Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
If it cant be cooked in an electric fry pan >

If it cant be cooked in an electric fry pan

If it cant be cooked in an electric fry pan

Old 05-17-2016, 02:22 PM

Default If it cant be cooked in an electric fry pan

I have a different problem then chasing hawk, I only have an electric fry pan to cook in. would love it if you can share your one pot meals. we have a boat and I use coolers to keep the foods cold. also have a small (very small) refrigerator that was from a college dorm room. I raise it all the way up and most of the foods stay frozen. I cook as they defrost. also cant carry a lot of ingredients. must be kept minimal. tx.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:13 PM

Chicken or chops with gravy

brown your meat
add a can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender. 15 - 20 minutes

serve over rice or biscuits

i had not tried this but you could try adding water and rice an cook all together
Old 05-17-2016, 03:17 PM

Ages ago while living on the east coast in MD, I saw a cookbook for use while living on a boat, probably about the same as one for camping. Many people lived on sailboats.
I grew up on cornbread and beans, and know that cornbread can stretch to several days, and that a pot of beans & ham or saltpork can cook without much tending and is filling. Most one-pot meals require multiple ingredients, so I would cook them, freeze and use up as thawed.
I once went on a DNR sponsored hiking, camping trip where scrambled eggs were carried in a jar, and pancakes were mixed in a zip-loc bag, as was a dessert. No dirty hands because the bags were kneaded from the outside.
Check the local library for books from Outdoor life or Boy Scout camping.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:31 AM

Look for simple camping recipes on the internet. There are hundreds and some of them would surely meet your needs and use what you like.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

There are a lot to choose from on Mr Google
https://www.google.com/search?q=elec...&client=safari
Old 05-18-2016, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

I'm not sure if your frying pan is like the one with the tall lid and vent on top and the temp dial on the handle. My mother used to fix roasts in ours so she didn't have to heat up the oven in the summer time. I used one for a long time until my 'ex' broke it. If I could find another and had the counter space, I would use it often. I fixed meatloaves for sandwiches later which you could do mini meatloaves like 1/2pound loaves. You could do spaghetti without cooking the noodles in a separate pot. Just lay the noodles in the meat sauce, cook slow for a few minutes then simmer with the lid on.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:36 AM

I have a recipe...my version of chili Mac. Brown ground beef, drain. Pour dry kraft Mac and cheese noodles over meat. Add the dry cheese mix and the butter. Use the amounts on the box. Add one can of petite diced tomatoes with herbs if you like, or rotel. Then add enough water to mix it all up. Probably about 3/4 cup. More if needed. Cover and simmer for long enough to cook noodles. Since I have converted this recipe to a one pot wonder, I'm not sure how long to cook. Maybe 12-15. Stir occasionally. I hope you like it.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I use mine with a domed lid to do a massive stir fry. I brown my meat in a little oil and then throw in all my vegetables sliced thin, carrots, celery, baby bok choy if I have it, mushrooms, green onions, broccoli, cauliflower etc. I put in the slow cooking vegetables first and then throw in the mushrooms and green onions etc. I use a oxo flavor package in the water that is produced ( I drain a little) and mix in a bit of cornstarch then pour it back in and stir everything a bit to coat with the thicken liquid and serve with rice.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:27 AM

I make chili in my electric fry pan. Way back when I was in Girl Scouts, we would add vegetable soup to fried ground meat when camping.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:22 AM

my husband works for a large construction compsny. we traveled, family of three, for many years. our family vacations consisted of traveling back & forth across the continental United States, living in motels while we visited forts, museums, parks etc, while traveling to next job assignment for his employer. living in motels, i carried in our supplies what i called the "kitchen box". i stocked it w staples -salt, pepper & garlic powder plus a seasoning mix if i found a good one & it would fit. rice, dried beans & shop for fresh onions etc. .... and one electric skillet. you can cook anything from pasta to steamed rice to small roasts. our skillet was one i had used as a young single nurse as i wandered from job to job before i married, started a family & began following the hubs from job to job.

some ideas..
...sauté onions, red bell pepper in butter or olive oil ..add rice & sauté a little longer or until rice starts making popping sound ..add liquid, cover & cook. if you want meat ..bacon, chopped pork chop, sausage, whatever, while sautéing vegies.
...fry a littleground beef or sausage w chopped onions, add jar/can of stewed tomatoes plus a cup or two of liquid, add dried pasta & cover. cook til pasta tender. may need to add a bit more liquid.
...i still cook w whatever foodstuffs i have on hand, but have moved from my electric skillet to my fave cast iron skillets & a crock pot.
...note: if you have room for a case of budweiser beer, bottled only, it is what i use instead of water. especially on a boat where drinking water may be a limited commodity. i say budweiser beer because i have tried every brand & style of beer over the years & budweiser lends best flavor to cooking. beans, roasts, rice, pasta, soups ...