Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
chocolate cake recipe >

chocolate cake recipe

chocolate cake recipe

Old 07-17-2010, 06:40 AM

Okay, here is the thing. I have gotten on this kick of wanting to make cakes from scratch again. I use to do this when I was growing up. I did make a carrot cake last week that turned out great. However, I am wanting to make a moist very chocolate cake. I tried the Hershey chocolate cake recipe. This was a mess. It boiled out all over my oven. I followed the recipe to the tee. I made no changes to the recipe at all. Nothing was wrong with my ingredients.
What I need is a no fail recipe for a moist very chocolate cake.
I want to make this in layers and not a sheet cake. Can anyone please please help me.
Thanks so much,
Charlene
Old 07-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Pam

Sounds good, looking for company? I do not bake, my butt is wide enough. I have to stand next to Rowdy to look thin.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:58 AM

This is a recipe for a cake that was made in the schools I attended. It's always a sure-fire hit. You can make it in layers...it'll make THICK layers. Also, the real key for moist with this one is to put a thin layer of frosting over the cake just after it's out of the oven.....the make it pretty when you put it together.

School Cake

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
6 Tbsp cocoa
1 tsp salt
2 tsp soda
2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 Cup salad oil
2 cups water

Mix all ingredients and bake at 350 degrees till done (cake is done when it starts to pull from sides of pan)

Remove from oven and spread thin layer of buttercream icing over cake. Let cake cool and re-ice.
Add milk and you’re a happy person!!!

Buttercream frosting

Beat together about 4 TBSP margarine or butter (not the diet stuff, either) and just a tad bit of milk and 1 tsp vanilla
Add about 4 TBSP HEAPING of Hershey's cocoa
Start beating and adding in powdered sugar until you have a nice spreadable frosting.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:11 AM

RICH CHOCOLATE CAKE

2 C. FLOUR
2 C. SUGAR
1/2 C. COCOA
1 TSP. SODA
1/2 TSP. SALT
1 C. OIL
1 C. BUTTERMILK
1 C. BOILING WATER
1 TSP. VANILLA
2 EGGS
MIX ALL WELL EXCEPT WATER AND VANILLA. THEN ADD THEM AND MIX. POUR IN 9X13 PAN. BAKE AT 350 30MIN. UNTIL DONE.

FROSTING..
3 C. POWDER SUGAR
1/2 STICK OLEO
1- 6 OZ. PKG. SEMI- CHOCOLATE CHIPS
1/2 C. KARO, LIGHT
1/2 C. MILK
1 TSP. VANILLA
BRING SUGAR, OLEO, KARO AND MILK TO A BOIL FOR 2 MIN. REMOVE FROM HEAT AND ADD CHIPS AND VANILLA..STIR AND POUR OVER WARM CAKE. (MAY ADD 1/2-3/4 CUP CHOPPED PECANS)
Old 07-17-2010, 07:36 AM

southernliving.com find Chocolate Velvet cake recipe
Old 07-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Yummm..youre making me hungry!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

Here is a good trick to make ANY cake recipe moist, even box mix. Pour some Godiva chocolate flavore liquor over the cake as it is cooling. The cake soaks it up like a sponge and is oh so moist. Works with Kahlua, rum, and I bet it would work with Baileys irish creme but havent tried it. Works with any cake flavor too. I make cheater tiramisu with boxed yellow cake mix and pour rum all over the cakes. It is moist and delicious every time. For non alcoholic, a bit of cooled strong coffee is also very good. I pour about a half a shot to a shot on a 8 or 9" layer.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

When we were little my grandmother made the only chocolate cake I would eat. It was made in a large cookie sheet and I would love to find that recipe again. It tasted more like brownies than actual chocolate cake that is why I liked it. All other chocolate cake can go in the trash at my house since I now live alone.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

I finely dice a peeled apple and add it to chocolate cake batter...it makes any cake more moist. The apple pieces completley disappear as the cake bakes. :D:D:D

Also, do the toothpick test often... a couple of minutes can mean the difference between done and dried out :wink:
Old 07-17-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
When we were little my grandmother made the only chocolate cake I would eat. It was made in a large cookie sheet and I would love to find that recipe again. It tasted more like brownies than actual chocolate cake that is why I liked it. All other chocolate cake can go in the trash at my house since I now live alone.
I think the recipe smtp5 posted above is the one you may be talking about....it DOES taste like brownies and is made in a cookie sheet. It originally was called Texas Cookie Sheet cake