Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Iced Tea >

Iced Tea

Iced Tea

Old 04-09-2016, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

If you are in the south all tea is served sweet unless you ask for unsweet. Most servers will ask sweet, unsweet or half and half. I grew up on sweet ice tea. 1 cup of sugar per gallon is sweet, more sugar and it it's called real sweet tea. for example McDonalds sweet tea is real sweet tea, not sweet tea.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

We made sun tea years ago. With five people in the family it didn't last long. If there were bacteria in it, it sure never affected any of us.
I only have tea at restaurants, half and half about 4-5 times a year. Not much for tea.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:00 AM

I've been making sun tea in a plastic container for years. I take the bags out soon as I'm ready to put it in the fridge. Guess I drink it up too fast as no bad taste. The thing that I'm surprised at is I did not know about the bacteria info. Hmmmm I'll get a glass container and brew it in the fridge.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:16 AM

Unsweetened ice tea - what monstrosity are you speaking of?? Who would make such a horrendous beverage?? LOL, Just kidding!! Can you tell, I am originally from the South?
Old 04-10-2016, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
try sun tea. put water in a big jug and add 6 tea bags, nice flavor and energy wise, no waste. no aftertaste. maybe it's the tea bags you're using. good luck.
I only do sun iced tea. I put 1 teabag in a quart mason jar & set outside for a couple hours. I have a couple jars, so tea is always fresh. I would not make sun tea or any tea in a plastic container. They even warn about water bottles in the sun.

Last edited by donnajean; 04-10-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by patiese1 View Post
Hello
I remember seeing a tread about iced tea. I've looked for the tread and I can't find it . My husband say I'm an iced tea snob.So I want to make iced tea that I can use the next day without the old tea taste. Does any one have a recipe for unsweetened Iced tea? I would appreciate any help. Thanks
Iced tea sounds like it should be so simple. I tried to make the sun tea (put tea bags in a container, set outside, let it steep) but it turned out too strong. I didn't remove the tea bags right away, and I think it just brewed too long. I can get a iced tea (large) from McD's for $1...works for me.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean View Post
I only do sun iced tea. I put 1 teabag in a quart mason jar & set outside for a couple hours. I have a couple jars, so tea is always fresh. I would not make sun tea or any tea in a plastic container. They even warn about water bottles in the sun.
I might your proportions next.. I love tea, hot or iced. Always like trying different flavors. I get sample from Republic of Tea (pricey) and the last one they sent was super immunity green tea. It was delicious...It has a hint of orange.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:53 AM

I do mine the old fashioned was as I can't stand tea made with tea bags. I bring about 6 cups of water on the verge of a rolling boil and add a generous 1/2 cup loose leaf tea. Let mixture roll over once, remove from heat, place a tight fitting lid on it and let set 1 hour. If cool enough to handle, strain through a very fine sieve, puit in glass container and store concentrate in frig. For a 10 oz glass of iced tea I put the water and ice in glass and add 2 - 3 TBLS concentrate (to taste) A full glass pitcher takes about 1/2 cup concentrate. Adjust amounts according to your taste. Concentrate keeps in fridg a week to 10 days
Old 04-10-2016, 09:20 AM

love ice tea, i would think if i made ice tea in a plastic container and it turned rancid, i would be dead by now, done this for many many years and im still here to talk about it, thanks for all the info
Old 04-10-2016, 09:51 AM

I have gone through at least 3 Mr. Coffee iced tea makers---all pictures eventually leak. I really want to use glass vs. plastic for my tea. At this point I use a 3 quart saucepan, boil it and then add 2 Lipton DECAF iced tea bags and let it steep until I can get back to it. Then add water, lemon, and however much sugar we want.
I have not had caffeine in over 30 years except for a pepsi here and there! Much better for our health!