Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Easy camping recipes NOT fancy

So we camp in a tent and take only a small 2 burner campstove.. I get a little tired of my tried & true dishes... just wondering if anyone has some suggestions for tasty meals you can make without having to have alot of fresh items on hand, thanks! (we eat alot of canned salmon and rice dishes with canned vegies)

sorry, I'm not going to be much help.. Have you googled "camping food"/recipes ?

anything you cook in the kitchen could be cooked on those.

Yes... I know that...BUT... I just wondered if anyone had some favourites to share, thanks! ( we travel with a small propane tank so can't have an exotic dinner that takes 45 min.)

http://www.goodsamclub.com We belong to Good Sam RV group. Check their web site. http://www.goodsamclub.com

Quote Originally Posted by sewgull
    http://www.goodsamclub.com We belong to Good Sam RV group. Check their web site. http://www.goodsamclub.com
    I'm in Canada ???

We always did the potatoes in foil over the fire type of thing.

I make burritos: l lb ground beef, l small can green chopped chilis, jar of salsa (whatever you like) and one small onion. Brown beef in a skillet with the onion then drain off the fat. Add all the other ingredients and simmer for a few minutes. Fill burrito size tortillas with the mixture, add shredded cheese and roll up. Can be messy but they are good. You can also add sour cream to them if you like.

Blog Entries
    Invest in a camp oven (dutch oven) You can cook ANYTHING with one of those that you can cook in your kitchen, briquets are cheap, they don't take up much space...

We have an annual "Dinner Party at the Lake" every year cooking in these black pots...we've done a meatloaf flower with bread rolls and cobbler desert, We've done pulled pork enchiladas with Spanish rice, beans.... Chicken Marsala, bread rolls, stuffed mushrooms, salad, cake...
    You get the idea. You can also do some pretty simple stuff.

If you aren't interested in learning dutch ovens, there's always soup, chili, sandwiches...

Here's a website that has GREAT people, and some totally awesome recipes and camp cooking tips and tricks...
    http://www.camp-cook.com/

Blog Entries
    i love those pot iron pies..for meals,like corned beef sandwishes,pizzas. to desserts,like lemon pie..

the recipe book i bought for camping,uses an 8" square pan and is for an oven. so thats no help.

Blog Entries
    Cook pasta at home,al dente. At campsite,make a cheese sause using milk,butter,flour & shredded cheese.When cheese is melted,add pasta & simmer on low till hot & yummy.Dried /canned milk works.

Boil potatoes at home & use them as a base for a one skillet meal, adding onion, diced peppers & eggs.

Buy a rotisserie chicken & pick meat off the bone....use in all kinds of dishes or yummy sandwiches.Add to a pot of pasta & cr of chicken soup,thinned with milk.Serve it like ch parmesan.

Check out the rice a roni recipe on here....you can also do the same with ch flavored rice or boxed pasta.

Grilled cheese & tomato,grilled chicken & tomato with parmesan.

A recipe site to try

http://www.thecampingsource.com/camp...gory_list.aspx

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Here's one I like....

Campfire Hash

1 cup diced green pepper-approx. 1 pepper
    1 1/4 cups diced onions - about 3 medium
    4 slices bacon, chopped
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 1/3 pounds ground beef
    1/2 cup catsup
    3/4 cup water
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    3 cups chopped cooked potatoes-aprox. 4 potatoes
    Saute green pepper, onions, and bacon in butter in a
    skillet until transparent. Add meat and continue to
    cook until lightly brown. Combine catsup, water,
    and seasonings and add to meat mixture. Then add
    potatoes and cook until liquid is nearly evaporated,
    about 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
    Makes 4 hearty servings.

I am a girl scout leader and one of our favorites is the one pot chicken and noodles. My girls even like it at home. canned chicken, egg noodles, canned mixed veggies, cream of chicken soup. boil your noodles. drain them and add the chicken, soup and veggies to the noodle pot. mix well. serve.

DOG

1 lb ground beef
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 cans Franco American Spaghetti with tomato sauce
    salt and pepper

Brown the meat and onion, add spaghetti, chopped off as it leaves the can. Simmer for about 15 minutes.

This is surprisingly good.

Make chili with canned beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen
    DOG

1 lb ground beef
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 cans Franco American Spaghetti with tomato sauce
    salt and pepper

Brown the meat and onion, add spaghetti, chopped off as it leaves the can. Simmer for about 15 minutes.

This is surprisingly good.
    At our house this is called bachelor spaghetti. My husband made it when he first moved out 'cause you could come home in the evening pull burger from freezer, cook it before it was thawed then eat it right from the pan. Tada...no extra dirty dishes! And it doesn't taste anything like what you'd expect.
    Try the KOA web site. They have a section of recipes.

Thank you so much everyone... added foil to our list. We have a small pick-up - we won't be adding an oven to our pile any time soon. Heading out to do a grocery shop soon, will look down the aisles for some "interesting" canned items mentioned.

Blog Entries
    We used to camp a lot, and DH was a Boy Scout Master. He found the boys were delighted to cook their food in hot ashes. He had them clean fish, etc, season it, wrap it in the biggest leaves they could find (he was a nurseryman so knew what was edible) then wrapped it in thick mud and put it under the ashes in a pit. Then they could talk a while till dinner was ready, soup from scratch on the fire signaled the underground stuff was ready. The main reason was to teach them wilderness survival.
    Of course the old favorite was S'Mores, and pancakes rich with dried fruit and maple syrup and butter will always be remembered. Real perked coffee, the odor is lovely.

Kids also love the sun ovens, which are bright tin pieces that reflect the sun onto food. We even did a rather good job putting cookie dough in pans on the dashboard of the car sitting in the sun!!!! You'd be surprised at how hot a car can get in the sun.
    The cookies took far longer to bake...but boys will eat anything when tired and hungry, especially if THEY have done the cooking!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    We used to camp a lot, and DH was a Boy Scout Master. He found the boys were delighted to cook their food in hot ashes. He had them clean fish, etc, season it, wrap it in the biggest leaves they could find (he was a nurseryman so knew what was edible) then wrapped it in thick mud and put it under the ashes in a pit. Then they could talk a while till dinner was ready, soup from scratch on the fire signaled the underground stuff was ready. The main reason was to teach them wilderness survival.
    Of course the old favorite was S'Mores, and pancakes rich with dried fruit and maple syrup and butter will always be remembered. Real perked coffee, the odor is lovely.

Kids also love the sun ovens, which are bright tin pieces that reflect the sun onto food. We even did a rather good job putting cookie dough in pans on the dashboard of the car sitting in the sun!!!! You'd be surprised at how hot a car can get in the sun.
    The cookies took far longer to bake...but boys will eat anything when tired and hungry, especially if THEY have done the cooking!!
    Great memories! Yours and mine!

Blog Entries
    One year we took a camping trip on Motorcyles space was very liimited and money was tight.I canned some meat before hand and I also made some meals that could be froze and as they thowed out that was what we cooked that day I remember making swiss steak, meatloaf and ect I even cooked and froze my spaghett sauce this all helped cut down on cooking time

We camped when our kids were young and still at home. My kids loved "hobos" which was my name for this:

In heavy duty aluminum foil, make a large ground chuck patty. ON top of this, put a serving of sliced potatoes and chopped onion. Salt and pepper well. Fold and seal the foil. Place the foil on the edge of hot coals and turn about every 10-15 minutes. They will be done in about an hour or so.
    We also took canned biscuits, rolled them out like snakes on waxed paper, then wound them around campfire forks; pinching the ends to make them stick together. Hold them above the fire where the heat from the fire can bake the biscuit. When they're lightly browned, slide off onto a paper plate, squeeze some soft butter and cinnamon sugar..yummy!

Have one of the seal-a-meal things. Would make a packet of chinese dish, chunks of chicken, pea pods, carrots, etc with spices, sauce in the package, then seal. Would make a day ahead of campout. Put rice in another package. When ready to eat, would boil a pan of water with both packets in water, unopened, to warm up the food. Works with spaghetti, cobbler, all kinds of things.

gus
    Blog Entries
    take ground beef make a bowl put in (cut up veggies)onions, potatoes and carrots.top with more ground beef then wrap in foil. can be cooked in camp fire. (boy scouts) one for each person so can change veg as to what they like

1. Brown 1 lb of sausage in skillet, drain, add 12 eggs, salt & pepper & cook until eggs are scrambled. Roll up spoonsful of mixture in warm flour tortillas.
    2. Chop up 1 pkg of hot dogs into bite size pieces. Heat with pork & beans; onion is optional. We would probably never eat this at home, but it's much better around a camp site.
    3. Make a pan of white gravy and crumble up a can of corned beef into it. Serve over bread.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast