Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
cheese? >

cheese?

cheese?

Old 05-08-2016, 10:22 AM

Go to happybellyfoodie.com Connie has great one for mozzarella.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:35 AM

also go to cheesemaking.com they have tons of supply and cheese making info. its the new England cheese making supply co. Really interesting.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

I've made my own cream cheese before. It's not hard just takes a lot of room and time.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:20 AM

Gerrycnx, I believe that mozzarella is the easiest because it is the one 4-H members start out with. I've been in a group several times when it was made and it was fast, even when it was flavored with herbs. Each participant was given a rennet tablet at the end of class. I love cheese, just not fond of that particular one. I was going to suggest you contact your County Agent, then saw where you live. I googled and found many tutorials in text and on video with "4-H making mozzarella cheese" . I would not attempt any aged cheese.

When and where I grew up, not everyone had refrigeration. There was always a jug of milk clabbering on the back of the kitchen counter. I was never a big fan of buttermilk, but loved Mama's homemade cottage cheese. When we lived in Maryland, I had access to raw milk and sometimes made cottage cheese, never have liked the sharp, acidic taste of the store bought stuff.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:41 PM

I must say I never even thought of " making cheese". Both sets of my grandparents are from Poland and my husbands mom and dad were from Sicily...very rural...and none ever made their own cheese...yes to breads, pasta, sausage, pizza, canning...and I have dabbled in all of that. I love most cheeses, but I really think if I "made" it, I may lose my taste for it. I get rid of milk even before the due date...don't like the smell of milk in a plastic bottle...buy only dairy fresh glass bottled....but for those who are doing or will try...have fun.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:22 AM

I used to make the method using just goat's milk and vinegar. My son wouldn't drink the goat's milk unless I put some flavor in it so I would make this and add crushed pineapple to the mixture and he ate it quickly.

I miss having my goat's. They truly make great pets, inexpensive to keep and great fun to watch and provide a healthier milk then chows, IMHO.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
I used to make the method using just goat's milk and vinegar. My son wouldn't drink the goat's milk unless I put some flavor in it so I would make this and add crushed pineapple to the mixture and he ate it quickly.

I miss having my goat's. They truly make great pets, inexpensive to keep and great fun to watch and provide a healthier milk then chows, IMHO.
My children had a pet goat when they were youngsters. She would wander through the house, in the backdoor and out the front with no accidents! I did catch her eating my Thanksgiving Day centerpiece I was working. She ate the miniature pumpkins and the dried corn...lol
She didn't like the dogs on the porch, so she head butted them off of it. When she wasn't looking they got back up on the porch and went to sleep.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:08 PM

Good Luck to you, hope it comes out delicious and it probably will, if not the first time the second.