Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
I would like some of YOUR camping recipes >

I would like some of YOUR camping recipes

I would like some of YOUR camping recipes

Old 05-12-2016, 03:51 AM

Honestly, when we first started camping we tried to do elaborate meals. (Big breakfasts.. toast, eggs, bacon or pancakes and sausage. Lunches were hot dogs or hamburgers, and for evening meals, steak, onions, mushrooms, hash browns.) Over time, we realized that we were spending too much time with meal prep and clean up, that we would have rather spent on the trail or sitting on the beach.
Now we camp lighter with an 'eat to live' mentality. (Breakfast- bagels and cream cheese, or english muffins and PB. and fruit. Lunches- sandwiches which we can pack right after breakfast and hit the road with, and Dinners are hot dogs, burgers or hobos- foil packs with burger, carrots, potatoes and onion)
Old 05-12-2016, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
Oh, don't forget the hot chocolate, marshmallows, graham crackers and chocolate bars. (I personally like to toast the marshmallows and eat the crackers - but that's just me.)
An easy way to make s'mores is to use Keebler Fudge Stripe cookies. Then just toast a marshmallow and put between two cookies. This way it is not a hassle doing a piece of candy on a dry graham cracker. So much easier and not a costly as buying the candy/crackers separately. So off you go to the fire with three items-cookies, marshmallows and a stick. *Ü*
Jan
Old 05-12-2016, 05:51 AM

Will you have a grill or outdoor fire pit? In Boy Scouts, we used to make individual foil packets with Italian sausage links and each person could add their own potatoes, green or red bell peppers, onions, or other veggies ... Drizzle a little olive oil then double wrap with foil and mark initials with a sharpie. Grill the packets for 30-40 minutes until potatoes and sausage are done and serve with a side of sour cream.

I though tranum's egg idea was also a great tip.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Will you have a grill or outdoor fire pit? In Boy Scouts, we used to make individual foil packets with Italian sausage links and each person could add their own potatoes, green or red bell peppers, onions, or other veggies ... Drizzle a little olive oil then double wrap with foil and mark initials with a sharpie. Grill the packets for 30-40 minutes until potatoes and sausage are done and serve with a side of sour cream.

I though tranum's egg idea was also a great tip.
We will have an outdoor fire pit.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:09 AM

Take along some Bisquick. Follow the directions for making biscuits, then press the dough into the end of a stick. You can then cook it over an open fire and serve with jelly.

Donna
Old 05-12-2016, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
Honestly, when we first started camping we tried to do elaborate meals. (Big breakfasts.. toast, eggs, bacon or pancakes and sausage. Lunches were hot dogs or hamburgers, and for evening meals, steak, onions, mushrooms, hash browns.) Over time, we realized that we were spending too much time with meal prep and clean up, that we would have rather spent on the trail or sitting on the beach.
Now we camp lighter with an 'eat to live' mentality. (Breakfast- bagels and cream cheese, or english muffins and PB. and fruit. Lunches- sandwiches which we can pack right after breakfast and hit the road with, and Dinners are hot dogs, burgers or hobos- foil packs with burger, carrots, potatoes and onion)
I don't mind prep work, most will be done at home. The menu is leaning towards cooking the main evening meals at home, freezing them and packing them in an cooler.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:24 AM

Wow!! Thank you all for the fantastic food ideas. Good thing we have several months to narrow down our menu.....lol
One thing we plan on taking is an assortment of veggies. Such as zucchini, peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes, corn on the cob, whole mushrooms and plenty of skewers. This way the veggie side dish can be made to one's taste.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post

I hope you're feeling much better by October.
I plan on it, even if I have to get another steroid shot before hand........lol
Old 05-12-2016, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
We are going deer hunting in October and I am designated camp chef. I will have a cast iron dutch oven, a 12" cast iron skillet to cook meals over the camp fire. As well as a two burner propane cook stove to boil water, make eggs for breakfast.

Foods that are easy, hearty and taste good are needed. Nothing fancy my husband and son(s) are meat and potato kind of guys. No cooking with wines, tofu or other fancy smancy foods........lol Veggie dishes are a hit too as long as I can alter them a bit (minus onions and bell peppers, one son has an finicky stomach).
I've never been camping, nor do I or could I....however I do grill. We also have stomach issues, so we keep it simple, no or low spices.

A few suggestions:

One of the things I LOVE is fresh pineapple grilled. You can wrap it in foil or stick it on skewers. Doesn't take long & it really brings out the sweetness. I like to cut up a fresh one & chunk it.

Mushrooms whole, remember to soak them in water for about an hour or so first before trying to stick on a skewer or they'll fall apart.

Any veggie can be wrapped in foil or stuck on skewers. You can do plain/steam, use a little olive oil or add a sauce or marinate.

Chunks of your choice of meat. You can marinate them & then freeze them in ziploc baggies. Thaw in the bag, in a pan of water, stick on skewers or use in stew.

Bacon can be done on a foiled lined baking sheet. You can fit more on than in a 12 inch skillet & then just toss the foil. Easy clean up.

Corn Bread or biscuits done in your skillet.

Fried potatoe chunks & ham, cut into bites, would be a hearty stick to your ribs breakfast.

Enjoy your trip & happy camping.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:33 AM

I'm glad you got lots of help because I don't have any! My husband says that my idea of camping it staying at a hotel without room service!