Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Gave in and bought an instapot >

Gave in and bought an instapot

Gave in and bought an instapot

Old 04-09-2017, 07:13 AM

Go slow buying add on products till you find out what you need.Check your own pots .& pans to find a lid that fits for using the slo cooker mode.Try baking in a small Pyrex pan to see if you like baked texture.Pans for cheesecakes are expensive. You might have small Pyrex bowls that will work. If you have recipes for a regular pressure cooker,most will work in the Instant Pot.My fav is soup.....so good.Google Instant Pot recipes to get some ideas.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:52 AM

Stitchnripper, thank you for This Old Gal site, her photos sure do look good. I signed up for her 'new' additions, some of her recipes would work well for church pot luck meals.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:56 AM

Also forgot to mention I do nothing on FB so only do online sites. Everyone seems to do well with the new cookers.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:48 AM

My husband is IN LOVE with the thing. There are all sorts of user groups on the internet so you don't need a cook book. My only complaint is the volume it prepares. We eat A LOT of leftover because it's only us eating. It does take some tweaking because it's very easy to over cook stuff. But enjoy. Soups from scratch are almost instant, stews, chilies, chicken stock, anything that normally needs a long slow bake. Oh yeah yogurt too.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
My husband is IN LOVE with the thing. There are all sorts of user groups on the internet so you don't need a cook book. My only complaint is the volume it prepares. We eat A LOT of leftover because it's only us eating. It does take some tweaking because it's very easy to over cook stuff. But enjoy. Soups from scratch are almost instant, stews, chilies, chicken stock, anything that normally needs a long slow bake. Oh yeah yogurt too.
you really don't have to cook a lot at one time. Sometimes I make two chicken breasts or two pork. It is so quick and easy. Well coming up to pressure takes a while. It also does great corn on the cob and no lugging a pot of water to the stove. Have a batch of yogurt in now. I've also made myself one egg. Poached or hard boiled.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
.....do you keep this thing out on counter or do you store inside a cabinet......I may have to do some cabinet rearranging........ugh!
..thanx
the rule of thumb I learned in my FlyLady decluttering is if you don't use an item at least four times a week, it doesn't belong on the counter.
If you go by that rule of thumb or not, the number one reason I don't have any of these cool items is I also don't have any room in my cupboards to store things You should have seen us trying to make the new dutch oven cast iron pot work. Finally settled on in the oven
Old 04-09-2017, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
the rule of thumb I learned in my FlyLady decluttering is if you don't use an item at least four times a week, it doesn't belong on the counter.
If you go by that rule of thumb or not, the number one reason I don't have any of these cool items is I also don't have any room in my cupboards to store things You should have seen us trying to make the new dutch oven cast iron pot work. Finally settled on in the oven
Well there ya go! I use mine at least 4 times a week, usually every day for one thing or another. Other than the Instant Pot, my counters are pretty sparse. I have the Kitchen Aid stand mixer out and that's about it.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:14 PM

MaryKatherine
how do you deal with the scent of a beef stew to make yogurt, that does not taste like stew. Also how does one deal with a beef roast scent and then make a cheesecake, with no beef transfer taste. Have not ventured into any desserts because of the savory smells.
Any advice is most welcome.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
MaryKatherine
how do you deal with the scent of a beef stew to make yogurt, that does not taste like stew. Also how does one deal with a beef roast scent and then make a cheesecake, with no beef transfer taste. Have not ventured into any desserts because of the savory smells.
Any advice is most welcome.
the stainless steel inner pot doesn't retain odors. I keep my lid upside down when I'm not using it. The smell dissipates. I also bought an extra silicone ring and use that for yogurt, but, before I had it, I didn't notice any flavor transfer. If you look on Facebook on the Instant Pot Community site, there are lots of suggestions to getting the odor out of the ring, if it bothers you. From leaving in the sunshine, to putting in the freezer, dishwasher, etc. Honestly, if you leave the lid stored upside down, you might not have a problem. Also, yogurt isn't under pressure and you don't even need the big lid, just any glass lid that fits. I have a batch of yogurt going now and I am using the glass lid from my rice cooker.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:03 PM

Stitchnripper, I do nothing on FB so that is not an option for any of that information.
I do have an extra ring but will leave the cover upside down from now on.
Would like to make a cheese cake in the future and not use my oven.
Prefer to make smaller dishes and not need to fill the freezer so much.
Will keep an eye out for a glass lid to use for non-pressure cooking.