Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
I would like some of YOUR camping recipes >

I would like some of YOUR camping recipes

I would like some of YOUR camping recipes

Old 05-11-2016, 01:12 PM

Default I would like some of YOUR camping recipes

We are going deer hunting in October and I am designated camp chef. I will have a cast iron dutch oven, a 12" cast iron skillet to cook meals over the camp fire. As well as a two burner propane cook stove to boil water, make eggs for breakfast.

Foods that are easy, hearty and taste good are needed. Nothing fancy my husband and son(s) are meat and potato kind of guys. No cooking with wines, tofu or other fancy smancy foods........lol Veggie dishes are a hit too as long as I can alter them a bit (minus onions and bell peppers, one son has an finicky stomach).
Old 05-11-2016, 01:39 PM

We go camping with friends once a year - there are 12 - 18 that usually go. One thing I do is take the frozen chicken tenders, so they act like ice, then stir fry them with onions, various peppers with fajitas seasoning. You can put any vegetables that you like, like pea pods, bean sprouts, broccoli,season with some other spices. Sometimes I bring along Rice-A-Roni to go with it. (It is easier to cook that up than bring all the other seasoning so do it.) You can use steak instead of chicken. I just found that 2 of the 3 pound bags goes a long way and I don't have to cut it up.

When it is just the family I have made spaghetti - just bring along the sauce already made so all I have to do is cook of the noodles and pour the sauce on. You can do the same with chili too. Just have it already cooked - if it is frozen it works well as ice before being cooked.

For breakfast they eat the oatmeal that all you have to do is add water. No left over that way. We also have bagels, toast them on a skillet a few minutes, works well. We get the cream cheese packets to take along. And the small packets of peanut butter and jams are nice to take along too, and packets of string cheese. My husband loves to make eggs in a basket. I have even done french toast a time or two.

Lunch is always sandwiches, because we would rarely be back at the campsite for lunch.

We don't have a camper and have to deal with "bear boxes" so are limited in what we take.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:41 PM

Oh, don't forget the hot chocolate, marshmallows, graham crackers and chocolate bars. (I personally like to toast the marshmallows and eat the crackers - but that's just me.)
Old 05-11-2016, 02:39 PM

Camp food in a big pot screams "beef stew" and "cowboy chili" to me .I'm not fond of camping and have next to no experience, but I know you work up a big appetite and those foods simple and stick-to-your-ribs good. Corn bread muffins made ahead would go well with both meals.

For breakfast, I remember Shake & Pour (just add water) pancake mix being good on trips where we had to make breakfast (I'm talking condos, not camping--haha) since they seal shut, and the whole thing is disposable. Precooked bacon is a splurge I'd do, since the uncooked would take quite a while over a camp stove, right? Love me some bacon !

I hope you're feeling much better by October.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:13 PM

We rustic Camp no electricity so everything is done on the fire or the gas camp stove you can make anything you would make at home. We made an oven with a cardboard box covered with tin foil directions are on the internet and even baked cakes the kids got a kick out of this so we made lots of muffins, You can make a roast in a kettle over the fire with potatoes, carrots and onions. We have also done a hobo stew with sausage, potatoes green beans, carrots, potatoes, cabbage and corn on the cob. We do corn on the cob over the campfire on an old refrigerator grate. Toast is also great that way can make about 20 slices by the time you get the last one laid down start flipping them over and wala done. We do a lot of baked potatoes cut in half add butter and a slice of onion wrap in foil and toss in the coals. Yumm.

Last edited by Up North; 05-11-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:18 PM

Fried chicken comes out great in a cast iron pot
Old 05-11-2016, 03:51 PM

Scout burgers -- Heavy tinfoil - super thin sliced potatoes, onions on the ones that can have them, salt/pepper/garlic, then lay hamburger on top. Crimp tinfoil together and cook either on the grates or in one of the pots with lid.

Scalloped potatoes in dutch oven

Shepherd type pie... dutch oven -- meatloaf mix, drained green beans, drained corn, salsa or tomatoe sauce, instant potatoes (made up), cheese. Layer in this order and cook until meatloaf is done

Breakfast casserole -- have prescramble sausage, shredded potatoes, scramble eggs, (add onions/mushrooms/tomatoes, etc) follow directions on bisquick box and bake in dutch oven
Old 05-11-2016, 06:57 PM

Camping tip: Save a plastic jar with a screw-on lid (like a peanut butter jar) and break in enough eggs for breakfast. Pack jar in cooler and when pan is ready, add some seasoning to eggs and shake well to mix. No worries about eggs breaking in the cooler.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:04 PM
Power Poster

It has been awhile since we went cramping. LOL I would use three cast iron Dutch kettles, the bottom would have the main meal and then I put more hot briquets on that pan and then put the next kettle on for dessert. Once those were off of the fire I would use the hot briquettes to bake bread for the next day in the 3 rd kettle. Here are some recipes.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/CastIronRecipes.htm

I am not sure if those were the recipes we used, probably not, but it might give you a start. I made my own mixes and took those in gallon ziplock bags. The bread flour was in a bucket. I also took frozen chicken breast and thighs in a very large ice chest to keep the food cold.

Some more links-
http://www.scoutingthenet.com/Cookin...enCookbook.pdf

http://www.cowboyshowcase.com/dutch-...l#.VzQdsDUrLcs

some of these could easily be adjusted for camping-
http://pinchofyum.com/10-easy-recipe...n-a-dutch-oven

I am getting hungry just looking at all of this-
http://50campfires.com/35-incredibly...cipes-camping/

Last edited by Annaquilts; 05-11-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:27 PM
Power Poster

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-dorecipes.html

Some more recipes.