Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Gave in and bought an instapot >

Gave in and bought an instapot

Gave in and bought an instapot

Old 04-08-2017, 01:56 PM

Default Gave in and bought an instapot

....an instapot! 6 qrt. I have had a stove top pressure cooker all my married life and mom had one as I was growing up, so not a stranger to the concept.........but this is "hi-tech" compared to my stove top and much larger..altho both are 6qrt.....

i will read the info included, but want to know from you owners what are the little secrets/hints that may make life easier for this newbie......
i hope I haven't made a foolish purchase, rather one that will make my kitchen time easier.....

and, I might add.....do you keep this thing out on counter or do you store inside a cabinet......I may have to do some cabinet rearranging........ugh!
did you buy a instapot cookbook? Or rely on online recipes? I know I'm going to have a million more questions, so be patient with me.....thanx
Old 04-08-2017, 04:11 PM

I just bought one, hoping we'll get lots of helpful hints. Several of my friends just bought one, but haven't had a chance to "pick" their brains yet.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:18 PM

I make spaghetti sauce in 25 minutes that tastes like it's been simmering all day. Cabbage rolls are out of this world cooked in a pressure cooker. You can make stocks (beef or chicken even veggie). I also make chili in mine (with canned pinto beans). You can cook dry beans in one, but you need to add baking soda I think to prevent boiling over, although I haven't tried yet.

Pork roasts, whole chicken (like for chicken and dumplings or to shred for other recipes).
Old 04-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

Congrats. I love my Instant Pots! One of my friends decided she only likes only grilled foods so I bought hers from her. Since you already have used a pressure cooker you will know to use enough thin liquid and not to overfill. If you use Facebook there is the official Instant Pot Community (if you go looking remember to use Instant Pot and not Instapot!). Google has a lot of good recipes. The "This Old Gal" blog has a ton of helpful information and tested recipes. I usually use the manual Setting and adjust up or doen instead of the presets. I love my Instant Pots. I leave
them out because I use them almost every day. Also it will shut itself off if something burns to the bottom so be sure and degrade and scrape up the bits. Tomato sauce is famous for this. For me who was so burned out with cooking this has given me some kitchen excitement. Let us know how it goes
Old 04-08-2017, 07:14 PM

I bought one recently and have made several things. Still getting to know it, but so far so good. I've found recipes online--haven't used the ones from the cookbook that came with it yet ,though. When I go to release the steam valve, I use a wooden spoon or some other long-handled utensil to avoid being scalded.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:42 AM

If you are on Facebook, I recommend Instant Pot Community. It has about 460,000 members. You can get lots of ideas and recipes there.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:50 AM

Checked out this insta-pot online and there's a couple brands out there, which one have you purchased and why? Prices range from $50 to $150.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:51 AM

I am on the list for this site and they are marvelous as they test every recipe. Great couple and funny at times, like Jackie ate half of a boiled egg before the photo was taken.

LOVE mine and as a widow I make things and then freeze some for later. I have made my dry beans in it and also chicken drumsticks for my furry Sophie, who gets the meat and the broth.

I hard boil it full of large eggs and then pickle the eggs to store in the spare frig.
Mine is on the counter all the time on a small wooden cutting board to slide out to use.

I use a pot holder when I slowly release the pressure to divert the steam and catch any moisture that spits out.
You can not go wrong with using the new appliance.

http://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/p...+Aprill+6+2017
Old 04-09-2017, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Checked out this insta-pot online and there's a couple brands out there, which one have you purchased and why? Prices range from $50 to $150.
I purchased the instant pot from tv infomercial...got that cute square copper fry pan as "gift". It seems a bit more complicated than shown on tv!

farmquilter-thanks for recipe site...signed up!

Last edited by Geri B; 04-09-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=Snooze2978;7801067]Checked out this insta-pot online and there's a couple brands out there, which one have you purchased and why? Prices range from $50 to $150.[/[QUOTE

Instant Pot is the brand name for an electric pressure cooker. Sorry to sound picky but it isn't instapot and you google you might find difficulty looking for that. This one seems to,be very popular with over 450,000 folks signed onto thr Facebook official site Instant Pot Community. There are several Facebook sites for example vegan and paleo. Google Instant Pot recipes and these are several good blogs. This Old Gal is one good one.