Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Pots and Pans

Pots and Pans

I have some copper-bottomed Revereware pots and pans that I bought in the early 1990s. Wow, it really shocked me when I realized they're over 20 years old - how time flies!

I really hate to replace them, because they're in fine shape, but it looks like the insides have worn down to the copper. They still cook just fine, but I'm worried about the copper leaching into the food and into me. High copper levels in the blood can cause health problems, and I don't need more of those!

Any recommends? The company that makes Revereware is gone, and I'm not willing to buy refurbished or replicas via the web. Definitely NO non-stick and NO aluminum cookware for me. I'd like to stay with stainless steel, copper-bottomed pots but would consider all-stainless. I've been shopping around and haven't liked anything I've seen. The ones I'm seeing all have odd, clunky, uncomfortable handles.

I bought a saucepan at Wegman's (upscale East Coast supermarket chain with a full section of kitchen supplies) to try it out. I like the pot well enough, except that the handle is so long and heavy, the pot tips over. Talk about hazardous!

I've been to Macy's, Bed Bath & Beyond, JC Penney, Target and Wal-mart. I guess I'm hoping there's a lesser-known brand out there, or I may end up at the dollar store getting nameless Third World pots.
    Last edited by Lisanne; 12-28-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    Yet another Lisa.

Cuisinart puts out a nice copper/stainless steel, pot/pan. I've had mine 12 years and nothing has worn through yet. They are heavily used everyday.

Stay away from those nameless, third-world pots. They may be made with nameless third-world metals.
    Flea markets and thrift stores may be a better source for good, old-time pots and pans.

I recieved Reverware cook wear for Wedding gifts over 42 years ago still use them no inside were so far and I use them for every meal. Have no Idea what I'd replace them with.

I love Le Creuset cast iron enamel. Pricey but so worth it. Some of their pots are not cast iron and they are great too. Good luck.
    Linda

I only have the big pot and I love it! I'm not sure at this age my wrists can handle a whole set.

Mine are still going strong! I would look at Calphalon. I don't bother looking into celebrity brands like Emeril or Paula Deen. Gimme Farberware, revereware or Calphalon.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I take this recommendation back. I see they don't make them anymore.

Wow, I have Revereware from 1950 and no sign of the steel wearing out, although the copper is worn so that the insignia disappeared. I guess they made it much more cheaply in the 1990's. I am kind of shocked.

I would haunt thrift shops in search of vintage revereware or Farberware.

ETA - if that was my pots I would be writing the company. Can't hurt. I think they are still in business, maybe merged with Corningware?

Blog Entries
    just make sure what ever brand you buy isn't made in China. and that it will be safe to use on your cook top.

Family members have really liked Emerilware from Home shopping Network. They don't seem so heavy that they will bust your wrist, but they do seem heavyweight. With the exception of 1 frypan, all my stuff was either Wearever from the 1930s or is cast iron. One of these days, I might actually get a matching set, but I also am not a big fan of non-stick except for very limited purposes.
    Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 12-28-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    Le Creuset and All- Clad for me. I bought my first Le Creuset skillet for the same price of whole sets of other cookware back in the 70's when I was first married. DH thought I was foolish to buy one skillet when I could buy a whole set. I cooked everything in that skillet even baked in it. I'm still using the skillet. I started buying individual pieces of LeCreuset and All-Clad to fit my my cooking needs. I haven't needed a new pot or pan since.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 12-28-2011 at 05:41 PM.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I traded in my Revere wear for Circulon and love my new pots. Got them on Overstock reasonable.
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Have some from early 60's and they're still going strong. Are you sure you are seeing copper or just stained insides, as there is no copper in there? It would mean you are all the way through the bottom of the pot. I found some at a flea market 2 yrs. ago....Lucky Me!!!!

My DIL loves the name brands. Just got Rachel Ray and last year got Paula Deen. She has, I know for sure, 5 sets of pots and pans and swears by them all. And yes, she cooks constantly.

Go on line and look up Revere Ware. There is a link. Revere ware is guaranteed for 25 years. Yes, they will replace
    a worn pot. I had a frying pan replaced by Revere last year. They were nice and helpful with the replacement.
    I have several pots that were my parents purchased in the 50's. I still use them.
    I would not buy those cheap pots, not sure of what they are of.

The company that makes Revereware is gone?? How disappointing. I've had mine for 25 years, use them exclusively, and fortunately they're still in great shape. Can't imagine how the pan is wearing throught to the copper, thought the handles would wear first.

Blog Entries
    I have a set of Cordon Bleu cookware that I got from my
    second husband in 1990. At the time this cookware cost
    $1800.
    They are pretty heavy, but I love them. Although I do not
    think the company is in business anymore.

They are basically known as "waterless" cookware.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Quote Originally Posted by sewgull View Post
    Go on line and look up Revere Ware. There is a link. Revere ware is guaranteed for 25 years. Yes, they will replace a worn pot. I had a frying pan replaced by Revere last year. They were nice and helpful with the replacement.
    I did go online, and the links are for something called World Kitchen, which says:
    "The Revere® cookware brand is now owned by World Kitchen, LLC. World Kitchen, LLC and its affiliates manufacture and market bakeware, dinnerware, kitchen and household tools, rangetop cookware and cutlery products sold under well-known and trusted brands including CorningWare®, Pyrex®, Corelle®, Revere®, EKCO®, Baker’s Secret®, Magnalite®, Chicago Cutlery®, and OLFA®."

The thing is, I want to be sure these are made in the US. I read somewhere that they no longer are, and the quality has changed, too. I'll call their toll-free number in the morning.

By the way, someone was surprised mine had worn down. Mine were a grocery store special promotion, like $5 for each pot and pan. So maybe they were a lower quality, but they've been great all these years. Yes, it definitely looks like copper in the rounded corners where the inside bottom of the pan and pot meets the sides. (My smaller pot is fine.)
    Yet another Lisa.

I agree with others- Stay away from anything made in China, you never know what you will get now days, I would hate for you to get anything with lead in it .........

I loveeeeeeeeeee to cook, I have a huge selection of Lodge cast iron that I use for frying and baking and is what I use 95% of the time , A set of Emeril ware that is good for saute and sauces etc....' easy to clean with bartenders keeper to keep them looking new, good balance not too heavy. I have a awesome set of Swiss cookware that I have not opened yet that I got last year for Christmas but I don't have room for, but I do have a small fry pan that I use a lot, this is a non stick but a lifetime warranty and they claim the non stick will never scratch etc....... .
    Lisa

If you have exposed copper on the interior of the pans, be careful as copper reacts with some foods and the reaction is not good.

I have some Kirkland Signature from about 10 years ago that was made by All Clad and I love them. I know of some cast iron pans made in the US ( I saw them on ABC News last week -- they come pre-seasoned), but I don't know of any other pans made here.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I am still using RevereWare I got in 1973, the older ones are marked on the bottom "Clinton, Ill. U.S.A. I have picked up alot thrifting and at sales very reasonable. I think the older ones were made better. I love these pans too, don't like to cook with nonstick.
    Last edited by bucky383; 12-28-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky383 View Post
    I am still using RevereWare I got in 1973, the older ones are marked on the bottom "Clinton, Ill. U.S.A. I have picked up alot thrifting and at sales very reasonable. I think the older ones were made better. I love these pans too, don't like to cook with nonstick.
    I just looked. Mine are also marked "Clinton, Ill. USA" except for the 3 qt. saucepan for some reason. That one is marked China, but I got it when I got the others and it has been as good as the others. So I don't know, but I will ask tomorrow if the ones from World Kitchen are still made in Clinton, IL.

Some of you have suggested cast iron cookware. I had a cast iron pan once, but I couldn't get my mind around the concept of seasoning the pan (even if they pre-season it for you) and then you're not supposed to scrub it clean? I can't deal with that.

Loved your $1800 cookware set story, Quilty Louise. That IS more than I'm willing to pay.
    Yet another Lisa.

Cast iron is GREAT - once you get it seasoned, and you can wash it as much as you want - just don't let it soak. Be sure to season it right, I tried to shortcut once by putting a lot of oil on at once - not good.

Just add a thin layer of oil and bake it in the oven until it is baked on. Then use oil or fat each time you cook and it will build up. I have one pan at home that is as smooth as non-stick, it has such a good seasoning on it.

I bought a set of Seal O Matic before I got married 50 years ago last April. It is still as good as it was the day I got it. I have gotten some new handles. They used to be guaranteed for life and were replaced free, but now I have to pay for them. Two of the pans had to be replaced, and they aren't nearly as good as the original ones were. My husband was flabbergasted the the pots and pans cost more than our first refrigerator, but we're on our 4th refrig. and on our first set of pots and pans.
    Alice the quilter

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast