Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Don't use the wrong oranges for marmalade! >

Don't use the wrong oranges for marmalade!

Don't use the wrong oranges for marmalade!

Old 01-06-2012, 06:53 AM

Those Texas Ruby Reds are wonderful and in season now. Love them!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Muv

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
Those Texas Ruby Reds are wonderful and in season now. Love them!
I've got it cracked with the ruby reds - that will be the next marmalade to go up on Youtube. Also the white grapefruit marmalade I made last night tastes really nice, so that will go up also.

Scakes - I've used clementines before now in a mixed fruit marmalade.

Imdelagarza62 - oh gosh, have you hit the jackpot? If they have a short season (that is, now) and are packed with pips, try cooking one. If the pith turns colourless after a long slow simmer the odds are that you have a Seville orange. It could be that the trees are descended from old root stock, and the Spaniards were in Texas... If you have Seville oranges growing near you I am green and writhing with envy!
Old 01-07-2012, 04:07 PM

Here in Florida we have a very sour orange called calamunda (sp not sure of) but makes wonderful marmalade. You deseed the fruit and chop the whole thing up for the marmalade, no waste. I even chop it finer in a blender and make a cake with the pulp and a glaze, it's yummy. LuAnn
Old 01-08-2012, 06:36 AM

We lived in Phoenix, AZ for 22 years and the city is full of orange trees planted in public areas. These are the Seville oranges that are used in making marmalade. They have to be picked up by the maintenance workers because they are not fit to eat fresh. I often wondered why they wouldn't have planted juice or navel oranges instead as people would have been glad to have them. I always had a great supply source for making marmalade and often used the zest from these oranges in my baking.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:25 PM

Do you have your grapefruit marmalade recipe up anywhere? I don't like grapefruit, but this might be a way of getting to eat it.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:30 PM

Default Don't use the wrong oranges for marmalade!

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Hello Murphy1,
I knew I would get interesting replies from California or Florida.
I've never eaten kumquats. They are sold in tiny little punnets here and are outrageously expensive. I've just looked them up on wikipedia and am intrigued. Do you get the round ones or the oval ones, and are they sweet skinned with a sour middle?
I am wondering if the round ones that you are referring to are Loquats. Kumquats look like small oval oranges. Loquats are more tear drop like, very heavy and round on the bottom. They have about 5 - 6 large seeds. They are sweet, not sugary so, tho. I don't know if they would make good marmalade or not but they don't seem like the type of fruit.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Power Poster

Interesting discussion and couldn't help but chip in (I only ever eat homemade jams and generally only marmalades). Luannh, you might mean "Calamondin" it looks like a citrus (but I believe it is really another genus). Calamondins are terribly bitter (not like Cumquats at all even with the skin on). I am a keen fruit grower, mainly citrus and make marmalades out of all of them.

We have Calamondin, Clementine, Mandarin, Lemon, Lime, Nagami Cumquat (those are the beautiful oval ones) and a very old Valencia Orange. Valencia's may be a suitable substitute for Seville, they dont have quite as many pips but are very high in pectin and when overipe make beautiful (but tart) orange juice. I never add pectin to any of my fruits and so far have met with good success.

Love your Youtube vids Muv.....Mum and I have almost lost our "English voices"....Gosh if I went back to Devon they'd call me a foreigner
Old 02-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Power Poster

Interesting discussion and couldn't help but chip in (I only ever eat homemade jams and generally only marmalades). Luannh, you might mean "Calamondin" it looks like a citrus (but I believe it is really another genus). Calamondins are terribly bitter (not like Cumquats at all even with the skin on). I am a keen fruit grower, mainly citrus and make marmalades out of all of them.

We have Calamondin, Clementine, Mandarin, Lemon, Lime, Nagami Cumquat (those are the beautiful oval ones) and a very old Valencia Orange. Valencia's may be a suitable substitute for Seville, they dont have quite as many pips but are very high in pectin and when overipe make beautiful (but tart) orange juice. I never add pectin to any of my fruits and so far have met with good success.

Love your Youtube vids Muv.....Mum and I have almost lost our "English voices"....Gosh if I went back to Devon they'd call me a foreigner
Old 02-02-2012, 02:14 AM
Muv

Hello Earthwalker,

I would have a field day at your place with all the fruit! Truly a transplanted Devonian.

No, I never add pectin either. In fact, I've never seen it on sale.

At the moment I am stuffing the freezer with the Sevilles before they go out of season. Also I am lurking around the shops waiting for the first blood oranges to appear.

It has been fascinating finding out who can get what fruit where. I've finally got the grapefruit video done so I'm hoping to hear from people when they have tried it.