Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Iced Tea >

Iced Tea

Iced Tea

Old 04-10-2016, 10:37 AM

tesspug, I agree. Tea, juice, or anything else tends to taste different in plastic. I try to steep just enough tea to last about a day and a half. I use a glass jar to steep/store.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:05 AM

My husband would agree with you. I always say he's drinking pancake syrup in tea flavoring. LOL
Old 04-10-2016, 02:39 PM

I have a pitcher in my fridge at all times! I make it cold brewed (basically sun tea) but you can make it on the counter without having to put it outside in the sun. I like to use about 3/4 green tea and 1/4 'regular' tea. My daughter gave me a box of a 'fancy Tazo' tea (ginger) and I throw one of those bags in it. The very large pitcher usually lasts three days and never gets the old tea taste that I get with hot brewed tea or full strength black tea.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:13 PM

I make sun-tea all the time. Long before it be came the "in" thing. I never let my tea sit out for hours. I start with 1 gallon cold water, and add 8 Lipton tea bags. Mine is always ready in about an hour after setting in the direct sun.
I remove the bags, and store in my refrigerator. It is always fresh tasting on the third day, if it lasts that long!

Marion
Old 04-11-2016, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by GramE View Post
i'd drink tea at your house anytime!
I made a Mason jar (half full or so) of tea, doing what is suggested. Put in the refrigerator overnight. Very tasty.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:57 AM

Sweet Southern Iced Tea
Makes 1 Gallon
Southerners take "sweet tea" seriously–Very seriously

4 quart-size tea bags, preferably black tea
2 cups sugar

Bring 2 quarts cold water to a boil in a pot over high heat, then add tea bags. Immediately remove pot from heat and allow tea to steep for 4 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine 2 quarts cold water with sugar in a 1-gallon jug. Remove tea bags from pot, pour hot tea into jug, and stir well.
(Adding the hot tea to the cold sugared water, rather than the other way around, helps keep the tea clear and preserves its flavor.) Fill the biggest glasses you can find with ice and pour tea into them.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:44 AM

Speaking of plastic vs glass......I have switched from milk in plastic to glass bottles...even get $$$ back when returned...it is a "local" dairy, supplying area stores. I must say, the milk seems to taste richer. It may be just my imagination. Granted it's a bit higher priced, but I feel better tasting.