Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • FDA site for toxins in beans and other bad things >
  • FDA site for toxins in beans and other bad things

• FDA site for toxins in beans and other bad things

Old 07-20-2014, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by lclang
    Do not eat beans that are not thoroughly cooked, (SOFT throughout). Pasta can be al dente, but not beans! You can can beans of all kinds. Put a cup and a half of any dry beans in a quart jar, fill with water to the neck, add a teaspoon of salt and process in a pressure canner at 10 lbs for 90 minutes. Then you can have cooked beans whenever you want them, no soaking or waiting..
    What type of beans do you use, I prefer the Great Northern but have canned a mixed batch once.
    Old 07-20-2014, 05:46 AM

I have been eating beans for the better part of 82 yrs. now and never met a bean I did not like. I will never starve to death as long as I have some dried beans in my pantry and on top of my cupboards.
    Old 07-20-2014, 07:07 AM

Have been cooking beans in crockpot for many years and have never had a problem. Seems like someone is always coming up with something being bad for you and then a while down the line, oops made mistake.
    Old 07-20-2014, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by M.Elizabeth
    So would I!
    So would I. I really get tired of seeing all these scare/warnings about food or any other product. Anything about meat is from vegans who want to scare all of us from eating meat and the list goes on and on. Like the reporter asking Joan Rivers about the furs she was wearing and Joan was on top of this and asked reporter if she was wearing leather shoes. The reporter had nothing to say about that. One minute what we eat or drink is fine and the next everything is wrong about them. Do everything in moderation and continue to live your life as you always have.
    Old 07-20-2014, 06:20 PM

Beans never killed anyone! There is a difference between a bean that has a toxin when raw, and a bean that has none when cooked! There is also some type of illness that you can get from eating too many fava beans..it's called favism..but you need to have a genetic issue with them and it's rare. We need to worry about the real dangers..like the pesticides, herbicides and antibiotics in out food...now that's scary!
    Old 07-21-2014, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350
    Beans never killed anyone! There is a difference between a bean that has a toxin when raw, and a bean that has none when cooked! There is also some type of illness that you can get from eating too many fava beans..it's called favism..but you need to have a genetic issue with them and it's rare. We need to worry about the real dangers..like the pesticides, herbicides and antibiotics in out food...now that's scary!
    Same beans!! No one is saying all beans are toxic, just that SOME beans need to be cooked at a certain temperature. It's basic good sense to practice food safety when cooking, all the people who grew up on beans, they were probably all cooked properly. Maybe some people ate pink (undercooked) pork and did not get sick, that does not mean it is a good idea.

I used to love to eat raw cookie dough and lick the bowl of cake batter when I was little. Then I read how flour is one of the foods that is not sterilized in anyway, and hearing about the huge grain elevators full of wheat that have mice running over the grains. I have not been able to eat anything containing raw flour since. The "ick" factor.
    Old 07-21-2014, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl
    I'm not sure I would trust hardly anything the FDA has to say.
    My eldest DD is a chemist working for the FDA for the past 25 years, so I find your remark somewhat offensive, as well as unnecessary. And ditto to Dodie.
    Old 07-21-2014, 07:16 AM

Weezie: I am sure your daughter is a very qualified chemist, but the FDA has been known in the past to put out some very erroneous information. I am sure it is from people higher up in the organization, so I don't think you should take offense at Dodie's and Mike\'sgirl. Even though she may do her job extremely well and be very knowledgeable, what the "bigwigs" say and do is another whole different matter.
    Old 07-21-2014, 07:21 AM
    Suz

We live in a rural area. On one of the walking paths, the land was sprayed to kill the weeds and they dropped the corn seed right on the ground. Did any of the spray get into the corn? Why take a chance?

I love corn and was raised on it. My husband and I allow ourselves 2 ears a season. Why? I understand that Monsanto has a monopoly on corn seed and actually sued a farmer for saving seed from last years crop. The Monsanto seed is GMOd. How can we tell if any of our food is GMOd? The labels are certainly not telling us.
    Old 07-21-2014, 08:14 AM

I am sure that the biological information on the toxins is not changing, but I think that the recommendations do change. Remember the old 'food pyramid'? Remember how we all were supposed to eat lots of milk products and lots of meat?

Public health research influences public policy, but so do lobbyists from the major food manufacturers - Kraft, General Mills, etc etc - who want to make sure that they aren't facing a declining market size for their products. If you were made to be afraid to soak your own beans back in the 70's maybe you would by more B&M or Heinz or whatever canned product you saw on TV.

Just sayin'!