Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
If it cant be cooked in an electric fry pan >

If it cant be cooked in an electric fry pan

If it cant be cooked in an electric fry pan

Old 05-18-2016, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

If you have electric can you use a rice cooker also? I would do the meat/protein in the frying pan. For vegetables and fruit I would take fresh if it is for 2 weeks or so and eat most of those raw, the most perishable in the beginning and the least like cabbage to the end. If you like you can throw in the vegetables on top of your protein right after it is done in the frying pan. I do not always like a lot of grease with one pan meals and this helps cut that down
Old 05-18-2016, 06:32 AM

thanks for all the suggestion & to stitchnripper for the websites. just great. keep em comin ladies I might even do some at home.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:46 AM

I remember when electric skillets first came out and the amazement of all that could be cooked in them, even baked goods! Pineapple upside-down cake rings a bell--and brownies.

Here are some recipes that I have used the skillet:
Mexican Luncheon
1 lb pork sausage,
1 onion, diced
2 green pepper, diced
2 c cooked tomatoes
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
2 c uncooked elbow macaroni
2 c buttermilk or sour milk/cream
1 Tbsp chili powder
Brown sausage in electric skillet. Drain excess fat completely from meat. Add remaining ingredients and stir. Cover and cook until steaming at 340 deg. Reduce heat to 220 and cook for 15-20 minutes or until macaroni is tender.

Salisbury Steak
Mix your favorite meatloaf ingredients (starting with 1 lb ground beef) and shape into 4 or 5 very thick "patties". Brown on both sides. Combine 1 can tomato soup and 1 can water, 2 Tbsp sugar. Pour over patties. Simmer until done and "gravy" has thickened. "Gravy" can be served over instant potatoes.

This one is for the oven but I think could be adapted for the electric skillet:
Lazy Day Stew
1-1 1/2 lb stew meat
3 potatoes, cubed
3 carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 can tomato soup and 1 can water
2 Tbsp flour
1 pkg dry onion soup
Place all in casserole pan. Cover tightly. Bake for 3 hrs at 325 or 4 hrs at 300. Leftovers can be the beginnings of vegetable soup with the addition of a package of frozen mixed veggies.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:49 AM

DH loves this recipe, and stupidly simple.
Cabbage and Sausage-
Buy any package of sausage that you like, cut it into coin shape pieces. Saute' in a dry pan, when it is done to your liking, add a bag of "Coleslaw mix" (shredded red and green cabbage and carrots) I add a couple tablespoons of water or leftover broth and seasonings (Mrs. Dash here) , and cover, allow to steam cook until desired texture of the cabbage. Serve with a crusty bread. DH calls this one "yumpshous".
We have tried it with many sausages, German, kielbasa, breakfast, even turkey sausage! you name it, he likes them all
Old 05-18-2016, 05:16 PM

I brown pork chops (boneless) in olive oil, add Cream of chicken or Mushroom soup, After an hour I add potatoes (scrubbed skin) and diced and carrots, onions cut in chunks and seasonings. We let it cook for several hours on low, and it is complete and pork falls apart and melts in your mouth.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:37 PM

I need the recipes for a boat. I cannot cook for hours & can only use one electrical item at a time or the circuits will pop or I burn out the electric cord.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:55 PM

While we were remodeling our house I had an electric frying pan; microwave; grill to use for cooking. Did that for almost a year. I'm not sure there wasn't much I didn't cook in the electric frying pan. You can use it to boil; braise just about anything. Chicken; pork chops; even pot roast as examples.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
DH loves this recipe, and stupidly simple.
Cabbage and Sausage-
Buy any package of sausage that you like, cut it into coin shape pieces. Saute' in a dry pan, when it is done to your liking, add a bag of "Coleslaw mix" (shredded red and green cabbage and carrots) I add a couple tablespoons of water or leftover broth and seasonings (Mrs. Dash here) , and cover, allow to steam cook until desired texture of the cabbage. Serve with a crusty bread. DH calls this one "yumpshous".
We have tried it with many sausages, German, kielbasa, breakfast, even turkey sausage! you name it, he likes them all
For a really good, filling meal, stir in some cooked egg noodles or Gnocchi and top each serving with sour cream. Talk about easy and yummy!
Old 08-08-2016, 04:56 AM

All these yummy recipes...sorry I got rid of my electric frypan...may buy a new one......
Old 08-08-2016, 05:21 AM

Many years ago, I used to make something called SOS (sh_t on a shingle). Some people refer to these as porcupine balls. Mix rice and hamburger together. Form meatballs. Brown and cook until done. Make a milk gravy. Serve over biscuits or toast. You can probably find a more thorough recipe for this online. Swiss steak is also something I used to fix in an electric skillet. I haven't used one of these in years, but they are very handy.