Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Canned pumpkin may be hard to find after Oct. >

Canned pumpkin may be hard to find after Oct.

Canned pumpkin may be hard to find after Oct.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

I had heard about the shortage on the news. There will be enough pumpkins for Halloween but not for Thanksgiving.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I did not look at the link provided...is it just another 'hoax' that the canners/manufacturers are sending our way to get folks to stock up now??? so they can improve their sales levels? Find that to be the case in many other 'not going to be available' situations. Sorry for the jaded opinion...just my experience.
The pumpkin crop was almost wiped out this last year so canned pumpkin and other pumpkin products MAY not be available after Nov.
The report is just an observation for those who need to know every circumstance that may influence manufacturing. If pumpkins do tank for a year, that means for the next two years all pumpkin products will raise in price or be scarce until the pumpkins are fruitful again.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:33 AM

Why do they say this EVERY year??
Old 10-11-2015, 10:50 AM

News reports in central PA showed almost all the crops suffered due weather issues. What we have seen local is much smaller pumpkins than normal. The corn crops were mostly harvested early this year as well & sweet corn was not near as good. Tomatoes did not fair well either. We did not have very many warm summer nights that help many crops grow. Some farmers could not get fields planted on time due to being too wet & ended up being a month behind. As our weather seems to be changing, & not for the better, crops are suffering. Wal-Mart only had 1 can of pumpkin on it's shelves. I did find some at another store. I make pumpkin muffins & pumpkin custard thru out the year. Leaves have fallen off the trees without changing color. First is was too wet, then too dry. We haven't had a frost yet. I also stock up & keep a good 6 months or more of canned goods on my shelves. I also have 2 freezers full of meat/frozen fruits/veggies & berries. We put everything in brown paper bags, which keeps stuff from getting freezer burnt. I try to buy in bulk to save on costs.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:58 AM

Our vet told us to feed canned pumpkin to our long haired cats as it would help 'bind' the fur from grooming themselves and take it out the 'correct' end instead of having hairballs on the carpet! It worked.
Years later, with a new kitty who didn't adjust well to her first home, another vet told us to use canned pumpkin with any changes in wet food. Worked.
As to stocking up, we don't use it all that often. There are a lot of 'alarmists' out there these days.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:43 AM

Pumpkin with out the spices is what is good for dogs with upset tummies, but to get my Yorkie to eat it is impossible. Other Yorkie parents have no problem getting their puppy to eat it. I'm a pumpkin lover, cookies, pie, etc, maybe he would eat it if I doctored the pumpkin up, but that might negate the good effect of just pure pumpkin.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:34 PM

I bought a can of pumpkin at the local Kroger last week and there were only 3 cans on the shelf. Hopefully, they will get more in but that was definitely telling.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:51 PM

I can remember a canned pumpkin "shortage" about 10 or 15 years ago. As I recall, there was plenty to go around. If it comes to that, I will use pie pumpkins (like Tartan says) and be just fine. Done it before when we had a few extra in the garden. Easy to do.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:19 PM

Thanks for info I give my dog pumkin at meals too, she has is and has helped plus her coat is so silky soft!!! Good for humans too high in fiber. Better stock up😊
Old 10-12-2015, 03:07 AM

I started using butternut squash from the garden for pies. Milder than pumpkin but tastes almost the same.