Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Newbies challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/newbies-challenge-t38362.html)

Rodney 11-07-2013 10:25 PM

Quiltbaby, I'm too new to adopt anyone but I can probably help with your pattern issue. The easiest way I know is this:
1) Draw out a full sized 16" block on some stiff paper or thin cardboard like a cereal box.
2) Cut the pieces out.
3) Trace each piece on some more stiff paper.
4) Trace your seam allowance around each of the individual shapes you just drew.
5) Cut those pieces out including your seam allowances.
You now have your patterns for each piece of the block with no math involved.
When your block is pieced together it will come out to 16" plus your seam allowance all the way around.

It might be worthwhile to post a line drawing of the block you want to make here. Others may be able to tell you some easy ways to cut and sew the blocks to save some time.
I hope this helps,
Rodney

Ccorazone 12-23-2013 07:36 AM

I have been quilting for about 5 years and there is still so much I need and want to learn. I have finished two small foundation "paper pieced" tops and I have fallen in love with this method. I have been trying to find a place to buy the foundation paper at a good price and looking around for alternatives. I found a paper writing tablet at Walmart that has very thin paper and thought I would try it. The paper is lined but I can work around that.
I would be a very attentive "adoptee" if someone has the time..

chantillydreams 12-30-2013 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Experienced sewist/newbie quilter in need of adoption :) I am teaching myself to quilt via the Web, and am hooked! Just finished my first quilt top! Any veteran quilters out there from NY, although a long distance relationship is fine too :)?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]454031[/ATTACH]

J_cody 12-30-2013 07:44 PM

I too have only been quilting a short time but feel like I could use all the help I can get So I to am up for adoption

Ms Kay 12-31-2013 08:10 AM

Waterstide I would love you to adopt me. Sometimes I have a pattern and for the life of me I can't understand it.
Same way with cutting fabric and using certain rulers. Could use the help!!!!!

J_cody 12-31-2013 12:28 PM

I am in eed of parenting also, I have some skill but really am a newbie, want to learn anything and everything I am sooooo hooked on sewing. Please someone love me enought to be my new momma.
LOL

J_cody 12-31-2013 12:29 PM

I want to say also that I am new to this posting thing so am slow at it, patience please

bitofajungle 01-03-2014 03:59 PM

I would love to be adopted.

chantillydreams 01-07-2014 05:33 AM

Guess there are more of us in need of being adopted than there are mentors ;)

Rach L. 01-13-2014 02:58 PM

Another newb up for adoption. I have some basic sewing skills, but am just jumping into quilting. If you're up to the challenge, let me know!

Rachael :)