Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Canned pumpkin may be hard to find after Oct. >

Canned pumpkin may be hard to find after Oct.

Canned pumpkin may be hard to find after Oct.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

Default Canned pumpkin may be hard to find after Oct.

DH read this in one of his business reports. The pumpkin crop was almost wiped out this last year so canned pumpkin and other pumpkin products may not be available after Nov. Many grocers won't be able to have it in stock. If you use canned pumpkin or pumpkin products then you may want to stock up until next growing season. I give my dog a spoonful of pumpkin puree everyday. I made sure to stock up for her. LOL I tried cutting and using fresh grown pumpkins. It took me hours to cut, peel, cook, vacuum seal and freeze and made a complete mess in my kitchen.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:09 AM

nice to know this. and may i ask why you give your dog a spoonful of pumpkin puree. just curious. thank you for sharing.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:15 AM

I canned my own pumpkin one year too. Way too watery result. Nothing better than Libbey's! I made Rob a pumpkin (his favorite) pie a few days before he left to Australia. I have one can in the cupboard for Thanksgiving, will leave the hoarding to someone else

Remember when Johnny Carson make a joke about shortage of toilet paper? It took years for my grandparents to use up what they'd cleared the shelves of.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:17 AM

just googled pumpkin puree.. now i know.. i didnt know this was helpful for all kinds of problems dogs have. upset stomach etc.. time to stock up
Old 10-11-2015, 08:05 AM

So....I will eat pecan pie instead.
Sany
Old 10-11-2015, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

No shortage here as we celebrate tomorrow. If you want to do your own pumpkin, get pie pumpkins ( thicker pulp) and baking in the oven rather then boiling as it reduces the moisture. So much easier to buy in the cans!
Old 10-11-2015, 08:09 AM

Thanks for sharing the info. My family loves pumpkin pie and pumpkin roll. I will certainly stock up.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

The new young vet that took over the office of my regular vet seems to know much more about nutrition for pets then the one that just retired. He said a little pumpkin everyday is much better then any bought treat I could give her.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:26 AM

I did not look at the link provided...is it just another 'hoax' that the canners/manufacturers are sending our way to get folks to stock up now??? so they can improve their sales levels? Find that to be the case in many other 'not going to be available' situations. Sorry for the jaded opinion...just my experience.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

Stocking up on items I know I will use on a regular basis is not hoarding to me. When I find a great sale on non perishable items or ones with a long shelf life I buy enough to last for six months. I have a large walk in pantry so storage is not a problem. I don't have to buy that item again until the supply get low. After a few years of buying this way, all I have to buy each week is fresh foods and dairy and any item to restock that needs it. I learned how to shop this way from a Mennonite neighbor when I was a newlywed. She kept a year's supply of non perishables all the time.

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-11-2015 at 08:45 AM.