Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Best kind of ice cream? >

Best kind of ice cream?

Best kind of ice cream?

Old 01-02-2016, 06:29 AM

pet brand ice cream is good. blue bell ice cream was on a recall a few months ago i love that ice cream but afraid to eat it now. so its pet ice cream for me
Old 01-02-2016, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

Umpqua is good. Try their salted butterscotch. MMmm... Tillamook is also good.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:21 AM

for a national brand, Breyer's Gelato is SOOOOOOO good. I love the tiramisu flavor. Costs more than ice cream but worth it IMO.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:34 AM

I love Tillamook, which I currently have in my freezer. When you shop, BE SURE TO CHECK THE LABEL! It maybe in the freezer section and packaged like ice cream, but a lot of items are actually "frozen dairy desserts" and not ice cream.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:14 AM

In my opinion the best kind of ice cream is that which does not contain thickeners, stabilizers, or emulsifiers. The two most commonly used are carrageenan (extracted from red edible seaweeds) and guar gum, a fine powder made from guar seeds, which is used as a thickener and a binder. Both are food quality and absolutely safe. They are widely used in the food industry, for their gelling, thickening, and stabilizing properties. Their main application is in dairy and meat products, due to their strong binding to food proteins.

I find these thickening agents change the texture of the ice cream and, in lower priced products, can even have the effect of making the ice cream seem "gummy" in a way.

My favorite ice cream, with none of these extenders/fillers, Blue Bunny Vanilla Bean (other BB vanilla flavors contain fillers). Read the ingredients on this product and you find it contains only milk/cream, sugar and vanilla. Other flavors all contain fillers. The only other produce I am aware of at the grocery stores that doesn't contain fillers is Bryers Vanilla (and only vanilla!). Read the labels for ingredients.

P.S. I find ice cream to be medicinal and take it often as a precaution against getting any bug that may be going around. It is also helpful for indigestion, allergies, hang-nails and Athelets' Foot! HAHAHAH
Old 01-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

I love Dreyer's. Found in any of the major So CA grocery chains.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:32 AM

It's expensive, but I love Hagen Daaz. It has no fillers. If you are in Okla, Tx, Kan, Ark area, Braum's is good and a close match to Blue Bell. I've recently moved to Iowa and this area has a brand called Goodrich which is delicious, too.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
If you have a RiteAide drug store near you, they usually sell Thrifty Ice Cream. Years ago there was a Thrifty Drug Store chain and they sold ice cream cones and a lot of people I know thought it was better than Baskin Robbins. It was certainly not as expensive and my daughters loved it. They had a few flavors we really liked. They also sell it by the quart - but I have not had it for quite a few years now.

My daughters swear by Cold Stone, but it is too rich for me. For me the best Dairy Queen, it is what I grew up on.
We always took mom to the RiteAid is Suisan CA for her ice cream cone. It's gone now.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:34 AM

Blue Bunny - Peanut Butter Panic.....I swear I am the reason it became a fulltime flavor.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:33 PM

Consumers Report said Walmarts butter pecan is the best. I have to agree. They have a hard time keeping it stock