Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you remember this Spice Cake?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    http://www.food.com/recipe/a-p-spanish-bar-cake-423972

Check this one out. It says it's from the Pittsburg Tribune. If so, it may be close to what you are looking for.
    That even says A&P Spice Bar Cake....I am going to make that tomorrow!

Yes, they were called Skyscrapers and they were only a dime, that was a lot of ice cream, the scoop was shaped like a trowel instead of round. Klondikes were also from Isaly's. That was some good creamy ice cream. Sorry for diverging from Spanish Bar Cake.
    Last edited by quiltingcurious; 12-21-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcurious View Post
    Yes, they were called Skyscrapers and they were only a dime, that was a lot of ice cream, the scoop was shaped like a trowel instead of round. Klondikes were also from Isaly's. That was some good creamy ice cream. Sorry for diverging from Spanish Bar Cake.
    Did you grow up in PA? Not sure where all Islaly's was located.

Yes, McKeesport, PA, 30 miles from Pittsburgh, our Isaly's was in White Oak across the Blvd from McKeesport.
    I lived in CA for 10 years, San Diego, then El Cajon, CA. I've been to Ocean City.

A&P Markets - had forgotten about them. There was one in Westwood, Calif. just down from my dad's business and I remember it was big enough for just about anything you needed - but small enough to care and be a "local" neighborhood-style market atmosphere. Aren't memories fun? My hubby and I both like just about any style of spice cake. :-)

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

Our local grocery store, Acme, still makes the spanish bar cake, yum. I remember my parents buying it at the local A&P. Does anyone remember the vanilla flavoring that A&P sold? Mom swore by the stuff with her baking.

maT
    my Dad was a store manager for the A&P and i LOVE spanish bar cake as well as a pineapple kuchen that was also made under the Jane Parker label ....lots of good memories

It was called a Spanish ar Cake. My Mom has a recipe that is really close. ALSO, there is a grocery store that still sells something almost exactly like it. Shop and Save is the grocery store.

I remember that cake. It had little ridges in the frosting. Spice cake is still one of my favorites, but I use a 7 minute type frosting made with brown sugar. Yum!

I remember these Spanish Bar Cakes from when I was a kid. A&P sold them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Yes I do and so do a lot of people on QB. Look under the title .....Looking for Spanish Bar Cake and you will find several recipes that are similar.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast