Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pots and pans that do not leach toxins in food?

Pots and pans that do not leach toxins in food?

I saw a demonstration by saladmaster pots and pans that said all others except surgical grade titanium leach toxins into the food.
    Are saladmaster pots and pans that much healthier. He was saying how many vitamins and minerals are really destroyed by cooking and microwaving and that normally 80% are destroyed. I know that some nutrients are destroyed by heating, but Im not sure I believe this because he is a salesman.
    Just wondering if anyone knew anything about healthier cookware because the only recourse I can find at the moment is on
    healthy pots and pans

A lot of vitamins and minerals are lost in cooking because of the method of cooking, not sure about the pots. I steam my veg, which is better for keeping the vitamins and minerals in. The healthiest way is to eat them raw.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    My mum and sisters cooked for 100 years in aluminium and baked enamel pots and pans, and everyone remained as healthy as a mallee bull till old age. It's depressing how far companies are going to wring every dollar/pound they can from us. Same can be said about what we should eat. Fresh is best (grow your own) & cook with steam.

What kind of toxins have we all been dying from now? I must have a cast iron stomach because I have not felt it yet

It's all a sales pitch.

Some pans it may be GOOD that they leach...like a cast iron pan. Besides, the amounts are so tiny as to make no difference anyway.
    Watson

It is hard to believe everything he says is the truth. Veggies are better eaten raw.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

"Toxin" is the new buzz word to scare us all into buying (fill-in-the-blank). You heard a major sales pitch, is all.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The company you noted is 'selling', like all ads on tv they make everything else look/sound bad.

I did a Google search and found this site with an honest opinion on what she likes.
    http://wellnessmama.com/5148/safest-cookware-options/
    I use stainless steel and cast iron on cook top.
    I have glass/corning ware/Corelle/stainless steel for baking.
    Jan

I would ignore them. We have some Saladmaster pots from my MIL, I highly doubt the difference in mineral loss and leaching. Sounds like an unprovable claim to me.

Another snake oil salesman.....

I use stainless steel outer three ply core pots and cast iron skillets. I love Le Creuset, last for generations. I use non stick skillet or pot when needed. I haven't had to buy new cookware except for the non stick in years. Non stick doesn't last and shouldn't be used if any scratches are in it. Saladmaster is good cookware but I would never buy a set. Most pieces are never used. Buy a few pans that you will use.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Well, I did buy salad master and I do like them. About the health benefits? Who knows. BUT, I did check on some of the non-stick stuff and they do put a warning sticker on some of them. Tiny print saying 'do not heat over low medium heat if you have a bird in the same room'. Really? Not safe for the bird but it's ok for me to eat food cooked in it? Non-stick HAS to tell you what the coating is, and you can look that up. They are allowed to put X amount of bad chemicals/leaching in our cookware & dishes.

Blog Entries
    We've heard for years not to cook in aluminum, so this company is just building on that fear. We shouldn't be eating food from a grill, either, because supposedly that crreates carcinogens. I do use only glass in the microwave...and I cook with stainless steel pots. Mostly I eat out, and who knows what all that can cause? (Besides fat rolls around the middle! )
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I use stainless steel and iron pans. I do have one aluminum oven tray that I shouldn't use but it still is in rotation occasionally for brownies.
    Anna Quilts

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have old pots and pans and new ones. I use what works for me. when it comes to my veggies, though I prefer steam for cooking with a meal, fresh on a salad and also baked veggies like sweet potatoes, egg plant, etc. I love to steam crisp veggies the throw them on a salad. I rarely buy canned veggies. I may have a can of baked beans in the pantry. Love to combine fruits and veggies in a salad. OOps guess I hijacked a post. Love tosqueeze lemon and olive oil for veggie dip.

I use some teflon coated, copper, stainless steel and cast iron. The food we eat, the way it's grown and processed will probably kill us before the way we cook it. Grill or whatever type of pan, none of them are that great health wise. I think all the junk in the air from pollution, and the sizing on our clothing and fabrics in the store is worse for us to breathe in than the stuff from our pots and pans.

Remember the amber colored Vision Ware glass pots and pans that came out about 30 years ago? Still using them and won't give them up! My brother looks out for them at thrift stores and replenishes on the occasion dear hubby manages to break the handle off one. I do have one Calphalon stainless steel frying pan that my sister gave me a couple of years ago and I do like to use it when frying because it cleans easily. I agree that everything is a sales pitch these days and every single thing is going to kill us!

Blog Entries
    Back in 1990 a friend was having a "Pot Party" my than husband
    (which we were newly married just a couple weeks) decided that
    we "needed" these new pots and pans.

So for 5 years we paid on these $1800 (before ANY interest charges
    and such). 25+ years later and I am still using them and they still look
    almost as good as the day I got them.

The brand name is Regal Ware Cordon Bleu "Waterless" cookware.

NEVER will I ever buy into the "hype" of what is good or bad when
    it comes to cookware again.

THIS is just my feelings and personal opinions.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaiken View Post
    Remember the amber colored Vision Ware glass pots and pans that came out about 30 years ago? Still using them and won't give them up! !
    I still have a couple of pieces of those. I love the big dutch oven one. I wonder why they were discontinued?
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I still have a couple of pieces of those. I love the big dutch oven one. I wonder why they were discontinued?
    (While it was heavily rumored that the products fracture or explode under high heat, numerous tests under intense scrutiny could not duplicate any such results. The amber and cranberry colored ceramic-glass cookware is available online from a variety of stores.)

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Saladmaster stainless cookware is "almost" waterless cooking, that's what makes them able to claim they keep more nutrients. I love my Saladmaster cookware bought nearly 25 years ago and still going strong. When necessary, I buff the insides of the pots with Barkeepers Friend (in a canister like Comet), and it shines right up.
    Saladmaster, one small Revereware non-copper bottom saucepan, and my ever faithful Lodge Iron skillet and griddle are the only pots and pans in my arsenal. I do use ass little water as possible when cooking veggies.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I'll stick with my OLD cast iron pans. I've been using them for 60+ years. I take care of them and I wouldn't take anything for the wonderful way they cook. My grandmother had and used the skillets and Dutch oven before I was even on the planet. I plan to enjoy them for all my lifetime and my DD and 2 GD's are waiting in line.

A few years ago I ended up experiencing some thyroid difficulties and had to have my thyroid gland radiated. (I swallowed a radioactive tablet and stayed away from all family members and people in general for 48 hours.) UGH!
    I had never had a problem previously, but due to DH's allergies I make all meals from scratch. In other words I do a lot of cooking and was using silverstone coated pans. I am a RN and did lots of research as to why I had a problem. In my opinion it was the coating on the pans.
    As a result I threw out all of my coated pots and pans, teflon or whatever the latest coating is now. I ended up buying ALL CLAD (expensive) stainless steel pots and pans and LOVE THEM! I waited for a sale at the local department store and used coupons and opened a charge card to get the best deal that I could find. (Paid off the charge the next day).
    Bought our son the same set but $200 cheaper on e-bay a year later. (DUH!)
    The research stated that the coatings can cause a whole list of health issues. I would recommend ALL CLAD---well worth the cost.....after all these pans will last beyond my lifetime.

Blog Entries
    Lots of info in this thread. I also use pots & pans from the old days. Mom had several copper bottom Revere ware pans bought in the 40's. 3 of them are used here on a daily basis.My dutch oven set is a stainless steel store brand that I have had for yrs & yrs. Only use the smaller one these days.A small cast iron skillet for eggs along with a no brand bigger skillet rounds out what I use.
    Pat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast