Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you remember this Spice Cake?

Do you remember this Spice Cake?

When I was little (in PA/Ohio 1950/60's) we used to get a spice cake (not sure it was called that) from the grocery store that was a dense spice cake with cream cheese icing on it? The shape was about 3x8" on cardboard...probably came form the bakery section. Does anyone remember this?

I would like to find a recipe that is like that...so if you know what a I want and have a recipe...can you share it please?

Power Poster
    Yes I do and so do a lot of people on QB. Look under the title .....Looking for Spanish Bar Cake and you will find several recipes that are similar.

Our wedding cake was a Spice cake ..that was over 36 yrs. ago.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

Blog Entries
    I grew up in Chicago in the 50's/60's, and loved that cake! It was made by the Dolly Madison Baking Co. and was called spicecake.
    Sue

I remember it well, it was sold at the local A & P and it was called Spanish Loaf, it was very good. Probably you would find more cake versions with Spanish Bar Cake and I'd Google A & P's Spanish Loaf first, then Bar Cake. There is also a copycat recipe site you may find it under.

I'm drooling just thinking about the Spanish Bar cake we used to buy from the A & P Store in the 1950's. Now, I must leave and hunt up the recipe per your suggestions... Thanks :-)

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    http://www.food.com/recipe/a-p-spanish-bar-cake-423972

Check this one out. It says it's from the Pittsburg Tribune. If so, it may be close to what you are looking for.

While we are strolling down Memory Lane, any of you ice cream makers come up with a copycat version of Isaly's Maricopa Ice Cream? It had a beige color from either a swirl of Caramel or Butterscotch and had a salty-sweet flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcurious View Post
    While we are strolling down Memory Lane, any of you ice cream makers come up with a copycat version of Isaly's Maricopa Ice Cream? It had a beige color from either a swirl of Caramel or Butterscotch and had a salty-sweet flavor.
    I remember Isalys too! Loved that their ice cream was tall ans skinny! I always had rainbow sherbet...so I don't recall the one you want. That is another good memory for me!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast