Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Easy camping recipes NOT fancy >

Easy camping recipes NOT fancy

Easy camping recipes NOT fancy

Old 08-06-2011, 04:30 PM

I am reading this late in the summer. We just returned from camping yesterday. (by the way-none of the NYState owned campsites have electric) We had a great week eating group meals, most were prepared using cast iron dutch ovens. (If you watch carefully you can pick these up much cheaper at Harbor Freight than from any other source.) We had delicious stews, lasagna, chicken dishes, and marvelous desserts. The RV sites have many wonderful recipes. I personally take many of our main meals made ahead and frozen. Then I just heat them up quickly and add simple sides such as rolls or biscuits, salads, pasta sides. When I am camping, I am on vacation and don't want to slave making meals-the simpler the better. (I have always wanted to use a simple cardboard/tin foil solar oven but never got around to trying it out ahead of time)
Kat
Old 08-06-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by Charlee
Invest in a camp oven (dutch oven) You can cook ANYTHING with one of those that you can cook in your kitchen, briquets are cheap, they don't take up much space...

We have an annual "Dinner Party at the Lake" every year cooking in these black pots...we've done a meatloaf flower with bread rolls and cobbler desert, We've done pulled pork enchiladas with Spanish rice, beans.... Chicken Marsala, bread rolls, stuffed mushrooms, salad, cake...
You get the idea. You can also do some pretty simple stuff.

If you aren't interested in learning dutch ovens, there's always soup, chili, sandwiches...

Here's a website that has GREAT people, and some totally awesome recipes and camp cooking tips and tricks...
http://www.camp-cook.com/
Wow, Charlee, can we camp with you? :-D :-D
Please DO!! :) I'd LOVE it!!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Invest in a camp oven (dutch oven) You can cook ANYTHING with one of those that you can cook in your kitchen, briquets are cheap, they don't take up much space...

We have an annual "Dinner Party at the Lake" every year cooking in these black pots...we've done a meatloaf flower with bread rolls and cobbler desert, We've done pulled pork enchiladas with Spanish rice, beans.... Chicken Marsala, bread rolls, stuffed mushrooms, salad, cake...
You get the idea. You can also do some pretty simple stuff.

If you aren't interested in learning dutch ovens, there's always soup, chili, sandwiches...

Here's a website that has GREAT people, and some totally awesome recipes and camp cooking tips and tricks...
http://www.camp-cook.com/
Wow, Charlee, can we camp with you? :-D :-D
Please DO!! :) I'd LOVE it!!
Have to agree with you Charlee, dutch oven can cook anything!! When we camp, I call our meals "one pot wonders". My hubby has a rule that when we go camping, anything that takes over 30 minutes prep is off the list (he says he wants me to enjoy myself, not cook). I plan our suppers and it has always worked out. Less time, less cleanup and great meals even while camping!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:06 PM

Enjoyed reading everyones ideas...we are going on an extended vaca in our 5th wheel the end of this month. I have been freezing a lot of leftovers..sliced brisket, roast, grilled chicken, grilled porkchops. Then all I have to do is thaw, and reheat and add a salad or side dish. More time for sight seeing and then a quick supper. We also enjoy the "hobos"...especially when you can customize them to each persons taste preference.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:33 PM

For breakfast we would have fried potatoes chopped in squares then add scrambled eggs just before the potatoes got fully cooked. Then with that we had fried toast.