI has reached 10,000 donated little quilts, it's time to spur them on to the next thousand! QB members can do this!
Want to play? Here are the steps:
1. Visit the AAQI website, www. alzquilts.org, to READ the RULES for a Priority: Alzheimer's quilt. You will see that the rules are few but important. The great thing is, that you can create a quilt in any style, any fabric, using any inspiration that comes to you, as long as you keep it within the rules.
2. Make your little quilt -- or maybe more than one! They really are fun!
3. Register your quilt with AAQI on their new, easy Quilt Registration page.
4. Wait patiently for the AAQI volunteer to send you an email with the Registration Number for your quilt and easy mailing instructions.
5. Then, post a picture of your little quilt and its Registration Number in this thread, so we can keep track of how many little quilts we send in.
6. Relax in the glow of having done a very good thing!
I've made 20 little quilts for AAQI so far, since I learned about it from Chele last May, and I'm hooked! That's why I'm posting this Challenge for everyone. (PatriceJ approved this Challenge.)
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS: You can post them in this thread, and I'll do my best to answer them. Or, you can PM me, LeslieFrost.
I have an Album of My Little Quilts for AAQI, which you can look at, or search the tag, Miniature Quilting, and you'll see lots of others. As I find other QB members with Albums of AAQI quilts, I'll add the links to this thread.
Hope you'll join in!